Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #1
Del

2012 Springdale 189 Rotted floor. Anybody else?

I bought a brand new Springdale 189 in 2012. It has only seen a handfull of weekend trips. Other than that it has been kept in my driveway. I have not used it for the past two years but periodically inspect the inside and outside for damage or leaks. I recently went into the trailer after 6 months of storage and the inside still looks like new, no smell, no water leaks. However, when I stepped from the front of the trailer towards the back, I found that most of the floor was extremely soft and rotted. Has anybody else had this issue? Something does not seem right. I have not even hardly used the trailer and it's only 4 1/2 years old.
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:42 PM   #2
busterbrown

I don't think age and use is relevant when it comes to mitigating risks of leaks. If moisture has an avenue to enter a coach (no matter how new or old the RV is - or how often it has been used), destruction of build materials begins.

Wood floors, walls, ceilings, and framing are all suseptable to water damage if an entry point exists. Exterior sheathing, fiberglass walls, front caps, and roof membranes are the only components meant to get "wet". When moisture finds its way beyond that, interior floors, walls, and roofs will rot in an inconspicuous way. The rest of the coach will look untouched.

Rot is inevitable (and potentially accelerated) in conditions where components are subject to trapped moisture. Identify and fix the entry point of this moisture before the repair work begins on your floor.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, springdale