Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
dherod

How Effective is Trickle Charging from TV?

Hi - 2008 Passport 245RB.

I'm pretty sure the batteries (2 @12V, parallel) are supposed to be trickle charged when the trailer is attached to my TV. Does anyone know how effective that is? For example, if my batteries show 2/3 on the status meter and I'm planning a 4 hour drive - would that be enough to charge them up?

Thanks - Dan
dherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:52 AM   #2
Johnnyfry

Trickle charge

Most TV's will charge at a much higher than a trickle rate (usually defined as 1-2 amperes). My Dodge Truck will charge at about 20 amperes or more.

This should return most batteries to a full charge after several hours of driving.
The rate will also depend on the resistance of the trailer connection to some extent.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:40 AM   #3
THedges

I think it would charge them easily in that time.

I have two 6v golf cart batteries and my Silverado will take them from 1/3 to full charge on the 2 hour drive home from our favorite summer camping spot.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:08 AM   #4
dherod

Thanks, guys. Trying to wrestle with whether or not I really need a battery charger for the house. I realize they're only $50 +/- but still that's money I might not need to spend.

Between disconnecting the batteries when we're not using the trailer - and then plugging in to shore power at the house for a couple of days before we take a trip - and then having the charge capability from the TV as we're heading to our destination.....I might not have to purchase a separate battery charger. Plus it would be one less thing banging around in the garage.

This is our first TT. Does that plan seem reasonable?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #5
Johnnyfry

Trickle charging

I think that approach is reasonable as long as you remember to disconnect the battery when you get home AND you check the battery voltage periodically to be sure that is staying fairly up to snuff. You don't want it to drop too low or the battery will be damaged.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
dherod

Thanks John - I'll give that a try.

I notice you're from Herndon, VA. I went to Herndon High and graduated in 1976. Both of my daughters graduated from there too - my oldest in 2006 and my youngest in 2010. I lived in Herndon from '81 until I moved out here to CO in '92.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
mikell

I've always left my rigs plugged in whenever possible. But thats just me. You don't need a big cord unless it's a long distance. On the farm I had a 30 amp in the barn where it was stored and one on the house where I would park before and after trips. Never had a problem. But thats just me. Also put in a sewed dump by the house in the line going to the septic.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
gepaine

Yes, your plan seems reasonable during camping season, but you may still want a charger to keep a trickle charge on your batteries over the winter. (I pull the batteries when our TT goes into winter storage, and plug them in to a trickle charger in my garage.) Unless you plan on keeping your TT plugged into shore power over the winter.
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote