Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
Anson9110

Slide support?

Just looking for help with a quick question... I've got my 30' ft cougar permanently setup in the middle of the woods and was wondering if I have to support my slide out? It seems as tho it's moved slightly but can't be sure. Thanks for any help!! Anson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anson9110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
KanTC

Anson,

Is there something specific that leads you to think the slide-out "has moved"? Have you checked the under-side of the slide... is anything bent or warped/out-of-alignment, etc??
Has anything else changed...? Lots of rain in the area...ground settling? Is the RV (itself) level?

Slide-out supports generally aren't needed, nor recommended, but here's more info on the same topic.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17910

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16011

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8025

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5857

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2509

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2441

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
Anson9110

Hi Terri, thanks so much for getting back to me! I'm in the middle of the woods and having a hard time with it. I've leveled it front to back and side to side (put level on kitchen counter). I have cinder blocks under the back scissor jacks and have the front legs down (all on rock). My screen door has shifted big time and it seems like the inside door has started to as well. I'm basically by myself with this and getting worried about any permanent damage I might be doing. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. I'm going to look at those links you sent me know..

Old 07-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd suggest that you think about the way the trailer was "engineered"... It is designed to be supported without twisting when on the wheel/axle assemblies. It really sounds like you've somehow got one corner or one side blocked up higher than the rest and as a result, you're twisting the frame.

Start over. First, pull in the slides, then jack up the front, take the blocks out, lower the front, take the rear blocks out and level the RV by putting pads under the wheels to level it side to side. Then use the tongue jack only to level it front to back. In that condition, the doors and slides should work properly and not bind or sag. Once you know that it is capable of being leveled when supported on the axle/wheel assemblies, then start putting blocks under it while maintaining that same degree of level. Work from the axles toward the front and toward the rear evenly. Don't go to the front or rear and try to level it and work to the center, if you do, you'll not maintain the proper "bow" in the frame rails.

RV frames are built slightly bowed, that allows the front and rear to be "level when all the weight is on the axles. When you block it, you have to keep that "bow" in perspective and not block both ends at level. Doing that will essentially "push them up" causing the center to be "lower than intended" and can cause the doors to bind.

Good Luck, but I think you need to start over with the leveling process....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

John that advice is spot on. I had a 40 ft park trailer, I was 2nd owner and he shown and talked to me how he did that. I got a 28ft trailer for the next lot I and did same. Never any problems both were on sand covered with gravel. I took off the tongue jack and stored it since there where at the Wa. coast. Thinking after afew years they may be rusted enough to be locked up.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:19 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If I remember correctly, this is the trailer that was dragged over boulders, through mudholes and around trees by a bull dozer to get it to the location where it was set up. That's my reasoning for going back to "ground zero" to be sure everything works as it should when it's supported by the axles/tires. If the frame is twisted and the slide sags/doors bind when it's "unstressed sitting level on the tires, it will take some "creative blocking" to overcome the physical bending (damage) that was done. If, however, the doors/slides work in a "unstressed level condition", it's just a blocking problem and should be OK once things are leveled out. Keep in mind that it will probably settle with time, rain and the movement of living in it, so you'll need to re-level or at least "reshim" the blocks from time to time.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-10-2014, 06:15 AM   #7
Anson9110

You guys are friggin amazing... I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help. (Even for remembering what this trailer has been thro to get it here!!) I'm going to do exactly as instructed, step by step. Going to start the whole thing over today. Less Mosquitos bitting now so my concentration will be slightly better thanks again.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:38 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Luck, Anson. Just take your time, think things through as you work, don't guess, reason it out and you'll do fine.

Any questions, just ask, someone here will have "already been down that road"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
Anson9110

Thank you to all...

I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for their help! This forum has saved my butt a few times and it's thanks to those who take the time to help others like me who are still learning. I've now got the camper level front to back and side to side. The door is still a little twisted but I think John was right about it being dragged over a few too many boulders. I absolutely love the camper and think I might actually buy one to travel with in the future... Anyone ever finds themselves in Toronto lemme me know.... lunch is on me!