Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
ajk170

A new 2018 Alpine already minor issues

Hello everyone! I'm not exactly a new member but I certainly haven't been active on here for a while. My retired in-laws just traded in their Class A Thor Challenger in which they were full-timing for the last two years for a 2018 Alpine Front Kitchen and a 2018 Dodge Ram dually (4:10 dif with Aisin tranny and the 30K hitch with factory it's a pretty nice ride) and as happy as they are with their trade, they too have found things that are sub-standard. Specifically, the 2018 Alpine has cabinets that ope "up" as in, overhead compartments/cabinets. The issue is, it appears Keystone used the same European hinges on these as they did on all the rest of the cabinets and the "overhead" ones do not stay open. In their old (2015) Thor Challenger, their overhead compartments/cabinets had hinges that had really strong springs and held them open. They nor my wife and I ever paid attention to what those hinges were (we regret that now) and my in-laws want to find those and put those on. I've looked at the little tiny hydraulics (Trekwood and amazon) as an "in-lue" idea but I'm hoping somebody recognizes what I'm talking about and has also changed these out and can suggest where to find them. I've searched uncle google and feel that I don't have the right naming convention to search this properly. Thanks in advance for your help!
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
trucker LOU

I had the same problem on my 2010 Springdale. Easy fix was to move hinges to the side. old hinge holes at top are almost unnoticed as they are above eye level. you leave the handles and catches as they are.----Lou----
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1065.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	19926  
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

We installed them on all our "upward opening cabinet doors" on previous RV's. Keystone has, more or less, stopped installing doors with hinges on the top surface and most now swing open from the side. You can find "door struts" in a number of RV parts stores and they are a "normally used" item. I've never heard of a preference for plastic or metal and I haven't heard of any durability issues with either material. There are several threads on this forum (most at least 3 or 4 years old) that discuss them. I've never heard or read of anyone who regrets installing them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DOOR STRUT.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	19927  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
bobbecky

Are you looking for European style cabinet hinges? If so, I looked at every one of these on Amazon and found nothing like you described that would hold open a horizontal opening door. I might help if you posted a photo of what is already installed.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:45 PM   #5
ajk170

Bobbecky- I wish I had photos of what it looked like- the camper is over in a storage lot. We plan to go over there in a few days and I’ll get some photos. I appreciate the help!
Old 01-17-2019, 06:18 AM   #6
ajk170

JRTJH- Thanks for the picture! This is what I was thinking I'd have to do- I appreciate your help! The picture gives a great guide as to what I need!
Old 01-17-2019, 06:21 AM   #7
ajk170

Trucker-Lou: I like the idea, I never thought of that though my 2015 Outback has cabinets that are like that and we prefer these types of cabinets! Great idea, Thanks!

Tags
alpine