Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2019, 04:36 AM   #1
Jayef

Walking on the roof

I have a 2019 Bullet 243BHS and was considering getting a cover for winterizing my unit, but this would entail me going up on the roof to do so. Can the roof of these ultralights support the weight of me doing so? My other alternative is getting a giant tarp to do the job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jayef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:56 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

There are several posts, some very recent, on this subject. It's generally thought, and Keystone's consistent answer that if the camper does not have a ladder from the factory then it's not a "walkable roof". Many people will use a couple of pieces of plywood or rigid foam to disperse the weight and walk on the roof.
Do not use a standard tarp like the 'blue plastic tarps" to cover your camper. They do not "breath" i.e. exchange air and will build up damaging heat and moisture.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:08 AM   #3
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayef View Post
I have a 2019 Bullet 243BHS and was considering getting a cover for winterizing my unit, but this would entail me going up on the roof to do so. Can the roof of these ultralights support the weight of me doing so? My other alternative is getting a giant tarp to do the job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Go to one of the larger RV dealers in your area and ask what they cover the hundred or so RVs on the lot with.
You may be surprised when they say nothing. YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:29 AM   #4
ronheater70

This still Baffles me.. Arent you responsible to keep roof sealed up good, which requires periodic insepction of all roof structures, cap seam, etc.. IE... walking on roof? I mean if you get a leak, can warranty not be denied if you havent done proper upkeep and maintenance? I just can not fathom not being able to walk on the roof. Yea O.k, plywood spreads out the weight, but mishandle that and a corner damages something so then what?
Mine has a ladder anyway but its my first one with a ladder, everything prior I had a 25' step ladder I used to get on the roof for cleaning, etc..Shoot im on my roof probably 8-10 times a year.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:42 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
This still Baffles me.. Arent you responsible to keep roof sealed up good, which requires periodic insepction of all roof structures, cap seam, etc.. IE... walking on roof? I mean if you get a leak, can warranty not be denied if you havent done proper upkeep and maintenance? I just can not fathom not being able to walk on the roof. Yea O.k, plywood spreads out the weight, but mishandle that and a corner damages something so then what?
Mine has a ladder anyway but its my first one with a ladder, everything prior I had a 25' step ladder I used to get on the roof for cleaning, etc..Shoot im on my roof probably 8-10 times a year.
Round off the corners with a jigsaw. Some folks use rigid foam as it doesn't have as much potential for damage and is lighter.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:26 AM   #6
Callie Spillane

I have a 2019 Springdale mini 17 foot and my roof has a soft spot on the roof in the front left facing the front of the camper and a bad leak. I contacted the dealer and they said the roof has no warranty! I said we have had the trailer for 4 months and had several leaks around the camper. First on had a puddle on the kitchen counter, the stove exhaust vent out side had a nice gap on top letting in water. I sealed it. another on the side wall near a window so I sealed all outside gaps I could find. Then the roof leaked on the shelf above the bed when it rained real heavy. Thats when I went on the roof and noticed the dealer did seal new white sealer in several places. So I wonder if the dealer walked all over the roof and it split one seam and created the roof leak. So the Dealer said it would be 4500 plus parts another 1500 to repair this soft spot! He said we would have to make a claim with the insurance company. I have a 1000.00 dollar deductible on the insurance! Not a good feeling about this camper. I bought a new camper to avoid problems like this. Guess I was wrong. I think for that amount of money we will fix it our self. I am a handy guy almost 60 and I will fix it dam it. Our name on the post is the puppy we have Callie she is a Cavapoo 10 months old!
Callie Spillane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:35 AM   #7
66joej

I think the accepted time frame for a dealer warranty on a roof is 6 mos. Don't know if this is universal with all Keystone dealers or not.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:06 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

When you purchase a new unit, the roof warranty is for the actual membrane. The seams and seals are generally considered “required maintenance” that the customer is responsible for after 90 days from date of purchase. Brake adjustment is the same.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #9
ronheater70

