Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
dronning
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Lakeville
Posts: 39
Anyone have a Garmin RV 1090?

looking for some feedback.

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a RV 890 and saw the 1090. The 2" bigger screen would be easier to see but is it too big/or worth the extra $200 price tag?
- Dave
__________________

dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning View Post
looking for some feedback.

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a RV 890 and saw the 1090. The 2" bigger screen would be easier to see but is it too big/or worth the extra $200 price tag?
- Dave
Don't have that model but if I were considering it I would cut a peice of cardboard that size to check for fit on the dash before ordering. As far as if "it's worth it" that's strictly your call. Folks that don't camp in RVs probably don't think your rig is "worth it" and for them it isn't. 10" is a common screen size for many tablets so if you know someone with one ask them if you can borrow it long enough to try it out in the truck.
__________________

__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:40 PM   #3
notanlines
Senior Member
 
notanlines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 4,784
First and foremost, does it have options that you and your family will use? Secondly, how big is big enough? Do RV'ers need a 69" Samsung 4K sitting seven feet in front of their theater seats? Would you like to have your Samsung
super-duper latest and greatest smart phone be equipped with a 12" screen? You see where I'm headed with this? I personally don't need to see the entire state of Texas on screen to follow directions down I-10 west. Most of these electronics companies are banking on the 'mine's bigger than yours' mentality.
__________________
Jim in Memphis
Wife of 49 years is Brenda
2019 F450 6.7 Powerstroke
2017 Mobile Suites 40RSSA
2015 26TBUD Salem Forest River (For Alaska Trip)
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
dronning
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Lakeville
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Don't have that model but if I were considering it I would cut a peice of cardboard that size to check for fit on the dash before ordering. As far as if "it's worth it" that's strictly your call. Folks that don't camp in RVs probably don't think your rig is "worth it" and for them it isn't. 10" is a common screen size for many tablets so if you know someone with one ask them if you can borrow it long enough to try it out in the truck.
Thanks, funny before reading your post I had already cut a couple pieces of cardboard out. Then you mentioned comparing tablets. DUH! I have an 8" iPad mini I use with my drone and an older 10" iPad I use to use for work, so I'll drag them out. I'm still going to tape the cardboard in a couple of locations though.
- Dave
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #5
jasin1
Senior Member
 
jasin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Middle River
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning View Post
looking for some feedback.

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a RV 890 and saw the 1090. The 2" bigger screen would be easier to see but is it too big/or worth the extra $200 price tag?
- Dave
I have the rv 785..it was last summers newest garmin offering..they seem to come out with new ones monthly...I would be hesitant to have such a large gps unless you mount it below the dash ..my 785 takes up a lot of space on my dash,any bigger and it would impede my sight...I like the 785 because it has a built in dashcam
__________________
2020 Cougar 315 RLS
2020 Ram 3500 6.7HO 4.10 Dually Aisin
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #6
dronning
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Lakeville
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
First and foremost, does it have options that you and your family will use? Secondly, how big is big enough? Do RV'ers need a 69" Samsung 4K sitting seven feet in front of their theater seats? Would you like to have your Samsung
super-duper latest and greatest smart phone be equipped with a 12" screen? You see where I'm headed with this? I personally don't need to see the entire state of Texas on screen to follow directions down I-10 west. Most of these electronics companies are banking on the 'mine's bigger than yours' mentality.
I get what your saying. Over 50 years and 500,000+ miles on motorcycles and most of the long trips were with trip tics/maps in baggies taped to the tank. I got a ton of grief when I first bought a GPS, a Garmin 2610 with a 3" screen. I've spent a ton on tech over the years and don't regret it, new GPS systems, Sena comm systems, wired then wireless. Each purchase was well thought out and made the ride more enjoyable and/or safe.
- Dave
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I have the rv 785..it was last summers newest garmin offering..they seem to come out with new ones monthly...I would be hesitant to have such a large gps unless you mount it below the dash ..my 785 takes up a lot of space on my dash,any bigger and it would impede my sight...I like the 785 because it has a built in dashcam
With the price drop of LED displays and ever larger smartphone screens I guess they are giving customers what they want. I think some new trucks have 11" screens in the dash.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:59 AM   #8
notanlines
Senior Member
 
notanlines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 4,784
David, the first thing we did to the sidecar 16 years ago was put two power points near the dash. And what was the first item we installed? Yep, the Garmin! I believe an old 'nuvi' model.
I can match your 50 years with 52 years, but the 500K you might have me there. With you in the Minneapolis area that takes some doing to average 10K a year!
__________________
Jim in Memphis
Wife of 49 years is Brenda
2019 F450 6.7 Powerstroke
2017 Mobile Suites 40RSSA
2015 26TBUD Salem Forest River (For Alaska Trip)
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:59 AM   #9
dronning
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Lakeville
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
David, the first thing we did to the sidecar 16 years ago was put two power points near the dash. And what was the first item we installed? Yep, the Garmin! I believe an old 'nuvi' model.
I can match your 50 years with 52 years, but the 500K you might have me there. With you in the Minneapolis area that takes some doing to average 10K a year!
I remember when the Nuvi came out I wanted one but I couldn't find a mount for my BMW so I stuck with the 2600 series. There were many years with 30K miles and one with 42K miles. I commuted to work and back a lot, it was 57 miles round trip and I almost always took the long way home and put on 150 miles. Every summer in my 40's & 50's there was at least 1 major trip to the West Coast, South West, Northwest, Florida or Alaska. A few times North of the Arctic Circle. My last long trip was in '17 about 9K. On my way home my wife flew out to 'Vegas to meet me and ride the rest of the way back. She did a 700+ mile day which was huge for her.

It use to be all about ride and I know I missed a lot, now with the Toy Hauler we can spend time in an area and enjoy it more.
- Dave

OH and to get back on topic, I decided to go with the RV890. The 10" screen is too big.
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:07 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
David, the first thing we did to the sidecar 16 years ago was put two power points near the dash. And what was the first item we installed? Yep, the Garmin! I believe an old 'nuvi' model.
I can match your 50 years with 52 years, but the 500K you might have me there. With you in the Minneapolis area that takes some doing to average 10K a year!
Brings back memories. I used a laptop in the car running Delorme Street Atlas with a satellite antenna plugged into the RS232 port. It was cumbersome but it worked. I think the first stand alone GPS I put in the car was a Magellan unit that had an sd card with the "maps" that you had to but separate and a "flip up anmtenna". It was far better than juggling the laptop with an antenna sliding all over the dash.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
Northofu1
Senior Member
 
Northofu1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posts: 1,689
Still can't beat Mapquest printed maps. Now whose bragging?
__________________

__________________
Dan & Serena

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×