Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
X-Jaywalker

Aux Fuel Tank Issue

Hi all...I bought this 2016 RAM used and it came with a custom Aux Fuel Tank. The problem I am having is no matter how tight the cap is (STD NPSM Vented Cap) it leaks. Not a lot, which tells me it might just be the Vent. But I dont like having combustable fluid anywhere around us. SAFETY FIRST.

Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this issue. Am I making a mountain out of mole hill???[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas Cap 1.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	24667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas Cap 2.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	24668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anderson.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	24669  
X-Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
notanlines

Regretfully, the system used to vent on your particular tank will not work if the vehicle is on any unlevel surface at all. Ours vents at the very top with a small backflow valve at the end of the small hose. First I would look for a cap that seals the tank tightly, and then figure out an alternative way of venting the tank, possibly by filling with water and actually fabricating another vent hole.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Jaywalker View Post

Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this issue. Am I making a mountain out of mole hill???[ATTACH]
Depends... do you smoke? Perhaps with the tank EMPTY, drill a hole and some pipe thread on the tank where you can screw in a pipe going straight up a few inches then put a hose on it and run it over the front of your bed. Sort of like the dirt bike guys do. A cap with NO venting would be needed and you can likely plug the venting on your current cap. Alternatively contact the tank manufacturer customer service and find out if they have any fixes; dumb to vent a tank like that through the filler cap cuz on a hot day it will get even more wet on the outside as the fuel pressurizes and expands.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:36 AM   #4
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Diesel isn't explosive like gasoline. Only thing with diesel it collects dirt and makes a mess. You may have to replace the tank if you can't find a fix. Maybe the cap is bad. The cap is supposed to hold a specific amount of pressure that way it will keep fluid in and keep tank pressure to a minimum.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #5
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Regretfully, the system used to vent on your particular tank will not work if the vehicle is on any unlevel surface at all. Ours vents at the very top with a small backflow valve at the end of the small hose. First I would look for a cap that seals the tank tightly, and then figure out an alternative way of venting the tank, possibly by filling with water and actually fabricating another vent hole.
I have RDS tool box aux fuel tank with the same venting backflow that you mentioned the valve must be defective . I had the plastic screw in cap brake it allowed fuel to psiphon up im useing a small pump to transfer fuel to my main tank causeing it to over flow from pressure in the tank . I bought a new cap that that is vented that stoped the siphon. It should not have happened even with a bad cap. My project for the day installing a new vent valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191220_085709.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	24677  
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, tank