Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
lizajne

324RLB Charging issue?

We own a 2014 Keystone Cougar 324 RLB. We have taken it camping in Colorado with no issues and left it at our lake property last summer for the kids with no issues. This year when we got it out of storage and took it to the lake, we had barely any power. When the camper was hooked into the pickup, the lights, slides, & landing gear worked fine. When we plugged into shore power there was dimming of the lights and low power to everything else. The A/C would not work when plugged into shore power. Our Power panel showed 2/3 battery when plugged into shore power. Since coming home from the lake we have had it plugged in at our shop to charge. Today when I checked on it, the power panel would not turn on, even while plugged in. I took the battery to our local dealer where he declared it “dead” (as if I didn’t already figure that out). He’s currently charging it to see if it will hold a charge. (I’m suspecting it won’t and I’ll need a new battery). I just need some advice as to what else I can check. The hubs is out on the road this week and I’m trying to get as much done as I can before he gets home. One thing I have noticed is that the microwave, when plugged into shore power will not work. The light comes on and the plate inside spins when the door opens, however nothing else on it works. I have been unable to check the fridge, just because it takes so long for it to cool down and what little power we sometimes have doesn’t last long, however the light inside it does come on.
I’ve read about there possibly being a converter issue and I’m thinking my next step will be to find that and check it if the battery is ok.
lizajne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You probably do have a bad battery. As for no 12 volt power when plugged into shore power and the microwave not functioning properly, it sounds like you've got either a bad main circuit breaker (on one leg of your 50 amp service) or you've got a loose neutral or ground. That would account for the 120 VAC and the 12 VDC problems. (Of course it could also be a bad shore power cable or connector.) It is not a 12 volt wiring problem and probably not a 12 volt fuse problem since you said it all functions normally when plugged into the tow vehicle.

In a "normal functioning system" once you plug into shore power (even without a battery), all of the 12 volt system should have power (so long as the fuses in the panel are good). So, chances are you've got an issue with one leg of the shore power. Since you say the microwave also doesn't work (It's entirely independent of the 12 volt system) then I'd guess it's also connected to the same leg of your incoming shore power as the converter/12 volt system.

Like you, I'd guess the battery won't hold a charge. If it was stored in the trailer through the winter, wasn't charged due to the shore power problem, then it probably froze and the internal plates are damaged.

The first issue is to determine where the shore power is being interrupted, then I think your 12 volt issues will also be resolved.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
therink

The first thing I would do is check (when plugged in to shore power) if your converter is putting out 12v power (with a voltage meter you should get about 13.6 volts). Next check to see that the main blade style fuse on the converter is not blown (should be a 40 amp or pair of 40 amp fuses). If all fuses are good and the converter is not putting out juice to run 12v systems and charge the battery, then your converter may be bad.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
Yosemitebob

The only reason your fuses on your converter would be blown (if they are) is from reverse polarity hook up. Leave the battery unhooked and start turning on your 12v items in the trailer, while you are still hooked up to shore power. What happens, do they all work? or are they really dim or not working at all? This would give you a good idea where to check further - the converter. I had to change mine out within the first month I got it new. Had a bad diode.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, converter, power drain