Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #1
Danno

Sony speakers size

I know this is a stretch, but here it goes. I have a 2010 361 LEV Raptor that needs the outside speakers replaced. I don't have access to it right now but need to know some info on the the Sony speakers themselves.

I believe they are 6 1/2" but don't have a model number to be sure. I think they may be model XS-MP1610W looking on the web from Sony back in 2010.

My concerns are, I don't want to increase the hole size, and I'm not sure of the depth of the speaker.

If this helps, the entire system is Sony.

Has anyone replaced or have knowledge on this vintage of speaker/toyhauler?

Thanks,
Dan
2002 DCB with twin Mercury 300x's
2013 Avalon 2685 with Honda 250
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:40 AM   #2
MisaLetet

I understand our concern. would send a pic and ask the question to Sony to be sure.

We replaced two Kicker L7 sub woofers in our boat this year. They were about 5 years old. We replaced them with the new Kicker L7's and ran into what you are trying to avoid. The new speakers fit just fine in the old cut out but they were longer in the rear and we have to make an adjustment. grrr!
MisaLetet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
Keithw

I put kickers in mine

I put 6 1/4 inch in mine. I had to enlarge the hole a little. I did this on both my campers. Not that much work. I used a dremmel with the bonnet and a cutting bit. Be careful those are sharp so hang on to it good. Another tip, when you unhook the two wires make sure you hang on to them or put something on them so they don't fall down inside camper. You may have to redrill holes and silicone the outer side for moisture. They sound great as compared to the stock stuff. Good luck!
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:24 AM   #4
hdrolling

We had the same speakers inside the ceiling of the garage, so I pulled those out and stuck them outside and then read the part number and ordered new ones for the inside.

Don't remember the number and not sure my 15 would be the same as your 10?

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
Danno

Hi all and thanks for your response, I am going to try and remove them tonight and will report back.
I just replaced six speakers in our pontoon boat with 6.5" Kicker marine, wow what a difference. If the Sonys are too small, I'm not opposed to opening up the hole providing there's enough depth. If not, I could machine some spacers.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
Danno

Well I removed them and they are Sony 6.5" and new Kickers are on the way. The cone in the Sony's were cracked and crazy brittle! I did find it funny that Keystone and hundreds of posts on many forums say "Do not use silicone anywhere on a RV" Keystone sealed them with silicone...
Old 08-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #7
Danno

Installed the new speakers last night, what a difference. But I am still experiencing another issue that maybe the brain trust can help with.

We would adjust the volume inside to be just right, switch to outside via the wall switch and turn OFF the inside speakers, the outside speakers you can barely hear. This happen with the old and new speakers.

If you turn up the volume though they sound fine. Why is that?
Old 08-02-2019, 07:49 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Installed the new speakers last night, what a difference. But I am still experiencing another issue that maybe the brain trust can help with.

We would adjust the volume inside to be just right, switch to outside via the wall switch and turn OFF the inside speakers, the outside speakers you can barely hear. This happen with the old and new speakers.

The neighbors will really appreciate the reduced volume on the outside speakers.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

One possibility, maybe not what you actually have going on: If the impedance of the speakers is different, the amount of energy to drive them is different. So, you may have "more efficient speakers inside" and "less efficient speakers outside". When you turn up the volume on the inside speakers to "6" and deliver 1.5 watts to the inside speakers, then switch to the outside speakers, that 1.5 watts may only drive the less efficient speakers at a "2" rather than a "6"...... So, when your turn up the volume to 12 and are sending 3 watts to the speakers, they are as loud as the inside speakers are at 1.5 watts. Maybe, maybe not, but one reason......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #10
Willy

Newer speakers may require a bit more power. Are they running off of an amplifier? If so, adjust the gains for those speakers and set them where you are comfortable.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #11
Rber1234

Quote:

My factory installed outside speakers are the same way. Can be at perfect volume inside and can barely hear anything on outside speakers. Just a guess bit I think they are designed to be like that to keep outside more quiet.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speakers