Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2021, 03:58 AM   #1
jasin1

Toy hauler ramp access

I’ve been looking at toy haulers for a future rig, as I like being able to carry everything inside the rear storage.
I particularly like the ones with rear bedroom and smaller rear door and under bed storage.
How much trouble is it at campsites? Do you have to unload everything and then back the rig in a lot of times? Or do you find you usually have enough space to open the rear door to store things overnight.
I guess I figured I could treat it like a shed on my property. after thinking about it I wonder if most of the time I will not have access unless I book a pull through site or really long back in site
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:14 AM   #2
xrated

Every site will be different....some with just enough room, some with a lot of room and then the site like I was in last year that didn't have enough room and if I would have had my Spyder RT with me, would have had to unload it before I backed in. Not only will it be site dependent, the length of your trailer will also obviously affect how much room you have. Hope that helps a bit.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:51 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I’ve been looking at toy haulers for a future rig, as I like being able to carry everything inside the rear storage.
I particularly like the ones with rear bedroom and smaller rear door and under bed storage.
How much trouble is it at campsites? Do you have to unload everything and then back the rig in a lot of times? Or do you find you usually have enough space to open the rear door to store things overnight.
I guess I figured I could treat it like a shed on my property. after thinking about it I wonder if most of the time I will not have access unless I book a pull through site or really long back in site
I can tell you to look close at the rear bedroom toy haulers. Most often the bed has to be lifted to fit a single motorcycle, and it has to be unloaded to use the bedroom.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:06 AM   #4
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
So it sounds like you want the extra storage ("a shed" without it being a motorcycle or toy) AND simultaneous use of a back bed, correct? I agree with Chuck's comments on the rear bedroom units.

You might consider a "normal" toy hauler with the 2-bed happy jack system in the garage. You could use either (or both) of the garage beds while still having a large storage area under the beds. This storage would be accessible from inside the garage or by opening the ramp from the outside.

We really like the toy hauler for the larger tanks (fresh & waste), onboard generator and fuel tanks, etc. Plus the back area will store a lot of "junk" as well as our side-by-side.

Space available (length) will almost always be an issue in "campgrounds". Our 39' toyhauler also has a "ramp/party deck" and we can rarely use it in campgrounds due to the length. I've never measured it, but the DRW crew-cab truck + trailer + ramp/party deck has to be well over 70' in length! Over the years, we have found favorite places we can go if we make reservations. But where it is really nice is when we are boon docking and don't have a "designated parking space."

Hope that helps!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:26 AM   #5
JDDilly

Correct, the bed has to be lowered to use it. I have a MHC 381TH and haul a golf cart. for those few nights we sleep while on the road, we use one of the couches. Not ideal, but it works and we can take the golf cart. I have mobility issues and need the golf cart. I felt this was a better option then pulling a trailer behind the 5er.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #6
travelin texans

We studied THs very closely before we bought our last 5th wheel with the thought of using it as a shed/craft room, no toys, but we both found the living area to be too cramped with usually ALL the seating at 90 degrees &/or 45 degrees upward to view the tv & smaller kitchens/bedrooms. Have not looked at them several years so I'm sure they've got many more floorplans available now, but just something to think about as you're looking.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:53 AM   #7
jasin1

Thanks for the reply’s! My wife’s cousin has a small grand design-fifth wheel toy hauler and he has to turn to the right to watch tv. I love the open layout of my fifth wheel, toy haulers feel like your in two separate smaller trailers. The smaller rear door toy hauler under the bed seemed to address those concerns. I guess I will take a look at them in person.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:56 PM   #8
Getn off

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
We studied THs very closely before we bought our last 5th wheel with the thought of using it as a shed/craft room, no toys, but we both found the living area to be too cramped with usually ALL the seating at 90 degrees &/or 45 degrees upward to view the tv & smaller kitchens/bedrooms. Have not looked at them several years so I'm sure they've got many more floorplans available now, but just something to think about as you're looking.
This is the only reason we didn’t buy a toy hauler the first time.
Last year we found one with a TV straight ahead and a side (and rear) porch. Fell in love. Traded up. Haven’t looked back!
Not a Keystone, but you guys here are so much better than the Heartland folks!
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler