Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2019, 05:03 AM   #1
dgt111

Trailer Awning

Good Day Everyone.
I just purchased a 2014 Keystone Hideout 38 BHDS to replace my 1987 Glenwood. I love this new trailer. It has a motorized awning that I have to remove so I can put on the aluminum awning I had on my old trailer.
Is there anywhere that I can find instructions on how to remove the awning that's on the trailer now?
Thank You.
dgt111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:51 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You might do a GOOGLE search for the brand name followed by "installation instructions pdf" (Example: Dometic CareFree Awning installation instructions pdf )

I don't know of any awning manufacturer that provides "removal instructions". Usually, it's just a reversal of "installation instructions".

Here's the link I used and the results provide several options to download the installation instructions: https://www.google.com/search?ei=jlh...=1568037039826

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:53 AM   #3
dgt111

Thanks John. I will check it out.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:00 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There was a member looking for awning parts or a complete awning at a reasonable price a few weeks ago, so if you're interested in selling your awning, post it in the classified section on the forum, who knows, that member may live "around the corner" from where you're located and both of you could benefit from this mod.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-09-2019, 06:24 AM   #5
dgt111

Thanks John. I do plan on selling the awning once I get it off. My trailer is in Bobcaygeon, in Ontario Canada. I hope to have it off this weekend.
I found a video on how to take off awnings but I can't find one yet that shows how to disconnect the electric motor from the awning. I'm still looking.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The easiest and maybe the safest way to disconnect the motor is to remove the inside switch, unplug the two slide connectors on the back side of the switch, wrap them in electrical tape so they don't short out, repurpose the switch for another function or reinstall it for a later use, then go outside, unplug the motor at the awning roller tube/awning arm and proceed to remove the awning. I'd pull the wire out just enough on the trailer side to cut it, insulate the ends, push it back into the trailer wall and leave it. The way trailer insulation is installed, I wouldn't risk trying to pull the wires out of the sidewall. If you've wrapped and insulated the ends behind the switch and the end at the trailer sidewall, then there's no live wires to be concerned with. Trying to remove them from the wall would probably cause more damage than benefit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-09-2019, 07:45 AM   #7
dgt111

That's great. I will try this on the weekend. Thank You

Tags
awning