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Round off the corners with a jigsaw. Some folks use rigid foam as it doesn't have as much potential for damage and is lighter.
What about the risk climbing up and down ladders with large pieces of plywood in one hand, pulling it up with a rope would be an option I guess but you know you would need to be on the roof without the plywood for that to happen.
I have to be honest this is one of the most outrageous thing I can imagine from a manufacturer these days. Its just outright stupidity. I mean if you are never expexted to maintain the roof, then sure. My level of respect for Keystone has plummeted after this enlightenment.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
What about the risk climbing up and down ladders with large pieces of plywood in one hand, pulling it up with a rope would be an option I guess but you know you would need to be on the roof without the plywood for that to happen.
I have to be honest this is one of the most outrageous thing I can imagine from a manufacturer these days. Its just outright stupidity. I mean if you are never expexted to maintain the roof, then sure. My level of respect for Keystone has plummeted after this enlightenment.
No, what's "outrageous" is consumers (you and me) that insist RV manufacturers build 31' travel trailers that weigh less than 4000 pounds, then, when they do, complain, "The roof's too thin to walk on"....... Having cake and eating it too is a pipe dream.

Expecting any manufacturer to build XLite trailers that are built like heavy weight trailers is "the outright stupidity" you describe... Or maybe: "pipe dream #2......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:56 AM   #11
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
No, what's "outrageous" is consumers (you and me) that insist RV manufacturers build 31' travel trailers that weigh less than 4000 pounds, then, when they do, complain, "The roof's too thin to walk on"....... Having cake and eating it too is a pipe dream.

Expecting any manufacturer to build XLite trailers that are built like heavy weight trailers is "the outright stupidity" you describe... Or maybe: "pipe dream #2......
31’ trailer at 4000 lbs? Really? You don’t have to rub it in his face. I too expect some standards that allow one to do maintenance without the use of scaffolding or a crane. That said, I have been on my “do not walk on” roof and I do not walk, but I do crawl and use plywood to bridge rafters.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:10 AM   #12
Northofu1

Throw that piece of crap mattress they supply on the roof and use that to roll around on

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:28 AM   #13
thewhitehat

Walk on roof

I walk on the roof of my 2013 Cougar 30fkv (Xlite) all the time, and it doesn't have a ladder. In fact, when I had it into the dealer last for inspection, the inspector climbed up and looked over the roof and pointed out to me a couple places where I needed to add a little sealant. Don't know if all Keystone trailers have a walkable roof, but that was one thing I specifically wanted to know when I bought it, and they showed me the brochure which depicted just how the roof is constructed and it's easy to see why one could walk on it.
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:31 AM   #14
danf

I used a plank when getting on the roof. I think the best cover is a structure that you can drive under. Pole barn, etc

I also noticed that dealers don't cover them and read about covers being moisture traps and things for mice to crawl under.
danf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:05 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Throw that piece of crap mattress they supply on the roof and use that to roll around on
That 2" mattress would sag so badly you go through the roof in a heartbeat!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:10 PM   #16
MikeWild

I've got a 2017 Bullet 212rbswe ultralite and no ladder. I've walked on my roof to put the cover on in winter with no issues. Mind you I do try to stay to the edges as much as possible as my thinking is there must be more structural support there where the walls meet up to the roof. That said I'm tipping the scales at 240lbs and so far (knock on wood) I've had zero issues.
MikeWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:11 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

I was gonna ask Marshall about the heat under the tarp problem up there in Canada... how the heck would that work? Are we facing global warming? In any case, a big enough blue tarp? Wait till there is some wind and you find your RV para sailing across the frozen north!

And I agree about a pole barn for your RV. Problem with my property is we are on the side of a hill and I have a 12' wide flat spot that was leveled with tons of road base and a compactor. It would be almost impossible but if you a level spot, it will still cost $4-5K? One guy from Austin built one out of PVC and wish I could find the thread to see how that went. It was a learning process but had to be cheaper than one of those pre fab steel RV ports.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:08 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

George,

I think this might be the PVC shelter thread you're looking for: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...highlight=tarp The member that built that structure was last on the forum around mid December 2018, so a bit over a year ago. He may not respond to any comments, then he may.....

As for walking on the roof, there's a current thread where a member discovered his roof "crushed" after maintenance was done by a dealership. It happens, maybe not as a direct result of walking on it (he's not sure what damaged his roof) but the repair is still "just as expensive and just as difficult" regardless of whether it's a result of "walking on the roof", "stepping in the wrong place" or "being a larger mass than designed" being applied to the roof.....
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ht=repair+roof There are photos of his "rafter network" and the damage done to a rafter.

Although Keystone uses several different types of rafters and thickness of roof decking on trailers in different price ranges, essentially the "basic construction" (rafters, OSB overlayment, TPO membrane) is the same on all Keystone products.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof