Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
ljp

Lifting TT Up & Off Tires

Looking for help in identifying quality equipment that can be installed on our Passport 195RB to keep the tires raised off the ground when stored. Thanks.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I would use a bottle type jack. Put under frame near tires, jack up, place a jack stand nearby, remove jack, and than repeat that front and back side of of each axle set. Your question is to mount some type of jacks to the trailer, I would not. But, I am sure you could if really want to.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post
Looking for help in identifying quality equipment that can be installed on our Passport 195RB to keep the tires raised off the ground when stored. Thanks.
There are several electric and hydraulic "4 point" and "6 point" leveling jack systems available as aftermarket additions. The problem with them is the cheapest I've seen the least expensive is well over $2500 installed. I am not sure if the frame on the Passport would even support an electric leveling system. You'd have to check on that with an RV service facility.

I would suggest you look at other options. The cost of installing a system that costs that much on a lightweight trailer isn't cost effective for most owners. Getting even a part of your investment back would be difficult when you want to dispose of the trailer.

Additionally, nearly 100% of travel trailers stored for the winter are parked on the tires. There has been no evidence that lifting the RV off the tires improves their life or their reliability in any substantial way. Certainly it wouldn't save the cost of any permanently mounted lift system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Wes Tausend

I tend to agree with John that there is probably no evidence that taking weight off the tires will prolong their life. But...

Some folks do mount ordinary leveling jacks near the TT center, but they are just for additional stability, not totally lifting the entire weight.

This is actually a good thing since all RV frames have quite a bit of flex in them. I note that my 30' TT easily sags 3/4" or more when the end jacks are down and take a minimal weight to prevent bounce and rocking. In other words, the center of the TT still bounces quite a bit on the tires and suspension when the ends are solidly supported by the stab jacks. And, while camping jacks-down, rain tends to run to the roof center, overcome the shallow rain gutter, then pour down right on top of my leak-prone slide-out. Therefore if I'm camped any length of time, I usually add at least one center portable jack, on the slide side anyway.

Interestingly, ordinary center mounted stability scissor-jacks are strong enough to support quite a bit of weight (the entire RV for instance) if the TT is first jacked up with a jack such as a hydraulic bottle jack which has a more durable lifting system. The weakness in these stab-jacks is the dirt-exposed screw shaft and thrust washers which tend to wear rather rapidly if often required to lift the entire TT. Lifting with these wear-prone center mounted stab-jacks is therefore not recommended, even for tire changing.

I believe there may be some benefit in covering the tires from open air exposure, especially direct sunlight, during storage. Tires on RVs stored inside seem to look better longer. Open air occasionally subjects tires to ozone from lightening storms or other electrical arcing. Ozone causes tires to weather-check prematurely. Direct sunlight exposes the tires (and wheel paint) to ultraviolet radiation (UV) which not only burns human skin, but also encourages oxidation of rubber and paint/plastic. All modern tire compounds have additives that slow UV, but it still occurs to some extent. Indirect sunlight (shade) contains little UV, if any, since bounced light is always weaker. The sole exception would be a 100% efficient mirror surface, and no mirror is that good.

Wes
2019 Leprechaun 311FS
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
Justvisiting2day

Lifting thg. e trailer 4 storage.

1, I had a 195rb and wouldnot have thought of setting it up like that, the frame isn't that stron
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
Justvisiting2day

Lifting the trailer 4 storage.

1, I had a 195rb and would not have thought of setting it up like that, the frame isn't that strong.
2. Get a couple of 2x10 boards, about 6' long drive the trailer onto them (one one each side) this will keep the tires out of "water" and make you feel better.

3. I would suggest for you to get some tire covers, install them, probably the best thing you can do for the sun and weather .
Do not worry about the hanging the tires in the air.
Any way you may have many awnsers ,but I believe jacking up and storing is a waste of time and effort..
BUT it will give you a chance to pull the bearings and do a decent grease job on them plus check out the shackels for wear and give them a shot of silicone spray. Oh and while you have it in the air, adjust the brakes.
THATs all from an old guy.
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
outwest

I use those plastic interlocking blocks (lynx brand) to park on and white tire covers to protect from UV damage.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
slow

From page 13 of the Goodyear RV Tire & Care Guide: (http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf)

"Storing your vehicle properly helps protect your tires.
• Keep your vehicle in a cool, dry storage area out of direct sunlight and UV rays.
• Unload your vehicle so that minimum weight is on the tires.
• Inflate your tires to recommended operation pressure plus 25%, but don’t exceed the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity.
• Thoroughly clean your tires with soap and water before storing them to remove any oils that may have accumulated from the road.
• Move your vehicle at least every three months to help prevent cracking and flat-spotting, but avoid moving it during extremely cold weather.
• Place your vehicle on blocks to remove the weight from the tires. If the vehicle can’t be put on blocks, make sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well-drained and reasonably level."

I found the +25% pressure an interesting recommendation.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
Wes Tausend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
From page 13 of the Goodyear RV Tire & Care Guide: (http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf)

"Storing your vehicle properly helps protect your tires.
• Keep your vehicle in a cool, dry storage area out of direct sunlight and UV rays.
• Unload your vehicle so that minimum weight is on the tires.
• Inflate your tires to recommended operation pressure plus 25%, but don’t exceed the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity.
• Thoroughly clean your tires with soap and water before storing them to remove any oils that may have accumulated from the road.
• Move your vehicle at least every three months to help prevent cracking and flat-spotting, but avoid moving it during extremely cold weather.
• Place your vehicle on blocks to remove the weight from the tires. If the vehicle can’t be put on blocks, make sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well-drained and reasonably level."

I found the +25% pressure an interesting recommendation.
I find that "+25% pressure" an interesting mothball concept also. Wonder what the reasoning is? If the tires are unloaded anyway, I would have more likely thought reducing pressure would be reasonable.

Furthermore, the manufacturers unloading suggestion seems to validate the OP's concern with, "Lifting TT Up & Off Tires".

Cleaning is also a new one on me, but may make sense if the same accumulated dirty scum on body panels has anything to do with oils present on, or near, highways.

Wes
2019 Leprechaun 311FS
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote