Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
Tbos

Dual Pane Windows?

Are dual pane windows worth the extra money? The dealer says they only add 1R value. Do they decrease condensation on the windows in the winter?

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
Pull Toy

I had them on a previous trailer, and would not do it again. The condensation build up between the panes, and the excessive humidity in the camper made me run a dehumidifier in cold weather when I was year rounding, and at least twice a month, I had to clean between the windows if I wanted to see out. Your trailer needs to breathe to stay healthy. Between breathing, and hot water use (showers, etc.) you're introducing a huge amount of moisture into a small space. If it's too airtight, you get condensation, and possibly mold. We even leave the roof vents slightly cracked open just for air exchange except in the coldest weather.

I would rather pay a little extra for propane and have a warm dry camper, or if your on a full hook-up site, get a small electric space heater. If it's super cold try shrink wrap temporary window plastic kits. Lot's cheaper... and reversible!

Good luck.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
I had them on a previous trailer, and would not do it again. The condensation build up between the panes, and the excessive humidity in the camper made me run a dehumidifier in cold weather when I was year rounding, and at least twice a month, I had to clean between the windows if I wanted to see out. Your trailer needs to breathe to stay healthy. Between breathing, and hot water use (showers, etc.) you're introducing a huge amount of moisture into a small space. If it's too airtight, you get condensation, and possibly mold. We even leave the roof vents slightly cracked open just for air exchange except in the coldest weather.

I would rather pay a little extra for propane and have a warm dry camper, or if your on a full hook-up site, get a small electric space heater. If it's super cold try shrink wrap temporary window plastic kits. Lot's cheaper... and reversible!

Good luck.

That’s good to know. I assumed the two panes were sealed like in a house. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #4
Tbos

I just talked to the Keystone Alpine Rep and he said they are now sealed between the panes. Do you think they would help with the condensation being sealed?

Old 02-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I always thought I wanted dual pane windows in our RV but couldn't find any when we bought this last time. In retrospect, I doubt I will ever want them.

We have dual pane windows in all the windows in our houses. They are problematic enough with the seals leaking, collecting condensation and "marks" inside them etc. - and they are EXPENSIVE to replace.

In an RV I can't possibly imagine they could actually seal the windows and hope they would stay. With the excessive movement of an RV going down the road I suspect it would be no time and the seals would be gone and you would be trying to figure out how to see thru those fogged up windows - and you can't get inside them.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
travelin texans

I have to disagree!
Ours came with dual panes (no they are NOT sealed) & have lived fulltime across the country & have had no problems with the windows. No they don't sweat inside like the none duals, they do a great job of reducing the noise from outside & they help with heating/cooling.
That's also an item that can be negotiated with your whether you pay for them or not.
Personally I'd order them again!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #7
BigTexRex

I've had both and I would not be without dual-pane windows again. They almost eliminate condensation problems and reduce outside noise. We just bought a new Keystone and I paid the extra for the dual-pane windows...worth every penny. They are less problematic than they used to be.
BigTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #8
Tbos

Thanks, everyone.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #9
CWSWine

I now own a motorhome that has both dual pane and single pane glass and I don't see any difference between the condensation on the single pane or dual pane windows. I have not had any trouble with condensation between the glass but I do know that at the last rally I went to there was a guy that removed and resealed dual pane windows and he was book for the entire show.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #10
66joej

We have a 2013 Cougar 24RKSWE TT. It came with the dual pane windows though not sealed.
Maybe it was only on Oregon made Cougars.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #11
MattHelm21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexRex View Post
I've had both and I would not be without dual-pane windows again. They almost eliminate condensation problems and reduce outside noise. We just bought a new Keystone and I paid the extra for the dual-pane windows...worth every penny. They are less problematic than they used to be.
I’ve also had both. Had them on my last trailer which I kept for 16 years with no problems, no condensation, no mold and one 13,500 BTU A/C that kept a 36 foot fifth wheel with high ceilings cool in high 90 degree temps. I’m kicking myself for not holding out for that option on our current unit. I know I was setting myself up for trouble with a mostly black unit and the extra interior volume. However, I figured with 3 15,500 BTU A/C units I’d have no problem. I think if I had the dual pane windows I’d not have a problem. In 95 degree outside temperatures, you can feel the heat right through the blinds with the sun on them. I never had that with the dual pane windows.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #12
Stanbro

I have had trailers with and without dual pane windows. The improved noise isolation is the biggest plus for me. My current rig is 11 years old and has been pulled over 50,000 miles with no issues related to the dual panes. I specifically ordered them on a new Alpine that is being built.

RVs are poorly insulted and have little thermal mass so they heat up and cool down quickly. If you only camp in moderate temperatures, single pane is probably good enough. If you plan on winter travel, the more insulation the better. Even if they only provide 1 R value increase in insulation, RVs have such a larege percentage of surfsce area dedicated to glass, that 1 R is going to help.
Stanbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows