Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #41
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Read that.... scary. This may sound weird, but when out hiking the lack of sound Is why I’m out there. I love Def Leopard cranked in my ear as much as anyone else, but don’t want to be deaf if a “leopard” has me on the menu.

We frequent mountain lion country all the time and in fact have a vacation home in an active area. They are quiet, smart and stealthy. A fellow we know shot one on his ranch. It was almost 200 lbs. and looked about 6' long. I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to "wrestle" something like that - they are stout. And yes, I carry a sidearm as well but if you are distracted and unaware of the animal, you may never have a chance to use it by the time you are fighting for your life after it has pounced on you. I believe the animal in this article was a juvenile.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

I was elk hunting back in the early 70's about 35 miles north of Steamboat Springs, right on the Wyoming border. I was sitting under a rock outcropping, on the edge of a clearing. A couple of rabbits were playing in the clearing and I was about to get up and walk out for lunch when a mountain lion came flying over the top of me, toward those rabbits. It caught one, shook a couple of times and loped off headed in the opposite direction I needed to go.

I was hunting, paying very careful attention to all the sounds, definitely watching and listening for any hint of movement around me. I had no earthly idea that cat was literally right over me. Also, I have no idea how long it had been there, whether it was stalking me and the rabbits were an easier meal or ....

I can say that I learned that day, not to crawl up under a rock ledge making my back "blind to view".... It was most definitely a cautious walk out to the truck that day......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #43
66joej

We are having a particularly big problem with cougars (not RVs) this winter. Conservation people don't know why but they are coming right into town. Their theory is with the heavier than normal snowfall the big cats can operate easier down here. Been a few kills near town. We have a lot of bighorn sheep, deer and wild turkeys wandering the streets. Discharging firearms not allowed in town. I guess if approached by a cougar we just have to talk him/her down.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #44
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
We are having a particularly big problem with cougars (not RVs) this winter. Conservation people don't know why but they are coming right into town. Their theory is with the heavier than normal snowfall the big cats can operate easier down here. Been a few kills near town. We have a lot of bighorn sheep, deer and wild turkeys wandering the streets. Discharging firearms not allowed in town. I guess if approached by a cougar we just have to talk him/her down.
Pepper spray, bear spray or a cattle prod ?????? And I thought we were "in the sticks" where we live LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post

Just say "here kitty, kitty, kitty" and offer them some kitty treats.....

Seriously, from what I've seen, all of them would rather be away from you than challenge you. I've seen several that move away from me and one that just sat there looking at me about 60 yds. away when I was hunting (I decided to move on to "new" hunting grounds!). Now, if they were starving because their source of food has been compromised, I don't know. Attacks are pretty rare but they do happen. Here's a link to an article that happened near us a while ago that puts another spin on why they might be there;

https://www.kvia.com/news/deputies-k...exico/55852566

I think the animal will be moving pretty quick when they try to get you from what I've seen so I suppose carrying anything would be better than carrying nothing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:23 AM   #46
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just say "here kitty, kitty, kitty" and offer them some kitty treats.....

Seriously, from what I've seen, all of them would rather be away from you than challenge you. I've seen several that move away from me and one that just sat there looking at me about 60 yds. away when I was hunting (I decided to move on to "new" hunting grounds!). Now, if they were starving because their source of food has been compromised, I don't know. Attacks are pretty rare but they do happen. Here's a link to an article that happened near us a while ago that puts another spin on why they might be there;

https://www.kvia.com/news/deputies-k...exico/55852566

I think the animal will be moving pretty quick when they try to get you from what I've seen so I suppose carrying anything would be better than carrying nothing.
Oregon had a woman killed by one last year near Welches. Here in Cental Oregon we’ve probably had the police kill 6-8 last year because they are in town and have no fear of man anymore. One killed last week or week before if I remember.

My step bro was elk hunting last year (second hand info) He had a bear tag and walked up on a cat eating a calf elk. Cat got scared and ran off, he couldn’t understand why till he saw his bear, he tagged it. He didn’t have a cat tag and was kinda bummed.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote