Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
Woodsrider

Tow a 5th wheel with a short box? Get in here please.

DW and I are contemplating upgrading from our current trailer to a 5th wheel. Losing the in bed storage has me wondering where do I put my 3Kw generator and fire wood?

So, those of you towing a 5er with a short box and a sliding hitch, where do you store the firewood you take with you, and your generator?

I have a 6.5 ft bed, with a tool box. Today, I put a row of firewood, bedrail high, just behind the tool box, then load my genny, cooler, a 20# propane tank, and chairs in the bed of the truck. Much of that stuff will fit in a 5er pass through, but where does the 154 pounds of generator and three or four days of fire wood go?

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
bsmith0404

I don't carry firewood since many places do not allow wood brought in from outside. However, if you really want to take it with you...I personally would not use a slider and I'd put it between the hitch and tailgate. I used to carry a generator with me in front of the hitch, but that would require you removing the toolbox. Depending on the 5er you get, you could use the front storage department for either the wood or generator as well. That area is where the manufacturers will put generators if you purchase one as an option.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:17 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Maybe using a Reese "sidewinder" pin box will allow for storage between the box and bed rails.

http://www.reeseprod.com/mobile/prod...W5HrcuGlg!ABL9

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
Canonman

We also "upgraded our bumper pull to a 5th wheel. We use the Anderson Ultimate hitch and have had no problem with our turning radius. Our Cougar came equipped with a rear cargo rack rated at 200#. We use it to carry our bikes and spare tire. We've seen several outfits with a similar configuration using the cargo rack for their generator, firewood, bikes etc.
I use the truck bed for extra fuel cans, shovel, couple days of firewood, our 3k inverter/generator, stuff we'd need to change a tire and other odds and ends. The front storage of the 5er is a great place for the tool box, water cans, hoses, and the house batteries. We really have not had a problem with having enough space in the pass through for the BBQ, chairs, tables, more tools, and more "STUFF"
Bottom line, a 5th wheel just has more storage then a TT (imho).
You shouldn't have a problem but may have to alter where your stuff is kept.
Lots of options
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0689 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	12470  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
Woodsrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Maybe using a Reese "sidewinder" pin box will allow for storage between the box and bed rails.

http://www.reeseprod.com/mobile/prod...W5HrcuGlg!ABL9
I had not seen those! I like that as an option.

2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Old 05-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
nellie1289

Get a long bed. . Plenty of space for all kinds of stuff.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
Woodsrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I don't carry firewood since many places do not allow wood brought in from outside. However, if you really want to take it with you...I personally would not use a slider and I'd put it between the hitch and tailgate. I used to carry a generator with me in front of the hitch, but that would require you removing the toolbox. Depending on the 5er you get, you could use the front storage department for either the wood or generator as well. That area is where the manufacturers will put generators if you purchase one as an option.
It also requires me to wrestle the 150# generator past the hitch. With my back, that would surely end my trip before it began.

The Grand Design Reflection we're looking at has a 2 inch receiver on the back rated at 300 pounds, so this is an option for the generator in a custom fabricated tray, I suppose. But this is currently my last resort.

We can transport firewood here, but its recommended to keep it within 100 miles. That encompasses better than half our regular camping trips from the mountains to the pacific coast of Washington. If we go out of state, we don't haul wood or the generator. We'll stay in full hook up camp grounds and pack a propane fire pit.

2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Old 05-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #8
Woodsrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
Get a long bed. . Plenty of space for all kinds of stuff.
A new truck, along with the new Reflection 5th wheel isn't an option. My Duramax is paid for and barely broken in with 125000 on the odometer.

2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Old 05-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #9
CaptnJohn

I carry a propane fire pit, much more convenient, safer, and cleaner. Stopped carrying a genny long ago. The 1 1/2 gallon 150 PSI compressor (only 25#) goes in the truck bed and nothing else needs to go there, enough storage in the 5er with some to spare.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:10 AM   #10
xcntrk

You may have to revisit the bed tool box with a 5'er if it sits on the rails; might be too tall to clear the 5'er nose in a corner.

My recommendation is to seek a 5'er with an onboard generator, or at least onboard prep so that you can use your existing genset. Then you don't have to bother with keeping it in the truck. As for firewood, I lay it flat, single row heigh throughout the bed around the slider hitch. I use a Superglide which you can move by hand when not hooked up to verify clearance.

The joys of owning a short-bed pickup

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:25 AM   #11
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrider View Post
The Grand Design Reflection we're looking at has a 2 inch receiver on the back rated at 300 pounds, so this is an option for the generator in a custom fabricated tray, I suppose. But this is currently my last resort.
I have this rack from Cabelas, works great and would carry your generator or firewood.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...Dcargo%2Bracks

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #12
Woodsrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
You may have to revisit the bed tool box with a 5'er if it sits on the rails; might be too tall to clear the 5'er nose in a corner.

My recommendation is to seek a 5'er with an onboard generator, or at least onboard prep so that you can use your existing genset. Then you don't have to bother with keeping it in the truck. As for firewood, I lay it flat, single row heigh throughout the bed around the slider hitch. I use a Superglide which you can move by hand when not hooked up to verify clearance.

The joys of owning a short-bed pickup
Tool box only sits up about an inch and three quarters above the rails. It'll clear the nose of the trailer.

2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Old 05-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

The nose of your fifth wheel "will clear the tool box that's only 1 3/4" above the rails WHEN YOU'RE ON FLAT, LEVEL GROUND !!! Be very cautious about trusting that same clearance when backing into a campsite with a road that's "crowned" for drainage and a slight "ditch" or "depression" at the opening into the campsite. Any change in "crown on the road" and "rise into the campsite" can make that "remaining 4 1/4" (with the recommended 6" clearance) disappear very fast. There are a number of people on the forum who have talked about their tonneau cover being damaged by the fifth wheel nose. Even with 6" of clearance between the truck bedrails and the bottom of the fifth wheel, you can get into some situations where the ground looks "close enough to flat" and start backing the trailer and realize that there's a sudden clearance remaining of 1/32"... At times, you can realize there's no clearance when you hear the crunch.... So, watch your tool box carefully, even with a sliding hitch. What seems like "lots of clearance" can suddenly completely disappear within 5' or 6' when backing into a site. It seems to only happen when your attention is directed somewhere else, so just a "heads up"......

It's not only hitting the back of the cab that you need to watch, but any change in the ground (from level to up/down or any combination) can also make an otherwise great day turn into a "slap your forehead and frown" kind of day.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #14
66joej

Kind of glad I have a TT. I remember exactly what John was eluding to. Luckily never had an incident with the 5er.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #15
Woodsrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The nose of your fifth wheel "will clear the tool box that's only 1 3/4" above the rails WHEN YOU'RE ON FLAT, LEVEL GROUND !!! Be very cautious about trusting that same clearance when backing into a campsite with a road that's "crowned" for drainage and a slight "ditch" or "depression" at the opening into the campsite. Any change in "crown on the road" and "rise into the campsite" can make that "remaining 4 1/4" (with the recommended 6" clearance) disappear very fast. There are a number of people on the forum who have talked about their tonneau cover being damaged by the fifth wheel nose. Even with 6" of clearance between the truck bedrails and the bottom of the fifth wheel, you can get into some situations where the ground looks "close enough to flat" and start backing the trailer and realize that there's a sudden clearance remaining of 1/32"... At times, you can realize there's no clearance when you hear the crunch.... So, watch your tool box carefully, even with a sliding hitch. What seems like "lots of clearance" can suddenly completely disappear within 5' or 6' when backing into a site. It seems to only happen when your attention is directed somewhere else, so just a "heads up"......

It's not only hitting the back of the cab that you need to watch, but any change in the ground (from level to up/down or any combination) can also make an otherwise great day turn into a "slap your forehead and frown" kind of day.....
Thank you. That's very good, and insightful information considering some of the places we take our TT have some interesting entrances and I've thought about what the pitch would do at the tailgate to trailer clearance behind the pin box.

2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Old 05-04-2017, 05:29 AM   #16
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

And it's not only backing up. Ask me how I know?
Old 05-04-2017, 07:14 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
And it's not only backing up. Ask me how I know?
Our "favorite campground" in the UP is a very remote state forest campground. 13 miles of gravel road and two track to get to it. There is one section of the campground that requires a left turn at the edge of a grove of evergreens and it's pointed down a hill. The only way to make the turn with a fifth wheel is to start on the far right edge (almost in the trees) and follow the treeline all the way through the turn. Any other path will cause the trailer to rock down and into the truck bedrails.

Every summer we spend a couple of weeks in that campground and every summer we hear a loud "fiberglass on metal screech" followed by some "very unique language".... I'd guess that hitting the bed rails happens much more often than hitting the cab, at least I know it does in that campground.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:19 AM   #18
canesfan

^^^ Haven't had that mispleasure yet. Come oh so close a few times a year though. Mine was the front cap meeting the folded up tonneau cover coming out of a dump station. Needless to say that cover is no longer on the truck, and it probably didn't stick up a couple of inches. And I have an auto slider.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #19
cpaulsen

I have a below the rail tool box chest,6.5' shortbed and a Pullrite Superglide......but I don't haul firewood.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow