Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
vikedrvr

12v to 120v inverter

Hi, new to the forum here. I just purchased a 2006 Raptor 3612 . We do a lot of boondocking/dry camping and want to install a 12 - 120v inverter to operate tv, fans, etc. without running the generator. On my old camper I had a 750w inverter in the battery comp and an extension cord running under the trailer up to a seperately installed outlet. Just wondering if there are any better ideas out there without running a seperate power cord?
vikedrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
jje1960

Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikedrvr View Post
Hi, new to the forum here. I just purchased a 2006 Raptor 3612 . We do a lot of boondocking/dry camping and want to install a 12 - 120v inverter to operate tv, fans, etc. without running the generator. On my old camper I had a 750w inverter in the battery comp and an extension cord running under the trailer up to a separately installed outlet. Just wondering if there are any better ideas out there without running a separate power cord?
Well, if you do a lot of and enjoy boondocking without a generator running, I would think a considerable battery bank, maybe 4X 6V deep cycles. Then, either have qualified installation of switch gear ($) or continue to your similar previous setup with separate outlets. Obviously, 'tv, fans, etc' needs to be more closely considered by amp draw so you know where you are at for running time and recharge cycles. A single 12V standard battery does not last long considering a 32" TV, DVD Player or sat dish and converter box! Let us know what you end up with!
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Bluewater

We just use twin 12v group 31 deep cycle and have a 12v tv/dvd combo along with 12v fans..ect. Sure a lot less complicated and never have had the system run low.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
vikedrvr

Problem is there is only one 12v outlet and it is in the bedroom. I am planning on moving the main tv to over the door way so I will need an outlet close to there. I am going to swap out the 1 12v battery for 2 6v.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
jsmith948

Quote:
Hi, new to the forum here. I just purchased a 2006 Raptor 3612 . We do a lot of boondocking/dry camping and want to install a 12 - 120v inverter to operate tv, fans, etc. without running the generator. On my old camper I had a 750w inverter in the battery comp and an extension cord running under the trailer up to a seperately installed outlet. Just wondering if there are any better ideas out there without running a seperate power cord?
Try searching the forum - there was a post by 'johnnyfry' some time ago detailing a DPDT electronic switch that enabled him to connect an entire circuit to the inverter. DPDT switch automatically isolates the inverter whenever shore power is present and then auomatically swithes (opens) to allow inverter power to power the circuit when shore power is removed.
Works good for us.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
Yosemitebob

I added a 2000w inverter to my last RV, found I didn't really use it that much. It's costly and adds about 550 pounds by the time you add 6 - 6v batteries and all the other items. It was nice for resale, but is wouldn't do that again. You got to ask yourself how far you really want to go and am I really going to use it and for how long. The generator works fine for me and the batteries get me through the night.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
vikedrvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Try searching the forum - there was a post by 'johnnyfry' some time ago detailing a DPDT electronic switch that enabled him to connect an entire circuit to the inverter. DPDT switch automatically isolates the inverter whenever shore power is present and then auomatically swithes (opens) to allow inverter power to power the circuit when shore power is removed.
Works good for us.
Thanks, I did a search on inverters and found lots of ideas, found a great mod for 2 6v batts for the trailer and using the 12v for the gen only. Just have to figure out all the wiring process. Have you done the DPDT switch mod? I would like to have more info if you have.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
jsmith948

VikeDrvr -

Yes, we did install the coil powered DPDT switch. It allows us to power the circuit that powers the T.V. without running extra wires or installing extra plugs and is fool-proof. Even if you forget to turn off the inverter, when the shore power energizes the coil, it switches both the hot and the common (DPDT) from inverter power to shore power. It has worked very well. I got the idea for this mod from former forum member 'JohnnyFry'. I bought the coil powered switch through "Parts Express".
It seems that I don't know how to attach a link to the thread, which contains pictures of the switch and a wiring diagram. If you search for all threads by JohnnyFry, you will find it. I think it was titled 'entertainment center power'
Hope this helps.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
vikedrvr

Well I have finished my battery upgrade and inverter install, but where I added the 12 v outlet there are no 110 outlets for when I am on shore power so I need to add one. I noticed I have two enmpty spots on my electrical panel and the question is are the RV breakers the same as house breakers? They are square D breakers and look just like house breaker.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Well I have finished my battery upgrade and inverter install, but where I added the 12 v outlet there are no 110 outlets for when I am on shore power so I need to add one. I noticed I have two enmpty spots on my electrical panel and the question is are the RV breakers the same as house breakers? They are square D breakers and look just like house breaker.
Yes the breakers are the same, just be sure they are the same type to match the box. Check to see if the bus extends far enough to add the new breakers even though the face plate shows two blanks. You WILL HAVE TO isolate that circuit from shore power when connected as mentioned in previous posts.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #11
cdawrld

Yes they are the same. I added two (15 and 20amp from lowes) when I installed my xantrex inverter.
I split the bus and made a subpanel. The subpanel powers the microwave, TV & outlets.
cdawrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #12
vikedrvr

Thanks that is what I thought, bought a breaker at lowes today. I am going to split the outlet with one side from the inverter and the other from the panel.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Yes the breakers are the same, just be sure they are the same type to match the box. Check to see if the bus extends far enough to add the new breakers even though the face plate shows two blanks. You WILL HAVE TO isolate that circuit from shore power when connected as mentioned in previous posts.
Have you experienced a distribution panel that had open blanks identified but no bus bar behind them?? Sounds like a standard cover plate used for power distribution units with different number breakers. Guess anything is possible.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote