Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2020, 06:09 AM   #21
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Air bags will help with the ride. i put them on my F250 and they made a world of difference. I also suggest the onboard compressor. I didn't do it in the first place and it wasn't long before I regretted that decision. As for the yellow sticker i just ripped it out from the door jamb and tossed it in the trash. Thats all it's good for.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:14 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ruff Rider View Post
Air bags will help with the ride. i put them on my F250 and they made a world of difference. I also suggest the onboard compressor. I didn't do it in the first place and it wasn't long before I regretted that decision. As for the yellow sticker i just ripped it out from the door jamb and tossed it in the trash. Thats all it's good for.
I hope you're never involved in a towing fatality. If you should be that unfortunate, any investigating agency has the capability to do a "internet search" and find all posts by people who use the internet. As an example, you've listed the following information on this forum:

First Name
Arhtur
Last Name
Hansen
Location - City
Livermore Ca.
RV Model
Montana

That info is readily available to anyone doing an internet search. With that info also being available to any lawyer who might be representing someone looking to seek reimbursement from you for damages or loss of life, their lawyer will likely find the following quote from this forum:

"As for the yellow sticker i just ripped it out from the door jamb and tossed it in the trash. Thats all it's good for." Armed with that quote from you, once you're on the witness stand, in front of the judge and jury, you can almost bet that you'll be confronted with that statement and asked the question of why you ignored the manufacturer's maximum loading... Then, that question would likely be followed with your quote from another post: "There is absolutely nothing legal about that yellow stupid sticker. No where on that sticker that says it's a crime to exceed the limits on said stupid sticker." That same lawyer would likely use that post as evidence that you intentionally chose to "ignore that stupid sticker".

Here's hoping you never are involved in a loss of life motor vehicle accident. If you are, the potential for things you post here are very good that you'll see them again, in a courtroom. Let's hope not, but tempering your words may save your financial future from ruin..... JMHO....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:23 AM   #23
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Thanks for pointing out the typo, my fat fingers are not working today.
The gvw is 12,390 from what Keystone site I looked at, so 20% of 12,390 is 2,478 which is what I stated.
Figured it was a typo. As we age, our fingers get less nibble errr nubile errrr nimble... that's tit!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:27 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Figured it was a typo. As we age, our fingers get less nibble errr nubile errrr nimble... that's tit!
Yup, and 7 cervical spine surgeries, and 6 surgeries to my left arm/shoulder doesn't help.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:17 AM   #25
wiredgeorge

Dang! Cudos for learning to type with your shoulder! I think the horse is dead on this thread and my stupid puns are not likely to add so hasta la vista baby!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #26
Jcholt7379

🤦*♀️

Maximum payload capacity is 4,130 pounds.
5th hitch = 2480 loaded
Subtract 2 people

#1260 + remaining..
Trailer 11,500 (the wife packs light)

Truck has the towing package, etc = equipped right
Anderson is is a gooseneck and could pull up to 16,000. We.went with the low end
Family cop reviewed truck specs, etc. 👍
Jcholt7379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:09 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcholt7379 View Post
5th hitch = 2480 loaded
Subtract 2 people

#1260 + remaining..

Anderson is is a gooseneck and could pull up to 16,000. We.went with the low end
Family cop reviewed truck specs, etc. ��

Not trying to argue but 4130 payload on YOUR truck? Have you looked at that sticker? Post a picture of it?

The number you post is the ultimate maximum payload that any 250 can have from a brochure. Did you buy "that" truck, probably the only one ever made to obtain that payload number? I've not seen or heard of a Ford F250 with a diesel that had a payload over 4000lbs. - especially a 2016. I could be wrong, maybe, but a pic of that sticker would help you and this conversation a long way.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:33 PM   #28
notanlines

Danny, I sincerely hope you aren't holding your breath on this one....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:35 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Danny, I sincerely hope you aren't holding your breath on this one....

I've been practicing....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:09 PM   #30
Snoking

Yep, a F250 diesel the only weighs 5870 pounds, not!
Old 07-03-2020, 07:43 PM   #31
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcholt7379 View Post
5th hitch = 2480 loaded
Subtract 2 people

#1260 + remaining..

Family cop reviewed truck specs, etc. 👍
Bwaahhhaaa! Now that's some funny stuff right there....

Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #32
xrated

Quote:

Old 07-04-2020, 04:02 AM   #33
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I hope you're never involved in a towing fatality. If you should be that unfortunate, any investigating agency has the capability to do a "internet search" and find all posts by people who use the internet. As an example, you've listed the following information on this forum:

First Name
Arhtur
Last Name
Hansen
Location - City
Livermore Ca.
RV Model
Montana

That info is readily available to anyone doing an internet search. With that info also being available to any lawyer who might be representing someone looking to seek reimbursement from you for damages or loss of life, their lawyer will likely find the following quote from this forum:

"As for the yellow sticker i just ripped it out from the door jamb and tossed it in the trash. Thats all it's good for." Armed with that quote from you, once you're on the witness stand, in front of the judge and jury, you can almost bet that you'll be confronted with that statement and asked the question of why you ignored the manufacturer's maximum loading... Then, that question would likely be followed with your quote from another post: "There is absolutely nothing legal about that yellow stupid sticker. No where on that sticker that says it's a crime to exceed the limits on said stupid sticker." That same lawyer would likely use that post as evidence that you intentionally chose to "ignore that stupid sticker".

Here's hoping you never are involved in a loss of life motor vehicle accident. If you are, the potential for things you post here are very good that you'll see them again, in a courtroom. Let's hope not, but tempering your words may save your financial future from ruin..... JMHO....
Is this a threat ?
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:07 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

But, but, a kid riding his bike stopped and said I was good to go! It never ceases to amaze me how several centuries of combined experience from folks who have towed in excess of a million miles combined can be dismissed so readily.

Just once it would be refreshing if the person asking for advice would just say "please help unless you disagree."
Old 07-04-2020, 04:45 AM   #35
Dave W

I don't like getting into these kinds of discussions, but ...

- all F250s are NOT an F350 with a different badge
- an F350 has a 1/8" thicker rear anle shaft and a 4' vs 3.5" axle tube
- most F250s have a 2+1 rear spring. F350 starts at 3+1 rear spring (the +1 is the overload). If the F250 has the camper and/or 5er package it will have 3+1 6100 pound capacity springs along with 6000 pound fronts.
- a crew cab LB F250 diesel weighs in at about 8000 pounds
- Airlift or Firestone air bags will smooth out the loaded ride and help level the trck - trailer combo. I tow with 15-20 pounds pressure. Unloaded, those air bags can hammer your fillings out.
- Air bags do nothing to stop chucking. It's trailer weight distribution and hitch construction/slop.
- an Anderson weighs more then 35 pounds. You need to add in whatever is holding it in place in the truck bed.
- a rear sway bar helps. The OE Ford version with the Camper Special package is OK but a Helwig is better. I used a Helwig on a past F350 - it is huge in comparison.

What does all this means - if you haven't bought the truck, keep looking for an F350 with 5er tow package. You will most likely exceed the B pillar sticker capacity with virtually any 30 plus foot 5ers with most F250s. No, I'm not weight police since I tow over that sticker weight with an F250
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:50 AM   #36
xrated

Quote:
Is this a threat ?
Seriously? Wow, reading comprehension 101 could be your friend....it's never too late to learn!

Old 07-04-2020, 05:23 AM   #37
rhagfo

Quote:

First Name
Arhtur
Last Name
Hansen
Location - City
Livermore Ca.
RV Model
Montana

Quote:
Is this a threat ?
I don't see a threat, what I see is sound advice in this day of hungry lawyers and crazy civil law suits.

I towed over weight for about six years with a 2001 Ram 2500, well over GVWR of 8,800#. I was within axle and tire, but so far over GVWR that the thought of being taken to civil court if involved in a crash my fault or not helped drive me to get enough truck for the job.

While in excess of the GVWR, never needed air bags to level the TV.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:19 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Is this a threat ?
It was not intended to be a threat, but rather some "sage, on point advice" that if you're going to be foolish enough to post your "wanton disregard for public safety" on an open RV forum with your name and location in your profile, you're "adding a flashing beacon" to that disregard for safety.

Doing that, openly in an internet forum, that can be searched by anyone with a keyboard and 8 fingers/2 thumbs (that means it doesn't take a computer genius to find you), can put you and your financial security at risk from any law firm that represents anyone who may be injured or suffer a loss in an accident where you're "towing with that yellow sticker ignored, ripped off the door panel and tossed in the trash".

It was intended to be some advice to you (and others) not to publicly post on the world wide web that you don't care about safety and think it's "silly".

You can consider it a threat, if you want, in the fashion that if you and I are ever involved in a motor vehicle accident and you're towing overweight, you WILL get a summons from my "RV chasing lawyer" to appear in court to defend those "silly rules that don't apply to you"...

Other than that, no it wasn't posted to "present a threat", just some sage, sound advice to maybe keep you out of court.

Remember, anything posted on the internet is "NEVER" deleted, just removed from the place it was posted.... That said, moderators and administrators of this forum have access to EVERY post (deleted or not) and the "edit trail" that reveals EVERY change to EVERY post that has been made on the forum from its inception with the first post by the founder to present....

So, nothing ever leaves the web..... The best way to prevent a lawsuit from a "silly post" is simply "don't post silly stuff"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:46 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

In these times of political turmoil one only has to watch the "news" to see that word's and images that were posted or emailed decades ago can come back to "expose" a person. That is just a fact. Ask any LEO and they'll to you that they search social media extensively when crime solving.

It's amazing how many folks that speak from an orifice other than their mouths do it via social media.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:24 AM   #40
xrated

Quote:
It was not intended to be a threat, but rather some "sage, on point advice" that if you're going to be foolish enough to post your "wanton disregard for public safety" on an open RV forum with your name and location in your profile, you're "adding a flashing beacon" to that disregard for safety.

Doing that, openly in an internet forum, that can be searched by anyone with a keyboard and 8 fingers/2 thumbs (that means it doesn't take a computer genius to find you), can put you and your financial security at risk from any law firm that represents anyone who may be injured or suffer a loss in an accident where you're "towing with that yellow sticker ignored, ripped off the door panel and tossed in the trash".

It was intended to be some advice to you (and others) not to publicly post on the world wide web that you don't care about safety and think it's "silly".

You can consider it a threat, if you want, in the fashion that if you and I are ever involved in a motor vehicle accident and you're towing overweight, you WILL get a summons from my "RV chasing lawyer" to appear in court to defend those "silly rules that don't apply to you"...

Other than that, no it wasn't posted to "present a threat", just some sage, sound advice to maybe keep you out of court.

Remember, anything posted on the internet is "NEVER" deleted, just removed from the place it was posted.... That said, moderators and administrators of this forum have access to EVERY post (deleted or not) and the "edit trail" that reveals EVERY change to EVERY post that has been made on the forum from its inception with the first post by the founder to present....

So, nothing ever leaves the web..... The best way to prevent a lawsuit from a "silly post" is simply "don't post silly stuff"...
Sound and sage advice...........but I still liked my post too!

Tags
bed