Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2016, 05:16 AM   #1
On The Road Again

Lake Tenkiller Oklahoma area camping recommendations?

The DW and I plan to spend a week or so in the Lake Tenkiller area later this year sightseeing and riding the Harleys, before heading to Arkansas. I am considering Lake Tenkiller State Park as a base camp, though I am certainly not married to the idea. Any comments or suggestions generally about camping in that area or specifically about campgrounds is appreciated.

2015 Fuzion 331
2013 Ford F350 6.7L
2012 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic 103CI
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Low (Wife's)
2016 Harley-Davidson Freewheeler (Wife's)
2015 Polaris Ranger 570 EPS Bronze Mist
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #2
gearhead

Have you considered Hochatown State Park at Broken Bow? It's been many years since I've been there, but friends that recently visited had very positive comments.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
SADLY

Blue Jay Knob is quite nice.

Ten Killer Lake State Park has several camp areas within the park.... They're all described:

http://www.travelok.com/article_page...rk-an-overview

With a larger 5er, most will be too small for you... I've stayed at the Blue Jay Knob area. It's up on a hill and great for walking... Plenty of scenic areas to ride MCs too.
SADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:58 AM   #4
On The Road Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADLY View Post
Blue Jay Knob is quite nice.

Ten Killer Lake State Park has several camp areas within the park.... They're all described:

http://www.travelok.com/article_page...rk-an-overview

With a larger 5er, most will be too small for you... I've stayed at the Blue Jay Knob area. It's up on a hill and great for walking... Plenty of scenic areas to ride MCs too.
Blue Jay Knob looks good, but for some reason I cannot get it to come up as being available. I finally just put in random dates and even varied the length of the trailer, but still the only two choices are the Shady Grove and Fox Squirrel loops. I may just call them on Monday. Thanks for the response.

2015 Fuzion 331
2013 Ford F350 6.7L
Old 02-20-2016, 06:07 AM   #5
SADLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Road Again View Post
Blue Jay Knob looks good, but for some reason I cannot get it to come up as being available. I finally just put in random dates and even varied the length of the trailer, but still the only two choices are the Shady Grove and Fox Squirrel loops. I may just call them on Monday. Thanks for the response.
I've found different results through the OK State Park system. For example, they may only have 3-4 sites which are reservable within that camp area... And the rest are first come first served. Calling is good idea.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:34 AM   #6
On The Road Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Have you considered Hochatown State Park at Broken Bow? It's been many years since I've been there, but friends that recently visited had very positive comments.
Thanks for the response. As Sadly noted above, many sites are first come, first serve. Hochatown is all first come, first serve. Beavers Bend does have a few sites that can be reserved. I'll call them on Monday. Again, thanks for responding.

2015 Fuzion 331
2013 Ford F350 6.7L
Old 02-20-2016, 07:13 AM   #7
SADLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Road Again View Post
Thanks for the response. As Sadly noted above, many sites are first come, first serve. Hochatown is all first come, first serve. Beavers Bend does have a few sites that can be reserved. I'll call them on Monday. Again, thanks for responding.
Army Corps of Engineers (at least in OK) seem to have their act together better than OK state parks.

Tenkiller is a corps lake, so you'll find those campsites as well.... Open up your options a big and visit www.recreation.gov

Search for "Tenkiller Ferry Lake" and you'll get a description with links to about 6 or 7 corps parks you can check out as well.

http://www.recreation.gov/recreation...encyCode=70902