Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
wbdvt

Hitch Weight

Hello and please bear with me if this seems like a stupid question.

DW and I are considering moving to a 5th wheel from a TT. I have been studying the Hitch Weights of various 5th wheels as that seems to be my limiting factor. My confusion is on what it exactly means. For example a particular 5th wheel lists the following:

Hitch Weight: 1095lbs
UVW: 8127 lbs
CCC: 1468 lbs.

So it is possible the entire rig can weigh 9,595 lbs. So is the hitch weight listed the hitch weight at 8127 lbs or 9595 lbs. Or does it stay the same no matter whether the weight is 8127 or 9595 or something in between?
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
His & Hers 2016 Vespa Sprint 150's
wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Hitch weight is the dry hitch weight....it will go up as you load up the trailer.
UVW is the unloaded vehicle weight; it, plus the CCC (carrying capacity) will equal the trailer gvw (gross vehicle weight) of 9595. Depending on what you load, and where you load it, the hitch weight will go up. The CCC, GVW and UVW are fixed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
therink

Yes, dry pin weight on a fifth wheel means nothing. I recommend you assume the following:
Based on numbers you provided, the gvwr of that fiver is around 9,600 lbs. The pin will weigh around 20 percent loaded. Assume you load 1468 lbs (which you likely will), the pin will weigh around 2,000 loaded, maybe 1,800.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #4
CWSWine

I have the same problem understanding pin weights. If your payload on your truck is 1480 here is what towing guide gives you for 5th wheel:

You're adding approximately 400 lbs. to the truck. You have 1,086 lbs. of payload capacity. Fifth wheels typically have 20% - 25% pin weight which gives you a maximum loaded camper weight of 4,344 - 5,430 lbs.

Here is what Tow Planner gives you with the same payload and 150 drive and a 100lbs hitch and Travel Trailer:

You're adding approximately 250 lbs. to the truck. You have 1,236 lbs. of payload capacity. Travel trailers typically have 10% - 15% tongue weight which gives you a maximum loaded camper weight of 8,240 - 12,360 lbs.

5th wheels depends more on payload capacity while Travel trailers you tow lot more weight.

Now at 12,360 you probably exceeding your tow capacity of your truck.

Here is a link to Tow Planner and you can run your own numbers. http://www.towingplanner.com/
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:56 AM   #5
AmIHereYet

I've been looking at this same question of what the actual hitch weight will be once the 5th wheel is loaded. A salesman told me the GVWR is max weight the tires and axle are designed to carry but we would probably never actually have that much weight on board. I know better than believe what the sales guy says regarding towing issues, but I am curious as to how close most people's actual loaded weight comes to the GVWR, or if it is easy to surpass it with a full load?
AmIHereYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:32 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmIHereYet View Post
I've been looking at this same question of what the actual hitch weight will be once the 5th wheel is loaded. A salesman told me the GVWR is max weight the tires and axle are designed to carry but we would probably never actually have that much weight on board. I know better than believe what the sales guy says regarding towing issues, but I am curious as to how close most people's actual loaded weight comes to the GVWR, or if it is easy to surpass it with a full load?
If you look at any RV manufacturer's website, you'll find that they all build trailers with significantly different "payload" data. They all build some fifth wheels with 2700 pounds of "payload" and yet the next model in the same lineup may only have 1500 pounds of allowable "payload". So, the specific trailer model, year and the "yellow sticker" on the side of the trailer is the determining factor. Just because a Cougar 27' fifth wheel has almost 3000 pounds of payload doesn't mean that the 28' with a similar floorplan will also be "close to the same payload". So, it is entirely feasible to have two "almost identical trailers" in which, if you load the same "stuff", one would be well within GVW and one could be grossly overloaded.

For an example of "how much is used, our Cougar 27RKS is listed at 7136 empty, 1230 pin weight with a "payload" of 2864. In actuality, with the optional equipment we ordered, it really weighs 7350 empty, pin weight was 1290. Loaded as we "normally travel" with full fresh water tank (in the rear, next to back wall) empty holding tanks and full propane, it weighs almost 9400 pounds with a pin weight of almost 2000 pounds.

So, the "advertised specs" are, at best, a guide for what to expect. Loading (where you put your "stuff") can impact the pin weight a bit, but as you can see from our weights, the advertised empty pin percentage is 17.2% of empty weight while in actuality, the way we travel, the pin percentage is 21.2% (with 350 pounds of fresh water that's "literally" against the back wall of the trailer).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:45 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

I have to point out that when you really weight the stuff you think you need or want in the RV it will be like most I have talked with, weight at scale stations and dealt with myself. Most RVs traveling the highways are at or above the max listed wt. Unless your able to only take one set of clothes and freeze dried food what you need to enjoy a trip will likely be more than you think.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:24 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I have to point out that when you really weight the stuff you think you need or want in the RV it will be like most I have talked with, weight at scale stations and dealt with myself. Most RVs traveling the highways are at or above the max listed wt. Unless your able to only take one set of clothes and freeze dried food what you need to enjoy a trip will likely be more than you think.
In addition to that, many (most??) people tend to leave things in their RV "for next time" even if they don't plan on using it again on the next trip. This "pack rat" system tends to create a significant "add" situation with very little if any "subtract" in the mix. For that reason, almost every RV that was weighed after the first couple of trips will weigh substantially more two or three years "down the road"..............

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #9
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
Hello and please bear with me if this seems like a stupid question.

DW and I are considering moving to a 5th wheel from a TT. I have been studying the Hitch Weights of various 5th wheels as that seems to be my limiting factor. My confusion is on what it exactly means. For example a particular 5th wheel lists the following:

Hitch Weight: 1095lbs
UVW: 8127 lbs
CCC: 1468 lbs.

So it is possible the entire rig can weigh 9,595 lbs. So is the hitch weight listed the hitch weight at 8127 lbs or 9595 lbs. Or does it stay the same no matter whether the weight is 8127 or 9595 or something in between?
Lets look at your numbers. The 8127# GVW is what the trailer was supposed to weigh as it left the factory. The CCC had been determined by the manufacturer after the GVW and hitch weight had been determined. The hitch weight is vary impotent to the manufacturer because it’s weight value is used to determine the trailer’s total and individual axle loads. In this case 1095# is subtracted from the GVWR (9595#) and divided by 2. Your trailer MUST have axles with a total of 8500# of load capacity, or two axles rated at 4250#(minimum) of GAWR, each.

The statement below is how it is written in the regulation the manufacturer must follow for trailers 10000# or less of total weight, (FMVSS 571.110).

On RV trailers, the sum of the GAWRs of all axles on the vehicle plus the vehicle manufacturer's recommended tongue weight must not be less than the GVWR.

Once a consumer takes position of a RV trailer they become totally responsible for its weight and balance.

On edit: On RV trailers the certified GAWR (s) determine the minimum acceptable tire fitments. Notice, I said acceptable, some of the regulations say appropriate.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote