Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
MarineFam

BakFlip Mx4 Tonneau Cover

Trying to figure out what to get for a Tonneau cover. I am ordering my Hitch this week. I believe I'm going with the Companion Slider. I had really wanted a hard cover and was looking at the BakFlip MX4. Problem is that I'm worried that there isn't enough clearance while making a turn when the cover is folded flat.
If anyone has this type of cover and can give some info that would be great.

If not I'm looking at the Truxedo Deuce soft cover if anyone can give their thoughts on that one. Most likely the safe bet. Thanks for any info

2015 Avalanche 361TG
2017 GMC 3500HD Duramax
MarineFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
Rick

I have a 4 panel Bakflip on a long bed PU and I like mine. When folded up against the cab, it sticks out 6" at the top and 11" at the bottom from the cab. Few other things...if you're folding the panels up from the outside, they get heavy fast (and because you're trying to lift from a corner). First and second panels are ok, but the 3rd and especially the 4th are really hard to lift. Suggest folding/unfolding them from inside the truck bed. Lastly, because they're black, the metal parts can get very HOT to the touch. If you're in a desert area, think about using gloves.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
MarineFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I have a 4 panel Bakflip on a long bed PU and I like mine. When folded up against the cab, it sticks out 6" at the top and 11" at the bottom from the cab. Few other things...if you're folding the panels up from the outside, they get heavy fast (and because you're trying to lift from a corner). First and second panels are ok, but the 3rd and especially the 4th are really hard to lift. Suggest folding/unfolding them from inside the truck bed. Lastly, because they're black, the metal parts can get very HOT to the touch. If you're in a desert area, think about using gloves.
I'm wondering if there would be enough clearance if I folded it to the point of being flat.
I did read about it being hot, they said the Mx4 has the Matte finish to it so it isn't hot to the touch (so they say)

2015 Avalanche 361TG
2017 GMC 3500HD Duramax
Old 05-28-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I have the 4 panel Bakflip as well and absolutely love it. I do not pull a 5th wheel.

It is very sturdy, doesn't flop etc. It's easy to flip back but does get a bit heavy. I've never lifted mine from inside the bed and it used to be much easier with the one I had on a 1/2 ton; a 4x4 HD truck is quite a bit higher which makes it more difficult for us vertically challenged folks.

It was mentioned about folding it up to the cab which I don't like because it blocks vision to the rear, but, with a 5th wheel attached that would be irrelevant. You can also fold it back 2 panels then secure it which might work for you. Having had a soft "tonneau" cover I can only say that the backflip is in a completely different category.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
captcolour

I have the BakFlip MX4 on an 8' bed. Can tow the 5th wheel with the cover folded flat onto the 4th panel. Does not have to be leaned against the rear window.

I flipped the handle on the hitch so it clears when I close the MX4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170526_070124[1].jpg
Views:	528
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	12806  
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
MarineFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
I have the BakFlip MX4 on an 8' bed. Can tow the 5th wheel with the cover folded flat onto the 4th panel. Does not have to be leaned against the rear window.

I flipped the handle on the hitch so it clears when I close the MX4.
I have a 6 1/2' bed but I will be getting the Companion Slider so that will give me some more room. I may just have to wait until after I get the hitch installed and hook up and do some final measurement.
Thanks for the info.

2015 Avalanche 361TG
2017 GMC 3500HD Duramax
Old 05-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #7
MarkS

I have a 6 1/2 foot chevy short bed, pullright slider, BakFlip F1. That combination works very well. I can close the cover when un-hitched. I can tow with the cover stacked, and not leaning on the window. Clearance has not been an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
MarineFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
I have a 6 1/2 foot chevy short bed, pullright slider, BakFlip F1. That combination works very well. I can close the cover when un-hitched. I can tow with the cover stacked, and not leaning on the window. Clearance has not been an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Perfect thanks

2015 Avalanche 361TG
2017 GMC 3500HD Duramax
Old 06-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Lastly, because they're black, the metal parts can get very HOT to the touch. If you're in a desert area, think about using gloves.
Just to clarify further, it's the metal hinges attached to the panels that get hot. That's the part you'll be handling when folding the panels. Not the panels themselves.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover