Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
egodshall

Cougar 30RLS Winterization - How To Access Water Pump?

Hello,

I have a 2012 Cougar 30RLS which has the bedroom toward the front of the trailer. I plan on winterizing it this weekend, but I don't know how to access the water pump. When the pump is on, it sounds like it is coming from the bedroom on the left hand side facing the bed. There are no access panels that I can find.

Does anyone know how to get at the water pump? What is the easiest method?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Eric
egodshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Here is the floor plan for the Cougar Xlite 30RLS:

Water pumps are almost always mounted on the floor. That suggests that the only places the pump could be are under the bathroom sink or under the driver's side wardrobe. You have a pass-through storage area under the bed. I would guess that the pump is either behind a panel accessible from the pass-through or if you lift up the bed to access the under bed area, the pump will be in there somewhere, possibly behind a panel and under the wardrobe. If there is a drawer at the bottom of the wardrobe, remove it and look in there, too.

My experience is that if at first you can't find the water pump, keep looking. It's there and it is accessible.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
ohiocougar

Not sure if the setup is the same but I have a 2012 28RBS. We found the water pump on the left hand side of the the bed. The only way we could access the water pump was find two screws with a magnet on the panel beside the bed and then we were able to lift up the panel about 4" to access the hose. The panel was not made to come off and I thought if I lifted it any further I would break it. It was a real disaster because you had to hold the jug of antifreeze at an angle to stick the hose in and then try not to spill it on the floor. Definetely something the DH will have to modify for next season. Good luck.
ohiocougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:20 AM   #4
egodshall

Thank you both for the quick replies... Much appreciated!

I'm not looking forward to doing this winterization... my last trailer was much more stright forward. Of course this trailer is much nicer!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
SteveC7010

Looking at the floor plans and pics for the 30RLS and the 28RBS, the front end and bedroom areas appear identical. If so, then your wardrobe does not extend all the way down to the floor. If this is the case, then the pump is likely under the bed on the street side of the trailer. I am thinking that there may be better access to the pump as I mentioned previously: either a removable panel in the pass-through or a removable panel somewhere in the under bed area. If you lift the bed up, you should be able to find it.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
ohiocougar

egodshell- If you do find an easy access as Steve suggested, please let me know so that I won't have so much trouble next year.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Javi

I think....

The little shelf in front of the wardrobe on the left side of the bed has 4 screws... two against the wall and two under the bed.. lift the bottom of the bed (under bed storage area) and have someone hold it in the up position while you remove the two screws under it... throw screws away... let bed back down

Next remove the two screws against the wall and then pull up and out on the board and there is the pump...
Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
egodshall

Thanks again for the help... I'll post (including pictures) how it goes this weekend. If I figure out any tricks to make it easier, I'll be sure to post them as well.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
ohiocougar

Hopefully Javi's method works for you and then I will know better next year
Old 11-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
boalsburgpighead

Water Pump

Hope this helps- I just purchased a 2012 30rls and my water pump is beside the bed on the drivers side. it was accessed by simply lifting up that shelve that is beside that side of the bed. I don't know if they're all similar or not.
boalsburgpighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
egodshall

That would be awesome if it is that easy... My fingers are crossed!
Old 11-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
egodshall

Well... I wimped out and ended up using a hand pump ($19.99) to force the antifreeze through the lines via the city water connection. It took me about 10-15 to run it through all the hot and cold water lines. It took 2 full gallons in just the lines and I used most of a third gallon pouring down the drains to fill the traps.

Gotta say... It worked very well and it was a fool proof method.

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks,
Eric
Old 04-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
stevehill

New to this forum and just saw your post- Were you able to locate the access panel? We also have a Keystone 30RLS and can't find it! Driving us nuts.
stevehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
Quibley

pump location

our 30rls has its pump on the left hand side of the bed. as someone earlier said, you simply lift the bed up to gain access to the left side panel. it is not under the bed, but rather it is the left side carpeted shelf next to the bed. you have to lift the bed up to be able to open it up all the way.
under neath is the pump, and the bypass.
I've winterized 2 years in a row now and have needed barely over 1 gallon of the pink stuff. You do need to add a large hose for the bypass but once you do that you can stick the hose into the gallon jug of pink stuff, open up the faucets one at a time until the pink comes through.

this is much easier than our old popup.
Quibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
gepaine

Easier Method

Drain fresh water tank.
Add 2 gallons of anti-freeze to fresh water tank.
Pump anti-freeze from tank instead of from gallon jug.

No muss, no fuss, and no need to locate water pump.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #16
geeman

28rbs water pump

Mine only has one screw in the middle of the lid to the left side of the bed. flip it up and by pass and hose was already there. Easy peasy. About 1/2 to 3/4 gallon and you have pink at all outs.

Did you find the hot water heater bypass? Need to pull a drawer out to gain access.

I also put a 1 litre pressure tank in the box with the water pump. Therefore the pump does not run for each time a faucet or toilet is run. Especially nice at night for a toilet flush.
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #17
taxrew

On my 30rls Cougar Lite 2012 the pump is next to the bed step on the driver's side. There is one screw forward on the top of the step against the platform.
taxrew is offline   Reply With Quote