Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
HappyCamperMN

What make and model Stereo/CD/DVD unit?

One thing I haven't spent much time looking at is the Stereo Receiver / CD / DVD unit that is coming in recent Premier units. Does anyone have information on make / model they have received recently? We're looking at a Premier 31BHPR if that makes a difference.
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
HappyCamperMN

The main reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to determine if the DVD output to the TV is anything more than a composite video (yellow RCA plug) level signal. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it were HDMI, but not going to hold my breath.

Being one who prefers to be on the leading rather than trailing edge of technology, I'm trying to figure out how to augment the standard components.

One of my thoughts is to drop in an AppleTV and plug it into the TV. That way we can stream (via airplay) any content from our iDevices. Of course that'll also mean I need to setup my own local WiFi network. Maybe I need an AppleTV and an Airport Express for the RV.?.?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
BirchyBoy

I don't have your model, but my new 2014 Passport came with a unit branded as iRV. It connects to the TV with composite cables. I haven't taken the unit out to check the back side for other connections.

You might have good luck calling Keystone's customer support. They were pretty helpful with me when I called.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
chartrand

I have a 2014 and it's the iRV brand as well that connects with composite cables. A small blue ray player is on my wish list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
CUFFS054

Chart and Birchy, I can't find that brand when I look on line. Are there any other markings on it?
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUFFS054 View Post
Chart and Birchy, I can't find that brand when I look on line. Are there any other markings on it?
Sorry, I don't have ready access to my camper right now. Searching doesn't turn up much other than a few images and items on Ebay. There are a few references to models EX6500DVD and EX8500DVD by a company called EStone.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 03-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
AlbertaRvMan

Also looking at 31BHPR Tech

Hi,
I am also looking at the 31BHPR. I'm going to a dealership this Thursday. I'll check what connectors are on the tv.

It would be nice to have the option to upgrade to a higher end smart tv! BluRay player option. I forget if the 31BHPR has three tvs (bedroom, back bunks and outdoor kitchen?)

I would also like Sirius XM radio while out camping to relax around a fire with some tunes (I'll probably bring my acoustic guitar). I've read that some ppl say the Sirius radio will work from inside the RV... I don't know...
AlbertaRvMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #8
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaRvMan View Post
Hi,
I am also looking at the 31BHPR. I'm going to a dealership this Thursday. I'll check what connectors are on the tv.

It would be nice to have the option to upgrade to a higher end smart tv! BluRay player option. I forget if the 31BHPR has three tvs (bedroom, back bunks and outdoor kitchen?)
The unit comes with two TVs. One in the main area and the second in the outdoor kitchen.

There is a spot for one back in the bunkhouse. And maybe a spot for one in the front bedroom.?.? The main / bedroom location used to be a swivel (one TV that you can face either direction). The outdoor kitchen / bunkhouse used to have a similar swivel. The newest units that our local dealer have don't have the swivel in them, just permanent mounts.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
GaryWT

We have the swivel in the living/bedroom area and a tv in the outside kitchen that does not swivel. We have a 2013 model after they made the changes half way through the year. The trailer does not have speakers in the bedroom so when playing a DVD in bed, the sound is out in the living room. Because of this, we bought a DVD player and connected it so the sound comes out the tv speakers. The sound could not go from the existing DVD to the tv, only to the overhead speakers. Don't remember the name of the stereo unit.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamperMN View Post
The main reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to determine if the DVD output to the TV is anything more than a composite video (yellow RCA plug) level signal. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it were HDMI, but not going to hold my breath.

Being one who prefers to be on the leading rather than trailing edge of technology, I'm trying to figure out how to augment the standard components.

One of my thoughts is to drop in an AppleTV and plug it into the TV. That way we can stream (via airplay) any content from our iDevices. Of course that'll also mean I need to setup my own local WiFi network. Maybe I need an AppleTV and an Airport Express for the RV.?.?
This streaming really has my interest up but with have no knowledge of these apple products. Where is the movie/music content coming from? I have used netflex at home but do not even try to stream over a campsite WIFI, have enough trouble most of the time getting on the Internet. Most camp sites claim that be will limit your bandwidth if streaming is attempted. Decided to purchase a cell carrier HOT Spot just to be able to get to basic functions like Email. etc Think it was 2 Gig. Well tried to update a GPs device over that thing and got notice the most of my 2 gig was gone, think may have done some web searching also. Based on that experience would not dare try and stream a movie again based on what I have experienced. Have you tried streaming any form of content while at a RV camp. I will follow this thread to see what you have decided to do.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

We currently have Hughesnet satellite internet. There is a bandwidth download limit that pretty much prohibits streaming video. When we lived closer to "civilization" we had cable internet and often streamed video "back before it was popular to do so".

Most campground wifi systems will not support streaming and cellular plans usually don't have the bandwidth to stream.

Ah for the "good old days" of cable internet. Maybe someday in the future we'll be fortunate enough to get cable "out here in the boonies"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Sorry, I don't have ready access to my camper right now. Searching doesn't turn up much other than a few images and items on Ebay. There are a few references to models EX6500DVD and EX8500DVD by a company called EStone.
I just realized that I have a whole bag of manuals that came with my unit. I looked through and found the manual for mine, which is apparently an iRV EX6500DVD unit. It has a few diagrams, including the back, and it does not have an HDMI connection, only RCA type jacks.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 03-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I just realized that I have a whole bag of manuals that came with my unit. I looked through and found the manual for mine, which is apparently an iRV EX6500DVD unit. It has a few diagrams, including the back, and it does not have an HDMI connection, only RCA type jacks.
Thanks, that about what I was expecting. And part of the reason why I'll look to bring most of my own content with me.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
Old 03-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #14
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
This streaming really has my interest up but with have no knowledge of these apple products. Where is the movie/music content coming from? I have used netflex at home but do not even try to stream over a campsite WIFI, have enough trouble most of the time getting on the Internet. Most camp sites claim that be will limit your bandwidth if streaming is attempted. Decided to purchase a cell carrier HOT Spot just to be able to get to basic functions like Email. etc Think it was 2 Gig. Well tried to update a GPs device over that thing and got notice the most of my 2 gig was gone, think may have done some web searching also. Based on that experience would not dare try and stream a movie again based on what I have experienced. Have you tried streaming any form of content while at a RV camp. I will follow this thread to see what you have decided to do.
In what I am planning, I would load content onto one of the iPads that we bring with. Typically some short (30 minute) episodes for the kids and then a longer movie or three. Good for "downtime" as needed or in case of inclement weather.

With the iPad and the AppleTV, you can use AirPlay to "mirror" whatever is showing on the iPad onto the AppleTV. That allows for good quality 720p or 1080p content to be streamed over WiFi to the AppleTV which is connected digitally to the television in the RV (instead of via the component video connection which will only get you 480i).

Hope that helps. I expect to be posting about the trials and tribulations of my attempts to get some better quality video played in our soon to be new RV.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
Old 03-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #15
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamperMN View Post
In what I am planning, I would load content onto one of the iPads that we bring with. Typically some short (30 minute) episodes for the kids and then a longer movie or three. Good for "downtime" as needed or in case of inclement weather.

With the iPad and the AppleTV, you can use AirPlay to "mirror" whatever is showing on the iPad onto the AppleTV. That allows for good quality 720p or 1080p content to be streamed over WiFi to the AppleTV which is connected digitally to the television in the RV (instead of via the component video connection which will only get you 480i).

Hope that helps. I expect to be posting about the trials and tribulations of my attempts to get some better quality video played in our soon to be new RV.
John, HappyCamperMN, Thanks did not Think we would be able the stream from the internet while in an RV Camp Site. I assume you down load content to your I device before you leave home? How does this compare with using DVD's I assume the quality of your I device would be Blueray quality at least. You can blaze the trails for now I would be ecstatic with consistent internet for Email and some Internet searching. Having worked on and off at Duluth not going to ask how weather is
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #16
Mag1234

HappyCamperMN,

How did the AppleTV workout? Where you able to connect it to the television?
Mag1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #17
randy69

Sony mexdvd1700U size of car stereo with dvd fm am sirus input plays all types of music files has input for TV and external input audio jack.plays dvd and cd.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote