Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #41
BAPotter

Zipper merge is being emphasized by nearly all HP Troopers. Don't merge early, rather at the junction. Faster and safer.
BAPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #42
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAPotter View Post
Zipper merge is being emphasized by nearly all HP Troopers. Don't merge early, rather at the junction. Faster and safer.
And then the same state's DOT puts signs up for miles ahead telling people which lane is going away, which completely spoils the strategy. They need to pick one tactic and stick to it.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #43
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
How about when you are traveling 75 mph at rush hour on a highway with bumper to bumper traffic with four or five lanes each direction and suddenly an "exit left 1/4 mile" sign appears. You have approximately 12 seconds to find a hole in the traffic and change lanes.

1. You shouldn't be pulling a trailer at 75.
2. Never would happen if you are using a GPS
3. I assume the above example is Interstate or State route. There are guidelines (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) for advance notice of left exits (usually at 1/2 and and 1 mile in advance. (See figure 2E-15 in standards. If you are traveling without a GPS then your co-pilot should be looking at the map and the driver should be watching exit signs that identify right or left.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #44
Northern Lights

Listening to truck drivers on your CB when approaching construction sites & accident scenes can be a big help on open lanes
Northern Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #45
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
How about when you are traveling 75 mph at rush hour on a highway with bumper to bumper traffic with four or five lanes each direction and suddenly an "exit left 1/4 mile" sign appears. You have approximately 12 seconds to find a hole in the traffic and change lanes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
1. You shouldn't be pulling a trailer at 75.
2. Never would happen if you are using a GPS
3. I assume the above example is Interstate or State route. There are guidelines (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) for advance notice of left exits (usually at 1/2 and and 1 mile in advance. (See figure 2E-15 in standards. If you are traveling without a GPS then your co-pilot should be looking at the map and the driver should be watching exit signs that identify right or left.
I believe that the answer to #1. should be "Why the HE!! would you be towing at 75 mph in Bumper to Bumper traffic" You are a fool if you do.

As far as general road construction, I just go with the flow!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #46
travelin texans

Since retirement in '08 we've towed our 5th wheels over 100k miles (through Houston, Seattle, Atlanta to name the worst few) & can't recall one time that towing through a construction zone was any different than any other time just slower & you found all the idiot drivers that didn't want to be behind you.
Unfortunately nowadays that zipper merge will NEVER work, everyone has to be 1st especially if trucks or large RVs may be in front of you if you don't hurry & cut in front of the line. Courteous drivers are a thing of the past, now it's me 1st.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #47
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
I'm not sure whats the issue. When heading into a construction zone I just look at the road signs. Most are clear enough to help me decide which lane I need.
I do the same.
And I hope lane markers are wide enough to pass through.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:29 AM   #48
jimborokz

I tow through Atlanta several times each winter, down 75 to connect to I20. It's actually faster than taking the loop. I go at a moderate speed regardless of how fast the traffic is. I watch the signage closely because lanes turn into exit only and you have to move over. I try to signal lane change as soon as I know it's coming and usually someone will soon let me in. In spite of the congestion and speeds I find Southern drivers generally courteous. The same goes for Charleston when I get there. I'm never in a hurry and I know others are trying to get to work so I don't get angry or uptight, just give them a break. Also helps to keep the BP down. And if I can't get to an exit I just pass it buy, gps will reroute me.
Be careful out there folks and arrive safely.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:44 AM   #49
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
I tow through Atlanta several times each winter, down 75 to connect to I20. It's actually faster than taking the loop. I go at a moderate speed regardless of how fast the traffic is. I watch the signage closely because lanes turn into exit only and you have to move over. I try to signal lane change as soon as I know it's coming and usually someone will soon let me in. In spite of the congestion and speeds I find Southern drivers generally courteous. The same goes for Charleston when I get there. I'm never in a hurry and I know others are trying to get to work so I don't get angry or uptight, just give them a break. Also helps to keep the BP down. And if I can't get to an exit I just pass it buy, gps will reroute me.
Be careful out there folks and arrive safely.

I only average one trip through Atlanta a year but your approach is basically what I do and I also have no problems. GPS definately help with knowing when exits (right or left) are coming up.