Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
diesel22

Dometic LP Refrigerator Start

After a winter and a disconnect of the LP line to insert a circuit for a generator, the refrigerator won't start on LP. A leak check revealed no leaks, and the oven/range works just fine after initially starting the burners with a match to draw the propane up. How do I get the refrigerator to light up?
diesel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
geo

Did you check the 12VDC power?

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
hankaye

diesel22, Howdy;

I have a Dometic model # 2652. There is a control box outside in the bottom left hand corner that has 2 fuses. a 3 amp fuse for the 12vdc side of the fridge. and a 10 amp for the 120 vac.

Now, if the fridge will not work in either gas mode or 120 vac then the 3 amp fuse is gone. IT is the BIG BOSS for the fridge. If the fridge works in gas mode, then its most likely the 10 amp fuse.

As you haven't given us much to work with... I indicated how mine works. yours may be different. Depends on who made it and which model it is.
The more info you give us ... the better we are able to help you troubleshoot and maybe even find a fix for it.....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
diesel22

Thanks

I checked for voltage and all as good. I guess it just took some time to purge the air out of the lines. Now it functions as it should.
diesel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel22 View Post
Thanks

I checked for voltage and all as good. I guess it just took some time to purge the air out of the lines. Now it functions as it should.
Diesel22 -

When ever I have to work on the propane line, I always purge the air from the line by opening all the windows of the Alpine, making sure the fridge is off and there are no open flames, then turn the stove on (without lighting) for a few seconds and then off. That is usually how long it takes for the safety odor (or odour?) to reach the burner area. Wait a couple of minutes for any extra propane to air out, then try lighting the stove. It will usually light with a steady flame at that point. My stove is adjacent to the fridge, so most all of the air will be purged from the line.

As you have added a generator, I can also give you a troubleshooting tip. I have had problems with the Keystone-supplied propane pigtail connectors and the replacement Mr. Heat propane pigtail connectors I purchased at CW. These pigtails worked just fine for several months, then the "flow safety valve" within them prevented enough propane flow to start my generator. Now the generator manual gives all series of troubleshooting tips, but lists propane supply as the last one. So, if your generator starts, runs a couple of seconds and dies, try this: Wait a couple of minutes for the propane pressure to rebuild. Light the stove. It will stay lit since it does not pull as much propane as a starting generator. Now, try to start the generator and have someone watch the stove. If the generator dies and the stove burner goes out at the same time - you probably either have a pigtail flow problem (most likely) or a regulator flow problem. I found some Trident Marine Propane Pigtail Connectors that solved this problem nicely! Warning: The Trident pigtails are more expensive than the Mr. Heat at CW, but you don't have to replace them as often!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote