Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 06:06 AM   #1
Raven

Venting 2 6 volt batteries

Our 2008 Laredo 265rl is stationary on land without power. The plan is to upgrade from a group 27 to 2 6 volt batteries. Trying to decide on flooded or agm. Either way, the 6 volt batteries will not fit into current battery well in front compartment. If we go with 6 volt flooded, how can they be vented?
Old 03-01-2021, 06:12 AM   #2
rhagfo

Well you can get the necessary parts to install a second case and venting kit.
https://www.amazon.com/Lavanture-Pro...830772&sr=8-19
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 03-01-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
xrated

On mine, when I went from a single 12V battery to a two 6V battery setup, I simply bought a new battery box that was made to fit two batteries, and the size I needed for the GC style batteries. I then bought a couple of PVC pipe couplings and converted the new battery box to be vented and used the existing vent hose and just attached it to the new box I modified.

Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
Old 03-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There are probably as many ways to house and vent two GC-2 batteries as there are trailers that have two GC-2 batteries...

That said, these are a couple of Century Plastics battery boxes that will fit most trailer applications. One holds two batteries "side by side" and the other holds two batteries "end to end"... They come with a lid that can be easily modified to add venting, and I believe this is the type battery box pictured in the post above.

Here's links to one source of these boxes and photos of many of the different styles Century Plastics produces:
https://allbatterysalesandservice.co...Box-Config.png
https://allbatterysalesandservice.co...QaAh32EALw_wcB
https://allbatterysalesandservice.co...MaAqpsEALw_wcB

They aren't the "cheapest boxes on the market" but if you buy them once, you'll probably sell your "very last RV" with the same box, even if you trade trailers multiple times over the next 30 or 40 years.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #5
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are probably as many ways to house and vent two GC-2 batteries as there are trailers that have two GC-2 batteries...

That said, these are a couple of Century Plastics battery boxes that will fit most trailer applications. One holds two batteries "side by side" and the other holds two batteries "end to end"... They come with a lid that can be easily modified to add venting, and I believe this is the type battery box pictured in the post above.

Here's links to one source of these boxes and photos of many of the different styles Century Plastics produces:
https://allbatterysalesandservice.co...Box-Config.png
https://allbatterysalesandservice.co...QaAh32EALw_wcB
https://allbatterysalesandservice.co...MaAqpsEALw_wcB

They aren't the "cheapest boxes on the market" but if you buy them once, you'll probably sell your "very last RV" with the same box, even if you trade trailers multiple times over the next 30 or 40 years.....
John, mine could very well be the Century brand, I honestly don't remember the brand name, but it is definitely sturdy. I also put a couple of screws in the bottom of mine and through the metal floor plate in that compartment to keep the box/batteries from moving around. Mine is the end to end style box, as I had more room to go that direction that having the batteries side by side.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #6
BigBobIa

My Carbon’s battery compartment has 3 shelves but I currently only have one 12v battery. Can I add two 6v and keep the one I have?

Or do I replace the one 12 with two 6?
Old 03-01-2021, 12:06 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobIa View Post
My Carbon’s battery compartment has 3 shelves but I currently only have one 12v battery. Can I add two 6v and keep the one I have?

Or do I replace the one 12 with two 6?
I have seen a pair of 6volt batteries and a single 12volt hooked together. Not what I would do, I would just eliminate the single 12 and put in a fresh pair of 6’s.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #8
Raven

The pics are very helpful. Thanks
Old 03-01-2021, 01:51 PM   #9
Raven

Did you ever consider agm 6 volt batteries? I know the cost is very high but am concerned about my ability to maintain the gc2 batteries.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #10
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Did you ever consider agm 6 volt batteries? I know the cost is very high but am concerned about my ability to maintain the gc2 batteries.
I didn't, as I knew I'd have no issues maintaining the FLA batteries. The hardest part that I had was being able to lift the batteries up, over, and down into the battery box. As you can see from my pictures, the battery box is in the front compartment and it was difficult to lift them up that high and then while reaching holding them that high, basically hold them out in front of me and put them in the box.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #11
Raven

Thanks Xrated. Your explanation about lifting the batteries is what I fear the most. There is a lot to consider. If I can find a well priced pair of agm 6 volt batteries, I may just bite the bullet. I have 2 months to think & plan as the fifth wheel won’t be accessible until April when the snow is gone.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:58 PM   #12
xrated

Quote:
Thanks Xrated. Your explanation about lifting the batteries is what I fear the most. There is a lot to consider. If I can find a well priced pair of agm 6 volt batteries, I may just bite the bullet. I have 2 months to think & plan as the fifth wheel won’t be accessible until April when the snow is gone.
LOL, as far fetched as it may sound, I cut a piece of 1" x 4" lumber and put an eye bolt through it and slid it onto the top of two of the aluminum ribs in the ceiling of the compartment. I have a small rope hoist that I hooked onto it and a battery strap that fits the batteries that I have, and hoisted them up one at a time and into the battery box. I had hernia surgery several years ago and figured that using the hoist was a much better option than risking injuring myself again. True story!

Old 03-01-2021, 05:11 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
LOL, as far fetched as it may sound, I cut a piece of 1" x 4" lumber and put an eye bolt through it and slid it onto the top of two of the aluminum ribs in the ceiling of the compartment. I have a small rope hoist that I hooked onto it and a battery strap that fits the batteries that I have, and hoisted them up one at a time and into the battery box. I had hernia surgery several years ago and figured that using the hoist was a much better option than risking injuring myself again. True story!
I was going to suggest much the same thing. I screwed a pulley into the steel framework over my battery box, use a hook on a HD nylon 1/4" rope and lift the battery clear of the box, then pull it forward to clear the box where I lower it onto a 2x6 that I lay at an angle from the ground to the box, resting on the lower lip of the compartment hatch. Then I just slide it down to the ground, take the rope and hook off the battery carrier and then I can "wrestle it most anywhere"... For me, it's almost impossible to life the battery out of the battery box, over the lip and then clear the compartment lip... My "body mechanics" just don't bend that way after all these years.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-01-2021, 07:20 PM   #14
rhagfo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Well I will enjoy my strength in my old age, I don’t have an issue lifting my group 27 12 volt battery in and out of my front compartment, just passed 70.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:55 AM   #15
xrated

Well, there is an old saying about working smarter, not harder....and then there's the one about "A man's got to know his limitations"....so rather than risk going through a triple hernia surgery again.....or maybe screwing up my back, I choose to lessen the chances of either one.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:54 AM   #16
Raven

After reading several comments about the “pain” of lifting 6 volt batteries in & out, the agm 6 volt batteries are looking more appealing. Given that our RV is stationary, would I need to put the 2 agm 6 volt batteries in battery boxes or can they stand side by side?
Old 03-02-2021, 06:06 AM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well you can get the necessary parts to install a second case and venting kit.
https://www.amazon.com/Lavanture-Pro...830772&sr=8-19
I am likely going to get this setup some what soon. We just went through 9 day without power in Oregon, temperatures at night low to mid 30's. We switched the furnace from electric to gas, and ran the furnace off the single Interstate SRM-27 battery we have had for about 6 to 8 years. We would run the generator until about 8:30 pm then go to battery, would start up about 7:30 am, we set the t-stat at 60 on the colder nights. About the third night checked battery and running it was down to a single dot on the four dot scale. I was worried that the possibly 8 year old battery was about to give up. We found an Interstate dealer near by and got a new SRM-27battery, well it performed about the same. So I got some cable and put the old battery in parallel with the new battery. Last night I turned off the power to the 5er at the pedestal. This morning I have 3 out of four dots while running! I bumped the t-stat up to 68 at 5:00 am and will see if we stay at 3 dots until 7:00 am.
Once I am back on shore power I will disconnect the old battery and start planing the layout for the second. I will be replacing the old with another new battery.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:54 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
After reading several comments about the “pain” of lifting 6 volt batteries in & out, the agm 6 volt batteries are looking more appealing. Given that our RV is stationary, would I need to put the 2 agm 6 volt batteries in battery boxes or can they stand side by side?
You stated in your first post that the unit is stationary and without any connection to the grid. If that is the long range plan then I would go with the more expensive lithium battery if you can afford it. They will far outlast any flooded cell battery and offer you longer and deeper discharge cycles without damaging the battery.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #19
Raven

Yes, I have looked at the lithium battery but would have to update the converter. I think the existing converter should handle two agm 6 volt batteries. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, I have looked at the lithium battery but would have to update the converter. I think the existing converter should handle two agm 6 volt batteries. Any input would be appreciated.
If your trailer is stationary, will never move (other than an unexpected, OH MY kind of move), then why not build a "battery shelter" under the front of the trailer and put your batteries in that shelter? That way, you completely eliminate any requirement to lift or move the batteries into or out of the trailer compartments. It could be as simple as a plastic storage container or as elaborate as a custom built shelter, built to compliment the trailer site.

All you'd need to do is buy or build longer battery cables to connect the batteries in their new location to the existing electrical connectors in the trailer battery compartment.

Designing a "stand alone battery compartment" will eliminate any space limitations and give you the freedom to install 2, 4, or even 20 batteries and the accompanying solar system to meet your needs rather than to meet the space limitations of a small trailer compartment.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Closed Thread

Tags
vent