Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #81
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I do remember diesel fuel being cheaper than gas. Gas being 19 cents/gal. Waiting in line on odd/even days for gas and when gas was an outrageous 79cents saying if it his a dollar a gallon I’ll quit driving. And let’s not forget all that lead.
19 cents a gallon and if it was ESSO, they'd give you a tiger tail to hang off your gas cap. If it was Sinclair, Gulf, Phillips 66 or Texaco Sky Chief, they'd give you a glass or a piece of china (plate, bowl or cup/saucer) with every 10 gallon purchase....

Somewhere, I've still got a set of Billups glasses and we still use the Exxon plastic trays that we got in Denver in the early '70's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #82
flybouy
Site Team

Probably one of the "youngsters" around here, born 1954.

My earliest recollection of a car was Mt father's 1949 Ford coupe. The memory was crawling up to lay down on the "package shelf" to sleep. Also have a faint memory of setting on my father's lap steering that '49 down down the road.
Back then they only "safety device" was the driver's common sense and skill.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:44 PM   #83
66joej

While on the subject of remembering. 81 in a few weeks. Grew up on a farm near the Ontario/Minnesota border (Pigeon River). I used a pump similar to this to fuel up the Ford. And it was self serve! Had to go inside and tell the clerk how many gallons we took. Ah! the good old days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old gas pump.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	25443  

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #84
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Probably one of the "youngsters" around here, born 1954.

My earliest recollection of a car was Mt father's 1949 Ford coupe. The memory was crawling up to lay down on the "package shelf" to sleep. Also have a faint memory of setting on my father's lap steering that '49 down down the road.
Back then they only "safety device" was the driver's common sense and skill.
LOL!
Born 1951 not sure where as to a youngster here, but also remember our 49 Chevy Torpedo back (early fastback), and fighting my sister to ride in the package shelf.
One other safety device was drivers arm holding you back in a sudden stop!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:53 PM   #85
chuckster57
Site Team

As long we are taking a detour, born in ‘57. Dad had a Goliath. Grandpa had a sweet ‘56 Pontiac.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:18 PM   #86
Jfreek65

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I know all of you over 60 will relate to this: In 1961 I was 13, had saved my very hard earned money, and rode my bicycle north of Rice Lake to the sports/bait store. I plunked down $70 and rode away with a 2 year old .308 Savage Model 99, replete with old used case and one box of cartridges. Yes, I still have the rifle AND old case. To say things were different then would be a gross understatement.

As a lefty and only great grandkid who was one in the family, when I was old enough to start hunting I received great grandpa’s .250 and .300 savages, both model 99’s. I still shoot them.

A friend was trying to get me to buy his .308 for “just under what it books for” and I had to laugh when he quoted me the number, knowing what great grandpa paid for them new.
1965 International Scout 80
Jfreek65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:45 AM   #87
larry337

Quote:
My experience and observations:

Folks that have only towed with a gasser will tell you all the negative aspects of a diesel.

Folks that have towed with a diesel typically won't go back to a gasser.

Folks that have towed with both typically prefer the diesel. I'm in this group.
Nuff said....

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:09 AM   #88
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everyoung View Post
Ford; I have 3 diesel's , F250, Gets 18 mpg with 18,000 lb gooseneck load. F550 9 mpg with 45,000 lb load, 10 ton dump gets 5mph loaded with gravel.
5mph is really slow! (Kidding. I know what you meant).
Old 03-07-2020, 06:52 AM   #89
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You're in the same "generation" as me. I can't remember ever going on vacation without spending a part of a day, a night or both at a "service station" waiting for the parts store to open. It seemed we'd always lose a generator, a water pump, a fan belt or a starter on every extended trip. Back then tires were bias ply, lasted "maybe 12,000 miles if babied" or less if treated normally. Dad bought a new Pontiac every 2 years, so even with a "new car and a 12K/1 year warranty" we always seemed to "become friends with the "Nab machine" at a service station every vacation.....

That old truck is what I learned to "drive on the blacktop". I started with "Salley and a wagon" moved up to an old IH tractor (with routine scoldings for not staying between the rows) and finally to that old truck "straight to town, don't go past the Sunflower store and straight back home. If Mr Duncan stops you, tell him that I sent you to town and have him come talk to me." That was before anyone "did business on the phone" (party lines with no privacy), so phones were for socializing not private business...

Mr Duncan was the local constable in town and knew every kid, exactly how old we were and whether we had a driver's license or not. He'd sit at the city limits sign and wave to us as we passed on the way to get a Honey Bun and a RC Those were "simpler times" when a less crowded world allowed us to be safe even when we were pushing the edge....
I grew up in a place like that when I was a kid. To bad we don't have a time machine.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:54 AM   #90
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
19 cents a gallon and if it was ESSO, they'd give you a tiger tail to hang off your gas cap. If it was Sinclair, Gulf, Phillips 66 or Texaco Sky Chief, they'd give you a glass or a piece of china (plate, bowl or cup/saucer) with every 10 gallon purchase....

Somewhere, I've still got a set of Billups glasses and we still use the Exxon plastic trays that we got in Denver in the early '70's.
Don't forger the S&H stamps. We could get those also. The guy would ask how many gallons you wanted. Wash the windows check the oil.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:59 AM   #91
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

You guys are bringing back some good memories. I be born in 52. In a town called Fort Dodge Iowa. Then we moved to Gowrie Iowa. We rented a farm house back them. Man I sure hatred winter LOL
Old 03-07-2020, 07:05 AM   #92
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ruff Rider View Post
You guys are bringing back some good memories. I be born in 52. In a town called Fort Dodge Iowa. Then we moved to Gowrie Iowa. We rented a farm house back them. Man I sure hatred winter LOL
When I was a Child I loved winter and couldn't wait for t to snow. And then my father introduced me to the snow Shovel. Oh well, all good things must come to an end!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:34 AM   #93
LewisB

Quote:
When I was a Child I loved winter and couldn't wait for t to snow. And then my father introduced me to the snow Shovel. Oh well, all good things must come to an end!
Count me in on that! 1948 for me - Colorado was the place.
We now live in Tucson where snow shovels and lawn mowers are against the law (not really, but could be)
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:10 AM   #94
JRTJH
Site Team

When we "retired" my DW informed me that we were moving back to Michigan so she could be near "her" family, after 30+ years in Louisiana near "my" family. We tore down the old cabin, built a new house and, well, here we are, in "all of winter's glory" <sigh>……

I just spent a bit more than $5000 for a new "front mount snow blower" for my tractor. While not a "necessity" it sure is better than using the front end loader or a rear 3 point blower to move 4+ foot drifts. Around here, after the first 8 or 10 snowfalls, there's no place to "push new snow" so without space and planning, plowing only works until January (February in a light snowfall year) and there's still 3 more months of "where do I put this snow?"... So a blower is much more practical than a plow.

Anyway, if snow shovels and snow blowers were "outlawed" around here, Arizona and Florida would have even more "snow birds" than they already do.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade