Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
xrated

Problem with onboard Fuel Tank/Pump System..

So when I bought the new Impact Fuzion 303 last fall, I was really liking the idea of having an onboard 30 gallon tank for fuel, for both the generator to draw from and also for filling up bikes. Everything was working well until about 2 1/2 months ago when I realized that it was taking forever for pump to fill my bike. The pump motor didn't sound any different than it ever had but the flow rate coming out of the pump handle was certainly reduced. I emptied a 5 gallon gas can and started timing how long it took to fill it. After one minute of pumping, it had put about 1.6 gallons in the gas can. This is on a pump that is suppose to pump at a 6 gallon/minute rate.....something was definitely wrong. So I called ECI fuel systems, the folks that make the tank and provide the pump to Keystone for the onboard fuel systems. He told me to take the pump off and send it to them and they would check it out and send me a new one if there was an issue with it. Three weeks later, a new pump arrives and I put it on last weekend. Well, the new pump didn't pump any better than the original one that I was having flow issues with.

Time to talk to someone that maybe has had some experience with this sort of thing........Oh Chuckster....are you out there? So I PMed Chuckster and we talked about the flow issue and how to start troubleshooting it to find the culprit. One of Chuck's suggestions was to try and figure out a way to remove the siphon hose from where it attaches to the tank, and put the end of it in a 5 gallon can of gas and see if it pumps correctly....the full amount of flow. So, I crawled under the T.H. and looked and the siphon hose has a crimp type hose clamp and there is very little space to get in there without dropping the tank down, but I managed to get the hose clamp off and the line off of the fitting. Sure enough, the pump worked just as it was suppose to and a very good flow was coming out the pump hose handle. Now, what to do? I tried blowing on the siphon hose where it went into the tank, and nothing! I either had a pretty fair size stoppage, or there is a check valve somewhere. So, using a mirror and shining a light towards the barbed fitting that the hose attaches to, it looks like there is something in the fitting. So I decided to take the fitting off and since there wasn't much room to work in the limited space, I thought that I was going to have to drop the tank, but then I realized that I might be able to get an extra deep 11/16" socket over the barbed end of the fitting and onto the hex part of it. Well that worked and I got the fitting out and Yep, it was a check valve inline with the siphon tank. I had another barbed fitting at the house and I was able to force the siphon hose onto it, just enough to make it stay....and tried the pump again, only this time without the check valve in the circuit. Ta Da....it worked!

So now, what I've done to fix the problem is to order an manual shutoff valve that is rated for gasoline use and put it inline with the siphon line. then from the valve to the inlet side of the electric pump. I got it all back together this morning....siphon line from the tank to the manual valve, line from the manual valve to the electric pump and tried it out.....it works as it did when it was new, other than the manual valve (3/8" NPT inlet and outlet) probably restricts the flow ever so slightly, but I can certainly live with it.

So in closing, I still don't know what happened to the check valve that was inline in the siphon line, but something made it fail to the point that it wouldn't completely open and thus restrict the pump gas flow volume. It was a long story with lots of detail, but it might help someone else in the future if you are noticing reduced flow out of your onboard fueling system.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:23 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Great write up and thanks for posting this. I'm sure it will help someone out in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
notanlines

Vernon, thanks for the details......all good to know! We had problems with the electronics for the pump system and ECI could not have responded better. They are great people to deal with!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
twvette

With all the junk that none of the manufacturers seem to clean out from the tanks from drilling holes, etc. I am not surprised. I have a separate post on this to help others avoid pumping this junk into their expensive toys.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #5
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvette View Post
With all the junk that none of the manufacturers seem to clean out from the tanks from drilling holes, etc. I am not surprised. I have a separate post on this to help others avoid pumping this junk into their expensive toys.
You know, I remember when you posted that several months (or more) ago and that was my first thought. As it turns out, there was nothing in the check valve that was interfering with it's operation......it just didn't work. Of course, I didn't try to take it apart where the ball and spring seat are, but visually looking into it with a flashlight and pushing the ball, I saw nothing there. It's a mystery for sure. Well, anyway it is resolved.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:18 AM   #6
xcntrk

Do you think it might be a venting or vacuum while pumping problem?

Not sure if your tanks and caps are the same as mine; but I have a problem with both my tanks building pressure as the temp changes. There doesn't seem to be a dedicated tank vent and the gas cap is used to allow vacuum while draining and to relieve pressure, however you have to have the caps in the right position to enable the self-venting.

Try this simple test; Crank the gas cap down tight to where it clicks. At this point you have entirely sealed the tank and it has no vent (from what I can tell). Now, twist the cap counter clock-wise as if to remove it, but stop once you feel pressure from the engagement mechanism. You'll notice the cap will twist maybe a turn and a half before it starts to unscrew. This seems to allow the cap to operate as a vent for the tank.

Whenever I fill my tanks, I perform this procedure and no more venting issues. They must be self-venting caps and screwing them on all the way tight without relieving the venting mechanism prevents them from operating correctly. Good luck!

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:45 AM   #7
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
Do you think it might be a venting or vacuum while pumping problem?

Not sure if your tanks and caps are the same as mine; but I have a problem with both my tanks building pressure as the temp changes. There doesn't seem to be a dedicated tank vent and the gas cap is used to allow vacuum while draining and to relieve pressure, however you have to have the caps in the right position to enable the self-venting.

Try this simple test; Crank the gas cap down tight to where it clicks. At this point you have entirely sealed the tank and it has no vent (from what I can tell). Now, twist the cap counter clock-wise as if to remove it, but stop once you feel pressure from the engagement mechanism. You'll notice the cap will twist maybe a turn and a half before it starts to unscrew. This seems to allow the cap to operate as a vent for the tank.

Whenever I fill my tanks, I perform this procedure and no more venting issues. They must be self-venting caps and screwing them on all the way tight without relieving the venting mechanism prevents them from operating correctly. Good luck!
I only have a single 30 gallon tank on mine. The tank on mine has the following....the fill line, a vent line that has a hose that terminates up at the area around the fill line surround, a tank vent that goes to the opposite side of the trailer to a charcoal canister (fume/vapor) which makes it comply with EPA and/or CARB for vapor emissions, a suction line that goes to the inlet of the fuel pump (this is where the non-functional check valve was) and of course the top of the tank also has a penetration into it for the level sensor.

Remove the gas fill cap made absolutely zero difference in the flow rate when I was having the issue, and was one of the first things I tried. That led me to believe that there was a restriction somewhere in the inlet side of the system, and there was....a check valve that was not opening fully, which led the fuel pump to not getting enough fuel to pump at the flow rate it should be pumping at....basically starving it of fuel.

Tags
fuel, tank