Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Handysam

Blow out

Had a blow today on the way home from our weekend trip First one for our Cougar 327 res fifth wheel, only a year and half old. Any way I was thinking of changing out all the tires to xps ribs, and was wondering if anyone has changed out the tires on their 327 res, if so what size and brand did you get. The size of the tires on there now are 235 80 16's. Thanks, and Happy Fathers day to all Dads.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
smiller

I changed out to Maxxis M8008 ST235/80-16 (from the original Towmax which I just couldn't bring myself to trust.) That and the excellent but pricey XPS ribs are probably the best two options for a tire that is manufacturer-rated for trailer service. If you don't care about the latter there are a host of other substitutes, but FWIW the Maxxis and Michelin Rib both have good track records and thus are a somewhat known quantity. I would definitely stay away from off-brand 'Chinese' tires and the Goodyear Marathon, both of which seem to have terrible reliability records.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
chuck&gail

I think Goodyear Marathons are also Chinese made willpops.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

They are pricey but you get what you pay for. My vote goes for the XPS Ribs. I don't like running anything at the max and ST tire speed ratings of 65mph always worried me. The Ribs are Q rated (99mph) so I know at 65mph I'm not pushing the limits. You may have to go to a slightly taller 85 ratio size and watch load ratings. All are E rated but some narrow sizes are 2680lb and wider are 3040lb max single. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I don't like running anything at the max and ST tire speed ratings of 65mph always worried me.
But then again the maximum weight rating of the Michelin Ribs is notably lower than the M8008 so when running the ribs you may well be trading running near the speed rating for running near the weight rating. In heavy RV service you're probably always going to be near one rating or another so... pick your poison...
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
outbackmac

tires

I will be watching this closely as i want to replace my 235 80 16 also but i have a problem that is the space between my tires is about 3 inches or less and i was told by factory to keep it at 2 inches mininum. so with that in mind not a tire expert here what are my options?

2011 outback 321 frl
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
They are pricey but you get what you pay for. My vote goes for the XPS Ribs. I don't like running anything at the max and ST tire speed ratings of 65mph always worried me. The Ribs are Q rated (99mph) so I know at 65mph I'm not pushing the limits. You may have to go to a slightly taller 85 ratio size and watch load ratings. All are E rated but some narrow sizes are 2680lb and wider are 3040lb max single. JM2¢, Hank
I'm just posting this as an information note for your reference book.

Michelin does not use the 16" XPS Rib tire as OEM in the RV trailer market. However, when they are used as OEM on self propelled RVs michelin derates their MPH to 75. Here is a reference.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...?tread=XPS RIB

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
CWtheMan

To the best of my knowledge there are only two Special Trailer (ST) tire manufacturers currently using Nylon overlays during tire manufacturing. Both are being built at plants with a very high percentage of ethnic Chinese employees. One is in Mainland China and the other is in Taiwan. The tire brands are Maxxis and the Power King TowMax STR .

Here is the warranty info.

http://www.maxxis.com/Industrial/Tra...-Warranty.aspx

http://towmaxtires.com/tires/Landing...ation=warranty

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I'm just posting this as an information note for your reference book.

Michelin does not use the 16" XPS Rib tire as OEM in the RV trailer market. However, when they are used as OEM on self propelled RVs michelin derates their MPH to 75. Here is a reference.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...?tread=XPS RIB

CW
CW, The reason for the different ratings are because XPS Ribs are considered three position tires, Steering axle, Drive axle and Commercial Trailer tires and ratings are different for each application. Michelin also recommends that in trailer use the tires be used at max inflation to reduce sidewall flex and torquing in tight turns. The walls are much stiffer than ST tires. I used to swear by GY Marathons when they were made in North America. My first set of off shore Marathons were a total disappointment. Luckily my old wooden framed Layton did not damage easily from tread separations.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote