Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
brodiegg

auto leveler

So went for the second time to Mueller State park which has paved pull through s. When I unhitch, set the chalks, and then hit auto level button, the coach levels with the wheels off the ground?? From what I read, you should not do this. I finally lowered the hitch mount on the trailer and then leveled it and at least the tires stayed on the ground. Yes these sites are not perfectly level but they are not that bad. I have a 2018 Cougar half ton 27res. any thoughts?????
brodiegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
Javi

I don't worry even a little bit about my tires being off the ground when using my auto level.. The jacks are more than capable of lifting the trailer weight.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I don't worry even a little bit about my tires being off the ground when using my auto level.. The jacks are more than capable of lifting the trailer weight.

Yup! We leave trailers up in the air to do axle services all the time. Only caveat is a jack stand when working underneath and the wheels are off. Haven’t had a single jack fail yet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
ChuckS

My only concern with tires off the ground is the rig can’t possibly be as stable as it would be if tires were touching the ground and supporting some of the weight.

I am also concerned about bending one of the aft leveling legs. My system is 6 point hyd level up.

Sure it will lift entire fifth wheel off the ground. But I’m not willing to risk bending one of the hyd ram cylinders. That’s just me ..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #5
travelin texans

We've found with ours that once unhitched & truck moved if we lower the front a couple inches before hitting auto level it will level lower, usually without lifting the wheels. It will however erase the rehitch memory which never worked real well anyway.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
brodiegg

Thank you, that is what I also found, I think the computer wants to level the coach so that the hitch receiver is at the level of the truck so the wheels come off the ground because the coach is "leveled" too high.
brodiegg is offline   Reply With Quote