Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2016, 06:24 AM   #1
whitmw

Passport Ultralite 2400bh Slide Question

I juts bought this 2016 and it has a slide. I have never owned a tt with a slide so I have a couple of questions. This slide looks like its cable driven and operates a little like a popup camper. I asked service when going through my pdi about what to do if I lost power and the slide was extended. He could not locate the motor so he advised me it could not be retracted manually. After a little research, I discovered where the motor was and how to manually close it. But I am now trying to find out a couple of things I can seem to find and answer to;

1. How much weight will the slide support? Seems like I saw 1000 lbs floating around

2. How is the slide supported? I cant see anywhere that braces run underneath when opened or support. The bottom is sealed so I really cant find anything.

Thanks
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:07 AM   #2
slow

Our 2015 Passport 23rb has a cable activated slide. There are no rails or supports, rather the slide rides on the locally carpeted floor of the TT which supports the slide vertically. When the slide is extended, the "overlap" of the slide walls are supported by the walls of the TT.

As for load capacity, I suspect it is close to 1000 pounds when extended. We have had over 700 pounds on the sofa in our slide on the sofa without problems when extended. But when retracted, do NOT walk on the slide floor or put any extra weight on it. This is because the portion of the slide's floor that extends into the TT is not supported when retracted and can "pull away" from the underside of the slide walls if loaded.

When we travel cross country and are making a quick rest stop and do not want to level the TT and extend the slide, we slip four large (13" x 17") plastic cutting boards (from Walmart) that are 3/8" thick under the unsupported end of the slide floor. This way the the slide floor edge over the vinyl flooring and the sofa leg are supported by the cutting boards and we can walk on the slide floor and use the sofa without concern.

Our winter project was to cover the cutting boards with fabric and add a larger diameter foam rod on the ends of the fabric covered cutting boards. This way we can leave the cutting boards under the slide floor while traveling without worrying that they will slide underneath too far or bouncing around while travelling and damaging the floor.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote