Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #1
Skins44

WIFI - Prepaid HotSpot Recommendations

We will be setting out for an 11 day trip this month. I need to stay connected for work and kids (3) and wife would like to stream videos and maybe watch movies at night. We typically use the hot spot on our phones, however when the data hits the limit, it throttles back to 600k.

I would like to buy a device with a prepaid, month-long plan for wifi access while on the road and camping. Any recommendations or experience with this?

Thank you

2017 Outback 276UBH
2010 F150 Lariat
Skins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
cavediver

We just bought a Verizon jetpack 8800l it's not been working very good in Key Largo Fl. It has fair reviews.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You might talk to your cell carrier and see what they have available. I have a Verizon JetPack, when the "paid for, unlimited plan" 15 gigs is used, the system throttles us back to 600K. I'd suspect that there is a plan available where I could stop by a Verizon outlet and pay for another 15 gigs, or possibly just pay for 45 gigs and it wouldn't expire for 30 days ???

Surely there is a "true unlimited download/unlimited speed" plan somewhere, but I haven't found it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:03 PM   #4
busterbrown

Who is your current provider? If not on their top tier plan, you may want to upgrade to that plan for just the month and then "downsize" after you return.

ATT is my provider and we have 15GB of hotspot data on each of our 3 phones. Does well for most of trips with our boys tablets. If cinamatic movies are watched from streaming services, we can use the android phones to cast the movies to anyone of our TVs by way of a type c to HDMI adapter. This doesn't dip into the hotspot data and we don't get throttled even going over or 50GB limit on each phone.

If trips are far and few between, it may not be worth investing in a service plan with another provider along with buying the equipment.

Personally, our 3 boys are usually "done in" after dinner or an evening campfire as their day is full of non-stop activities. They fall asleep hard many times during evening movies so we rarely need them. Plus, we're camping...nuff said.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi