Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2021, 06:56 AM   #1
johncarm84

City water hook up

Just purchased ‘21 Passport 229RKS. Features the inside storage water connections. This is new to me and am wanting recommendations for “proper” hook up. Old Surveyor had connection on side. I would have beginning from rig: elbow, water filter, hose, regulator, water “splitter”, water source spigot. Will this “fit” in the area on my Passport?
johncarm84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:59 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncarm84 View Post
Just purchased ‘21 Passport 229RKS. Features the inside storage water connections. This is new to me and am wanting recommendations for “proper” hook up. Old Surveyor had connection on side. I would have beginning from rig: elbow, water filter, hose, regulator, water “splitter”, water source spigot. Will this “fit” in the area on my Passport?
Not sure of your question?
Here's how I connected everything. Begin at the campground faucet with either the splitter or the regulator whichever you want 1st then possibly a short hose to the filter then the hose connected to the city water connection at the rv with possibly a 90 degree fitting if needed.
Don't hang the regulator, filter or much more than the 90 degree fitting off the fitting in the rv typically they're plastic & will break if too much weights dangling off of it.

Just FYI, hopefully this is what you're calling a regulator

Name:   shopping.jpeg
Views: 217
Size:  8.2 KB
NOT THIS!!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	40064__34273.1479923235.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	33034
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:19 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

As for your question, I would say no. If you look at the setup trying to go from the elbow to the filter will put the filter right in the middle of the entrance hole going into the convenience center.

I use a 4' hose from the convenience center to the filter but I use a different, canister type filter - which I recommend. If you want to use the blue in line filter I also have a hose extension of maybe 18"? that I used to use. It can connect to the elbow then the filter below the entrance hole then on to the regular hose, regulator etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:31 AM   #4
johncarm84

Thanks!! I was thinking I may have to get a 12-18 inch hose
Old 04-17-2021, 08:35 AM   #5
johncarm84

??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As for your question, I would say no. If you look at the setup trying to go from the elbow to the filter will put the filter right in the middle of the entrance hole going into the convenience center.

I use a 4' hose from the convenience center to the filter but I use a different, canister type filter - which I recommend. If you want to use the blue in line filter I also have a hose extension of maybe 18"? that I used to use. It can connect to the elbow then the filter below the entrance hole then on to the regular hose, regulator etc.

Can you provide link for the canister filter you recommend?
Old 04-17-2021, 09:10 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Can you provide link for the canister filter you recommend?

I guess I can't. Mine came from Amazon, was a single canister type made by Camco and I bought a blue plastic stand for it (it's still there) but the canister water filter is no longer there today. It was the other day because I linked it in another thread but didn't find that quickly either. Here is a link to something similar;

https://www.amazon.com/FRIZZLIFE-Fil...679084&sr=8-28

This is a single canister type filter. They make single, double and triple canister filters. My filter sits in the little stand back under the edge of the trailer. My friend has a double canister set that he just hangs on the side of the frame under his trailer and he loves it. Go to Amazon and search rv water filters and you will see dozens and dozens of options. Find what fits for you and get one from them or wherever else you can find what you want. Camping World sells them as well as other RV stores.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #7
Javi

Actually you can look at several versions of canister filters at RV Water Filter Store on line, but other than convenience their prices can be beaten a Home Depot with a little leg work.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Any 10" canister water filter with pipe thred inlet and outler can be used. Some come with garden hose connections if not they are easily obtainable. A standard 10" canister filter holder will give you the flexability of purchasing the filter cartradges from ,any sources and the options of the filter media to suit your needs.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Any "whole house filter canister" will work and will provide, as Marshall posted, a wide variety of filter elements that can be changed out, depending on the water quality and filter need at the campsite. The are available from around $20 to well over $150, so take your pick....

Here's one similar to what I use: https://www.amazon.com/SimPure-Housi...7V6RY5B4&psc=1

I modified the mount so I can hang the filter canister on the 4" rear bumper of our trailer. Our city water inlet is in that corner of the rear of the trailer, so it works well for us.

A comment about "water quality": If you camp "full time" during the summer, using the filter with all the water flowing into the trailer will keep the element "fresh"... On the other hand, if you camp a couple weekends a month and store the "wet canister and filter element" in the storage bay of your trailer, then you're likely to have a lot of "green slime growing" in the canister after a couple of trips.... We empty all the excess water out of ours by shaking it until it's relatively empty, wrap it in a plastic bag, then when we get home, I lay it in the freezer where it stays until our next trip. When we're packing, I take it out of the freezer and toss it in the storage bay. By the time we get to the campground, it's thawed, but fresh without having to change out the filter element.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water