Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
cardinal96ss

King Tailgater 2015 edition info please

We are considering purchasing a King Tailgater (Dish network version) to mount on the RV roof and we can't find any info on the 2015 model. Reviews on the previous model seem to be pretty good, but crickets on the latest one. Have any of you tried it? Thanks in advance.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
vampress_me

I'm sorry I can't say anything about the new Tailgater, but I just bought the new King Quest (Directv) a few weeks ago. I was worried buying it too because there really aren't any reviews out there, but took the plunge because of a sale and a coupon. I can say it is surprisingly lightweight based on its size (not sure if that's good or not) and easy to set up in our Cougar X-Lite. I don't want to do a permanent mount, but am going to fabricate a removable mount for the top of the ladder to set up when we want to use, but take down when moving.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:01 AM   #3
ChuckS

I also just purchased the Kjng Quest version for direct tv this weekend along with H24 receiver. Very impressed. Setup took ten minutes with most of that on line getting new receiver activated on our existing account. No it's not HD but satellite lock on us quick and it works. Will be running thru its paces next weekend in the middle of nowhere at a north fork, Idaho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
Floton

We have the King Tailgater 2015. Have used it on one camping trip and it worked very well.
Floton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
ChuckS

Only glitch I saw was during the initial satellite setup. The screen that shows boxes either with X or check mark. Mine had all Xs but I just continued thru menu setup. Locked on fine with good strength
Emailed Kingconnect and their response is "normal indication " and ignore boxes with X in them.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #6
tgpilot

While in Montana on my six week vacation, I bought the Direct TV version of the Kings Quest. Everyone had it for over five hundred, I found a dealer that I bought it from for $422.00 and later found I could have got it for #380.00 from another dealer. For whatever reason Direct is high on their equipment.

I took my extra receiver from my bedroom and was lucky that it worked with the Kings Quest. I set it up about five or six times and it worked like a charm. When I was at Bakers Hole the trees were too thick, so I climbed up on my roof and put it there. Worked great. I had taken my old dish with me, but was tire of chasing signal. The auto lock on worked great, just make certain you set the dish setting correct in the receiver menu. I suggest you go with the Direct TV version.
tgpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:37 AM   #7
ChuckS

Follow up on our Kings Quest direct tv unit. Used it for 7 days up in the middle of no where at North Fork,Idaho. Setup ten minutes. Signal 83%. Loved it. Even had a big thunderstorm with heavy rain. No fade or loss of signal.
We watched another guy come in and setup tripod dish, took him darn near an hour to get his signal.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #8
cardinal96ss

Thank you all. We just mounted the King Tailgater on out 5-er and will be taking it out soon. I will post a follow-up when we return.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #9
tgpilot

Smile

Having had a dish mounted on the roof in the past, I've found it best to keep it portable. This way if you get into a bunch of trees or anything else that can block you, you have the choice of moving the dish and not the rig. When mine was mounted on the roof I had many times had a problem with signal.

Now, when I have a problem, I just move the dish around, twice, like right now I have placed it on the roof. Never know where you will need to put it. Better portable.
tgpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #10
cardinal96ss

Again, thanks to all. Well we bought the King Tailgater (2015 model) kit, including the receiver. I mounted the antenna on the roof, running the coax across a bit, then down next to the vent stack and to the entertainment center. Hook up was easy and automatic. We were gone over 2 weeks, and every time we moved, set up and turned on the TV it automatically connected unless we needed to change our "state" location.
For a couple places where we were blocked by trees, we just used the $40 HD OTA antenna that we use for local channels anyway.
In the future I will consider buying an extra antenna ($360)to use in those blocked situations and to use for my shop which is a long distance from my home.
Thanks again.