Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
pawpaw

Seal under kitchen slide is bad.

Noticed a piece of rubber from the seal dangling under the trailer. It came from the seal and was close to a foot long. Dealer has no seal in stock and I'm wondering if it's worth it to order online...they're not cheap and I don't want to order the wrong seal. Trailer is a Fuzion 371 and its the sweep seal under the kitchen slide. Trailer is only 3 yrs old and I would think they should last longer then this.

Gap is where rubber is missing.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
bobbecky

Would one of the seals shown on this link be the one you are looking for?

http://www.trekwood.com/parts-search...23+%2F+Keyword
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I know lots of folks on here will disagree with this, but, I had one of mine disintegrate as well. First, you need to know where that piece went. If it's under the slide get it out. You also need to try to determine what caused it. Secondly, for me, I had the dealership do it. It looked like it was in some sort of T track and I did not want to try to elevate the slide to replace it. Don't remember the cost but it wasn't too bad as I remember.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:21 AM   #4
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Would one of the seals shown on this link be the one you are looking for?

http://www.trekwood.com/parts-search...23+%2F+Keyword
Looks like more then one could be the one I need...I called dealer yesterday and even sent a picture but no response yet. Thanks for the link!
Old 10-21-2017, 02:26 AM   #5
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I know lots of folks on here will disagree with this, but, I had one of mine disintegrate as well. First, you need to know where that piece went. If it's under the slide get it out. You also need to try to determine what caused it. Secondly, for me, I had the dealership do it. It looked like it was in some sort of T track and I did not want to try to elevate the slide to replace it. Don't remember the cost but it wasn't too bad as I remember.
The piece was dangling down and that's what caught my attention. I pulled it out and kept it. Looks like a fairly easy fix but I just want to get the correct seal and get what caused the failure corrected. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-21-2017, 05:39 AM   #6
Tinner12002

I haven't looked on the big slides on mine but I noticed the bedroom/wardrobe slide doesn't have any seal when opened as I see the rollers. Should they all have a bottom seal? Sorry not trying to hijack thread but after seeing OPs post has me wondering.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
I haven't looked on the big slides on mine but I noticed the bedroom/wardrobe slide doesn't have any seal when opened as I see the rollers. Should they all have a bottom seal? Sorry not trying to hijack thread but after seeing OPs post has me wondering.
I guess the slide outs close to the road need seals...my bedroom slide is higher up and only has the rollers.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #8
77gman77

How do you get that seal off? I wanted to replace two of them because they have similar tears. I took out all the screws but still could not figure how to get the seal off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
77gman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:42 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Bottom seals may require the room being “hyper extended”. It’s not for the faint of heart, but short explanation:
You remove all the trim from the slide “horseshoe” then remove the horseshoe. Then support the room on the tubes and extend the room out beyond the interior wall. Then using the support jacks, lift the room far enough to access the screws holding the seal. Re assembly is reverse.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Bottom seals may require the room being “hyper extended”. It’s not for the faint of heart, but short explanation:
You remove all the trim from the slide “horseshoe” then remove the horseshoe. Then support the room on the tubes and extend the room out beyond the interior wall. Then using the support jacks, lift the room far enough to access the screws holding the seal. Re assembly is reverse.

When I needed to replace mine I THOUGHT I would just do it. Turned out what looked like a simple job was actually much more. As Chuckster noted, when all was said and done, I asked the service manager how they did it and he literally said the same thing as Chuckster. He said they had the supports in house and it took 3-4 "big boys" to manhandle the slide to get done what had to be done.......I won't be doing that in my future
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Same procedure to replace linoleum. Going to do a brand new Solitude next week, came from the factory with a loose screw. Slide took a chunk out. We don’t patch, we redo the whole floor. Like 28 hrs labor at $100.00+/hr.

Did the same thing on a brand new Big Horn a couple of months ago.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #12
77gman77

Looks like I will let “the big boys” do it for me. Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
77gman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #13
gearhead

Sounds like a bunch of seal issues. Our sofa/dinette slide leaked a bit on our last trip...April I think it was. It was raining for 3 days and we drove through it everyday. Just enough leak to get the strip of carpet next to the slide wet. I looked and looked and didn't see anything unusual. I've got it hooked up in the driveway to take to the shop tomorrow.
More to come....
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide