Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
jimsny

friction sway control

just got back into camping .first time ever towing a travel trailer .wondering how do you know how tight you make the adjustment on the friction control bar .towing a 25' trailer .the last time we towed it a big rig came flying by us n felt like the trailer n my truck got sucked into the wind ..any advice will do ..thanks jim
jimsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Bob Landry

The instructions that I have read on them state to tighten the hand lever down as right as it will go. If more or less tension is needed that's done with the adjustment bolt at the bottom of the bar.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
buzzcop63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsny View Post
just got back into camping .first time ever towing a travel trailer .wondering how do you know how tight you make the adjustment on the friction control bar .towing a 25' trailer .the last time we towed it a big rig came flying by us n felt like the trailer n my truck got sucked into the wind ..any advice will do ..thanks jim
First I would look up "Weight Distribution Hitch Balance" in this forum for good advice that will help how well your trailer will tow. On my Anti-Sway bar it says to tighten down on the bar until the threads are showing. From this setting you can tow trailer and see how this affects use on the free way. The trailer will tow best when the weight distribution hitch is set up properly and the Anti-Sway bar is set up. Also grease the attachment balls and hitch ball with some heavy bearing grease. Wipe off when you unhitch so it will not get on your cloths. Also take off the Anti-Sway bar before you back trailer up!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
RGene7001

First of all, I would use two sway bars for the trailer of such length.
The bars should be tightened by the handle until the end of the threads. Some attention should be given to the bolt opposite to the handle as well, especially when friction pads wear out.
Minimal suction from the passing big trucks may be normal, nothing can completely abolish forces affecting both the truck and trailer. I usually feel rather soft pull on the steering wheel ftom about 10% of passing big vehicles. This are quite benign events, doesn't affect my direction if steering wheel is hold steady, and they don't start secondary trailer sway.

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

You will feel a push and pull from the 18 wheelers as they pass. The bigger the speed difference will cause more felt movement. Windy conditions might cause more also. If that causes more than a slight push/pull than other problems may exist with the truck, trailer or hitch. With proper sway control there should be no further swaying after the push/pull effect. Watch 18 wheelers pass each other or other RVs they all do it, at times.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
warsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsny View Post
You actually want the sway bar fairly tight. I would tighten mine down until I could feel it start to tighten then give it another 3/4 to one full turn (good place to start). One sway bar worked for me. As far as feeling the push/pull when trucks pass you by, it is normal. Sway control will not stop that.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Charby

Anyone have advice for an Equilizer setup?
My hitch came used from a former trailer, and I continue to use same.
My question is; once I am unhitched, I have one swivel that is easy to move around on hitch. Does the sway control take affect when I have put the bar pressure on?
I am not sure if I should have RV dealer look at it for adjustments.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
Marlinmike

Equilizer

Charby,

Does the sway control take affect when I have put the bar pressure on? Yes - in fact there should be quite a bit of pressure on both bars. You might download and print off their installation instructions on their website.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/Equal...structions.php

Marlin

Ps: Love my Equalizer
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #9
nomadrider

Unhappy I can't stop the swaying

I need some input, please. I'm fairly new at this. I'm pulling a 2012 fz300 w/ 06 F250 diesel. I installed a shock hitch and use stablizer/weight distributor bars and one sway bar. I have a 99 Nomad in the toyhauler, which weighes at 825lbs and a few other things in the back. I would say a total of 900 to 950lbs. Toyhauler has a capasity of carrying 2000lbs. It seems like there is to much tough weight. It makes the truck squat down in back. My concern is. When 18 wheeler pass me up. We sway bad. Sway bar as tight as I can put it. The wife and I hate the ride, it's scary, and no relaxing. It is stressful to tell you the true. My ? If I put more weight in toy hauler would this improve my ride? Thanks in advance on your advice. Nomadrider
nomadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #10
cabinfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadrider View Post
I need some input, please. I'm fairly new at this. I'm pulling a 2012 fz300 w/ 06 F250 diesel. I installed a shock hitch and use stablizer/weight distributor bars and one sway bar. I have a 99 Nomad in the toyhauler, which weighes at 825lbs and a few other things in the back. I would say a total of 900 to 950lbs. Toyhauler has a capasity of carrying 2000lbs. It seems like there is to much tough weight. It makes the truck squat down in back. My concern is. When 18 wheeler pass me up. We sway bad. Sway bar as tight as I can put it. The wife and I hate the ride, it's scary, and no relaxing. It is stressful to tell you the true. My ? If I put more weight in toy hauler would this improve my ride? Thanks in advance on your advice. Nomadrider
Have you had the rig across scales? Even though it looks tongue heavy, it may not be. Sounds like you need to dial in the weight bars and maybe add weight to the front of TT. Our FW tank is there and I keep it full. It took me all of last summer and 3 trips to the scales to get mine right. I use dual friction and after all the adjustments everything fells 95% good to me. Only 95% because I know with friction sway there could still be an issue. My wife and I have decided to upgrade to a ProPride Hitch. They are costly, but when compared to the safety of the family and cost in the rig.....the cost is cheap! Even with a Hensley Arrow or Propride set up must still be correct. Im sure you will get many more suggestions here that will get you dialed in. Good Luck

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #11
nomadrider

No, I haven't had a chance to bring it to the scale. I guess that would be the first to check. Thanks Cabinfever for reply.
nomadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #12
theeyres

In the past we had a 25' Springdale pulled by a 1/2 ton Chevy with the Equal-i-zer hitch. We had absolutely 0 tug and pull from semi's going by. None. When we went back to a 24' Hideout now pulled by a 3/4 ton diesel Chevy we get a slight tug an pull with our Andersen hitch. I didn't get another Equal-i-zer because I got tired of dealing with the heavy bars and the up and down of the hitch to get them attached. Still fine tuning the Andersen and it is much easier to attach and unattach. But if want total stability you can't beat the Equal-i-zer. Make sure we are talking about the Brand, not a generic equalizer. Two different beasts.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
trackstand

Make sure You have enough weight on the bars. first hook up the trailer and lock it on the ball. then put a block under the lift jack if its not already there. then crank it down enough to pick up the back of the truck 2-3" now hook up Your WD bars. make sure the chain is tight use the pipe to lock the chains down tight. now lower the jack. then add your sway control finger tight if You have one.
trackstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
trackstand

Old 01-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #15
trackstand

Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #16
rideandslidejim

We just took our first trip down I95 with our 26ft Springdale, load dis. hitch and no sway bar. Did not notice a lot of problems with semi's passing, but coming back the wind was up and that bounced us around more than i would like, so considering a sway bar for that reason.
Jim
rideandslidejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #17
lspajm

sway

I have a passport 3220 BH, pulling it with an F250 Power Stroke Diesel crew cab, 6.5 ft bed. I use a right and a left sway control due to the length and "lightweight" model of my camper -- it helps alot with sway...and make sure you have a little weight in the back of your truck...this helps!
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel FX4, Crew Cab, 6.5 ft bed
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote