Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
byrdr1

Nice week long 1st 2016 trip

Stone Mountain Park Campground

well we got back from our first trip of 2016.
we left central NC for GA on Saturday the 19th. Stopped around the GA/SC line at Lake Hartwell to chill and spend the night as my reservations for Stone Mountain park, GA were not until Sunday PM through Friday am. Had anice campground with full hookups for the evening and then found a very nice BBQ place up the road a mile or so for supper. A very nice evening just the wife and I and the 2 pups.
Got up and took our time getting on the road as I could not get onto campsite before 2pm on Sunday, so we left around 10:30 for the park.. WOW is all i can say about Atlanta traffic... WOW doesn't do justice to this madness they call an interstate. Parking lot with lots cars and trucks would be how I call it. Sunday afternoon traffic is crazy and I found out its that way most days.
So once we made it to the campground and got checked in and set up we made the usual run to wally world for groceries for the week and cover the meal plans.
That evening the temps were dropping so we made use of the Quartz 26" fireplace I had been working on for 3 weeks. Its installed but needs to be trimmed out with oak boards and a cherry finish. Worked very well over the next few days and nights with temps in high 30's and low 40's.
Next day we made out way into downtown Atlanta, toured that area and went the Georgia Aquarium. Rode a electric trolley around for an hour or so. Ate downtown and then made our way back out onto the parking lots(interstate).
Came back to the camper and just chilled some more..
Wednesday the weather was warm enough for us to make the trip over to Stone Mountain park and the craving into the side of the same. Nice day as rode the tram to the top and spent most of the day up there walking around the top. Came down and walked all over the touristy stuff but enjoyed it and spending time with the wife. We made it back to the campsite and chilled while cooking some burgers on the charcoal grill. then we got inside and I was asleep before 9:30 on the couch.
The wife was laughing at me for this, she said just like home get still and relaxed and I am gone.
Thursday was another chill day. Spent time walking the campground and some trails with the dogs. Just an easy day as were planning on leaving Friday am. Took the wife out to eat at local Greek restaurant and it was good. Fueled up the truck. We headed back to the campground and waited for a line of storms to roll in right at dark. BOY howdy did the wind blow, not much rain but the wind was awful.. blow some trees down around the campground lucky no ones camper was damaged but blocked some roads and one tree fell on one their YURTS and someone's car. IT was mostly cleaned up by Friday am. Saw a bunch of tent campers pack and leave while all this was going on. They were back next morning as we were packing to leave.
Over all a great first trip of the year. IF you want a place with history and a nice campground this would be something/where to add to your list. I would like to do this trip again with more of my family and camping buddies next time.
Randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
silverbullet18

Next time in Georgia try McKinney Campground at Lake Allatoona. Beautiful lake spots. Just north of Atlanta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas and Becky
2016 Bullet 269RLS
2010 GMC Sierra 5.3
silverbullet18 is offline   Reply With Quote