Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2023, 07:10 AM   #1
Greasyrick

Soft start or not soft start?

Hello everyone, thinking about upgrading the camper’s solar, it came with the 200watt package, so basically it means replace the charge controller and pretty much add everything else needed, been reading a bit about the soft start subject.

Here are the sections I pasted from the SofStartRv website;

What are the benefits of having a soft start for an RV air conditioner?

The benefits of having a soft start for an RV air conditioner are substantial. Soft starts allow for more efficient use of energy and help to reduce the wear and tear on your air conditioning unit. With a soft start, your AC can maintain a consistent temperature without having to cycle on and off so much, resulting in longer service life and lower energy bills. The soft start also helps to reduce sudden spikes in current draw when the AC starts up, which helps prevent additional strain on your electrical system or generator. Finally, increased comfort levels are possible since the AC will not make those jarring stops and starts associated with cycling on and off. Overall, having a soft start is an invaluable addition to any RV’s air conditioning system and is worth every penny.

Are there any negative impacts from using a soft start for an RV air conditioner?

Yes, there are some negative impacts from using a soft start for an RV air conditioner. While a soft start does help to alleviate some of the stress on the power supply and reduce the amount of voltage spikes which can cause damage to other electrical components, it also shortens the lifespan of the AC unit. Additionally, while a soft starter may initially save energy costs, it will eventually cause one to spend more in repairs and maintenance due to the increased wear and tear on the components caused by the soft start system. As with any type of motor and motor control, it is important to consider the full cost implications when considering whether or not to invest in a soft start system.

As you can see, these two paragraphs contradict.

So my questions are, is there enough evidence that you guys are aware of premature A/C unit failures out there as a result of installing a soft start, if any?

I know the cost of one good battery alone is almost as much as one new A/C unit, so, providing there’s enough room, is it possible to add enough batteries and panels to avoid installing a soft start?

Is adding extra batteries and panels cost effective in the long run?

Also another question, has anyone experienced any issues adding a different brand solar panel (with same wattage), than the factory installed one? I know different brands have different specs, so just wondering.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Greasyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 08:38 AM   #2
NH_Bulldog

I have been using a soft start (Micro Air EasyStart) and have not had any issues or concerns with equipment. But that is only while using a stable power supply like shore power or a properly sized inverter generator.

I would not under any circumstances try to run my AC through an inverter off the solar/battery system even if someone said it can be done.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 09:18 AM   #3
tallen

I have been using Soft start since I got the RV, no issues so far either.
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 12:43 PM   #4
Javi

I've been using the Microair EasyStart with both my 15,000 A/C, no problems. I easily run one A/C on my 4600 Champion
Old 12-28-2023, 09:28 PM   #5
Greasyrick

Thanks

Thank you guys for the replies, I assume the main benefit of a soft start would be to rum two A/C units at the same time on a 30 amp wired camper or a 30 amp service, otherwise I see no benefit on installing them on a 50 amp setup, (correct me if I’m wrong).

Still would like to know if anyone is running A/C with a solar setup.
Old 12-29-2023, 03:41 AM   #6
JBM3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasyrick View Post
Thank you guys for the replies, I assume the main benefit of a soft start would be to rum two A/C units at the same time on a 30 amp wired camper or a 30 amp service, otherwise I see no benefit on installing them on a 50 amp setup, (correct me if I’m wrong).

Well I don't think using two units on one 30 amp circuit is right no matter what. If both compressors kick on at same time it will overload the circuit soft start of no. I have soft start on both my roof units, run them if necessary on a 9K generator or 50 amp circuit. I will not run them on a 30 amp circuit. I also put one on my home AC unit.
Some believe it actually increases the life of AC unit, so there is conflict in thought. I vote 100% soft start.

As far as solar is concerned, you would need one heck of a system to keep up to AC over the hours that they would run. I am not very informed on RV solar.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 06:38 AM   #7
ChuckS

30 amp service will not work trying to run to AC units at the same time.. You will not have any amperage available to run anything else...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 07:00 AM   #8
cougar23

Soft Start allows me to run my AC with my 2000 watt generator.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 11:54 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

To answer the original question.....a soft start will not enable you to run an A/C on solar. Solar charges batteries. It would take Manny, many batteries to have enough amphouurs to power a rather large inverter to run any A/C unit for a sufficient amount of time to be effective. That's the FIRST part of the equation.

The SECOND half of the equation would be the incredible amount of solar power required to recharge the aforementioned batteries.

For consideration, the number of L ion batteries, the number of solar panels, the large converter, large guage wires, the controllers, etc. come at a very high price. That high cost is not only money but also with a consumption of space and weight. In short, it's just not practical.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 01:31 PM   #10
theboneskes

You guys do know that a Suppco SPP6 capacitor does the same thing as your soft start right? And, it costs less than $20.

Yes, Im a HVAC/AC tech-own my own business. I can run my 15k AC on ONE 1600 watt continuous/2000 peak inverter generator.
Prodigy P1 Brake Controller
Used to own: 2006 Jayco 29FBS
theboneskes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 02:49 PM   #11
NH_Bulldog

Isn’t that a Hard-Start capacitor as opposed to a Soft-Start? The idea behind it being to quickly force start the AC unit and get it up and running before the generator can sense and shut down on overload? The heavy in-rush of power can and does shorten the life of a compressor, especially a light-duty RV unit. I understand they certainly have their place in commercial HVAC applications, but I am very wary of using one on an RV air conditioner or sensitive inverter generator due to the increase in stress/wear on the components.

The general industry consensus is that a soft-start is friendlier to a system than a hard-start. Just my personal choice not to use one as much as it is your personal choice to use one.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 04:14 PM   #12
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasyrick View Post

I have not seen a 30A trailer with two ACs and if this was done you would have to get the 10-12k units that require 15A service and not run anything else. 50A service is all I've seen with each AC (or prewire) on one each leg of the service.

None of this will help you run AC on a solar setup for very long. What I use softstart for, like others, is to run one of the units (my choice) on my duel fuel generator when boondocking or running the AC while packing setting up the trailer in the driveway from a 20A circuit.

I have never had a problem with the softstart and there is a noticable difference with/without them installed on the AC.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 04:41 PM   #13
GlasNav

Greasyrick: Out of curiosity, was your original post on this subject AI or partially generated?

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 05:58 PM   #14
Greasyrick

I don’t follow you, what do you mean?
Old 12-30-2023, 09:06 AM   #15
GlasNav

Upon rereading your initial post I see that you cut and pasted the pros and cons from an easy start website. My question had to do with whether or not you used something like AI Chat to generate the paragraphs. I'm interested to see how that technology interfaces with everyday interactions and questions.
Having seen news posts where AI Chat has messed with legal briefs etc.
Just being inquisitive...

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 04:46 PM   #16
Greasyrick

I got you, no, I did not use any of that, I just highlighted, copied and pasted those two paragraphs in my tablet.
Old 12-31-2023, 08:56 AM   #17
LHaven

My son, who occasionally moochdocks his 30A MH at our place from a 15A outdoor outlet ('80s-era home) found that adding a SoftStart allowed him to run his A/C, a great benefit in Arizona!
Old 12-31-2023, 09:05 AM   #18
hlh1

I find it odd that a Soft Start may shorten the life of the AC unit, as quoted in the first post. My home AC maintenance team recommends a "soft start" for my home 4 ton unit for longevity, but I've yet to do it. Seems to me not allowing the startup, "locked rotor", high current would be good for the home or RV AC unit long term. I installed one of these on my TT and right away the compressor start up was much quieter, as to be almost not noticeable. Before the "soft start" installation compressor start up was accompanied with a noisy "thump". With the TT soft start installed the AC can now be run on a 2 kva generator if needed.
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:28 AM   #19
carln

I have installed a 550AH Lithionics LiFePo battery with an inverter. I also installed a softstart system on my AC unit so I could run the AC off of a generator. Just so that I knew (and had read it worked), I tried running my AC off of the inverter/battery system one time - with that huge battery, it ran a few hours before I had run it down near the cutoff. So, one answer is "yes, it can be done," but as others have alluded to, I would need a lot more solar panels than is practical (for me anyway) to charge that battery back up and/or to keep up with the drain of an AC unit.

If I think I need AC, I bring my generator along.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:43 AM   #20
hlh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carln View Post
I have installed a 550AH Lithionics LiFePo battery with an inverter. I also installed a softstart system on my AC unit so I could run the AC off of a generator. Just so that I knew (and had read it worked), I tried running my AC off of the inverter/battery system one time - with that huge battery, it ran a few hours before I had run it down near the cutoff. So, one answer is "yes, it can be done," but as others have alluded to, I would need a lot more solar panels than is practical (for me anyway) to charge that battery back up and/or to keep up with the drain of an AC unit.

If I think I need AC, I bring my generator along.

I've wanted enough battery to run the TT AC for a couple of hours while stopped at a rest stop for lunch. Someday I might do this.
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote