Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
purebred

Grey tank sizes

Would anyone know what size the grey tanks are on the new Keystones? My spec sheet shows 83 gallons for both so I'm assuming 40 gallons each? It would be nice if they labeled the tanks where the valves are. Which valve for which tank and also tell you which sinks fed which grey tanks. Unfortunately the grey tank which our washer feeds over run today inside our trailer. What a mess. Luckily we were able to shut it down quick. My fault but it would be nice if Keystone would do something as simple as label the hand valves.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
bobbecky

On our rig, the black tank is the same size as the bath grey tank, and both are 53 gallons. Our specs says we have 93 gallons of grey, so the remaining 40 gallons is what the galley tank holds. On your rig, your specs say 83 gallons grey, and your black tank is supposed to be 49 gallons. I would guess your galley tank capacity might be 34 gallons if the black and grey tanks are the same size of 49 gallons. I've been under our rig and have seen the tags on the black and grey tanks, and they are the same size. Yours may be different, but this is a start. Your dealer should be able to look up on their parts search to verify tank sizes. Some food coloring and a little time playing with the system should be able to tell which valve operates which tank. Both valves closed, run water in the shower and put some coloring in the water. Open the valve you suspect is the shower and if the colored water exits the drain, that's one down. Then, again with the valves closed, use a different color down the washer drain and run some water down the drain. Again open a valve that may be from the washer. This will identify which tank, and do this with the rest of the fixtures. A clear drain fitting will make this easier, too.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:54 AM   #3
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
On our rig, the black tank is the same size as the bath grey tank, and both are 53 gallons. Our specs says we have 93 gallons of grey, so the remaining 40 gallons is what the galley tank holds. On your rig, your specs say 83 gallons grey, and your black tank is supposed to be 49 gallons. I would guess your galley tank capacity might be 34 gallons if the black and grey tanks are the same size of 49 gallons. I've been under our rig and have seen the tags on the black and grey tanks, and they are the same size. Yours may be different, but this is a start. Your dealer should be able to look up on their parts search to verify tank sizes. Some food coloring and a little time playing with the system should be able to tell which valve operates which tank. Both valves closed, run water in the shower and put some coloring in the water. Open the valve you suspect is the shower and if the colored water exits the drain, that's one down. Then, again with the valves closed, use a different color down the washer drain and run some water down the drain. Again open a valve that may be from the washer. This will identify which tank, and do this with the rest of the fixtures. A clear drain fitting will make this easier, too.
Appreciate the info. I know how to figure out what each tank and valve is . I was just curious if anyone knew if both grey tanks were the same size or not.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:18 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
Would anyone know what size the grey tanks are on the new Keystones? My spec sheet shows 83 gallons for both so I'm assuming 40 gallons each? It would be nice if they labeled the tanks where the valves are. Which valve for which tank and also tell you which sinks fed which grey tanks. Unfortunately the grey tank which our washer feeds over run today inside our trailer. What a mess. Luckily we were able to shut it down quick. My fault but it would be nice if Keystone would do something as simple as label the hand valves.
Did you conduct a PDI when you bought the camper? The dealer should have had a tech perform a PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) where they go go over all operating procedures while checking for any issues BEFORE you ride off into the sunset with your shiny new pride and joy. As for the size of each tank well the dealer might know or can call Keystone and ask them. The decals identifying the valves fall off and are mis identified often. When you identify the gray tank for the washing machine open that valve before running the washer.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Did you conduct a PDI when you bought the camper? The dealer should have had a tech perform a PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) where they go go over all operating procedures while checking for any issues BEFORE you ride off into the sunset with your shiny new pride and joy. As for the size of each tank well the dealer might know or can call Keystone and ask them. The decals identifying the valves fall off and are mis identified often. When you identify the gray tank for the washing machine open that valve before running the washer.
I doubt any PDI would consist of the size tanks in the trailer. Yes I did have a PDI. The person doing it was not much help. I guess the answer is to measure out one grey tank and then figure the gallon-age for both. Simple enough. I was just curious if another Keystone enthusiast could have saved me the hassle. Thanks
Old 09-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
travelin texans

This question gets ask a lot & I'm curious how knowing the size of the tank/tanks will help you in any way? So you know each is 40 gallons, do you meter showers or washing machine drains? Not trying to be a smart a##, just curious!!! The sensors aren't of any use with any useful information in the majority of rvs.
If you're connected to sewer leave the washing machine tank valve open, most likely the shower & bath lavatory drains into the same tank, just close a couple days before draining the black. Or add a twist on valve to the rv then add your hose, then you can open both grey tanks with the add-on closed & have them equalize.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Purebred that's why I stated the dealer might know the tank sizes. Not trying to be critical about your PDI but I have read about inadequate PDIs in posts over and over again. If the person conducting the PDI is incompetent than I'll bet a word to management about getting the information you seek before accepting and paying ten's of thousands of dollars would result in getting a better informed person to answer your questions. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
purebred

Thanks Gentlemen, I was just curious for my own information if someone actually knew each tank's total. I guess others have had the same questions apparently. No problem, like I said, just a matter of filling one tank and subtracting the gallons.

Tags
tank