Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
BlueThunder34

Is it worth going from a SL tire to a "D" Load Tire

My current TV (2014 RAM 1500) came with SR-A "SL" tires and too me they seem very "squishy" and honestly maxed out with our 7k+ trailer in tow, even when aired up to the max 44PSI. Would it make a difference in handling going to an 8ply "D" tire? I'm specifically looking at the BF Goodrich KO2's. Anyone with this setup and noticed improved feel??? DW thinks I'm crazy to replace tires that only have 8k miles on them but I really think the D load tires will make a substantial improvement in control and handling, am I off base?
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:00 AM   #2
TallEddie

After I bought my trailer, I put new tires on my truck. I upgraded from the stock SL tires to BF Goodrich Rugged Trail E rated tires. Definitely noticed a difference. Truck was much more stable on the highways.
TallEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
BlueThunder34

Thanks for the reply. I put on the new BF Goodrich KO2's yesterday (D Range) and love them so far. Taking a trip with the trailer this weekend so will see how they feel, but I'm confident it will be night and day. The sidewalls feel MUCH stiffer than the stock SLs.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I had the same tires on the same truck and the tire upgrade helps. If you haven't, you may want to go ahead and put some airbags on as well. I installed Air Lift 1000s for about a hundred bucks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder34 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I put on the new BF Goodrich KO2's yesterday (D Range) and love them so far. Taking a trip with the trailer this weekend so will see how they feel, but I'm confident it will be night and day. The sidewalls feel MUCH stiffer than the stock SLs.
Did the tire dealer/installer give you new recommended inflation pressures for the LT tires?

The new inflation pressure should - at a minimum - equal the load capacity the 44 psi provided the OE tires with.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #6
x96mnn

As sourdough has stated airlift 1000s gave the absolute best bang for the buck.

With that said, when I had my ram 1500 I upgraded to Michellen MX/2 E rated tires. If found they made the most diffrence in handling but still rate the airlifts 1000s as a must have based on the cost. Tires cost me 1400cdn installed while the airlift kit cost me 175cdn and installed it myself. I found with the airlift kit I could better balance and adjust my hitch with a 8000pd camper.

Note on the tires, I found this hard o get a straight answer on but many of the aluminum rims are not rated to take full advantage of an e rated tire that can hold 80psi. This may only be a concern with the ram that comes with the 17" aluminum rims such as mine did. After many attempts the dealer finally advised me not to run anymore then 54psi on the rim I had. Most 20s are a steal rim.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
BlueThunder34

I'm running these tires at 63PSI (max is 65) . Yes, I installed the Airlift 1000's as well as the Airlift Load Controller onboard compressor. The airbags I agree are a huge advantage when towing as well as when hauling heavy loads in the bed. From what I've read, I don't see an issue running this pressure on the stock 20" wheel.