Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
Ksupaul

Maiden Voyage

Nothing like buying in the middle of the winter!! Picked it up today and took it straight out for a maiden voyage. Leaving it winterized, so can’t check out sewer or water system this trip. So far so good for most part. Learning some of what I always knew like push or pull on something just a little harder than you should and you will likely pull out a small screw in this soft manufactured wood. Learning some of what I didn’t know, like furnace and fireplace work fantastic (first time winter camping) and the leveling system works great (so far).

Troubles: Had a few marker lights not work at pick up. Also the radio and TV are not picking up a single station even with booster on. I read the antenna is worthless, but nothing at all? Friends always pull radio stations and at least 3-4 tv stations where we are camping with stock equipment. Hoping they will find antenna unplugged when I run it back for the warranty fixes.

Until next time!
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Enjoy your maiden camping trip !!! Great looking family you've got to share it with you !!!

As for the TV reception, did you go into the TV menu (onscreen) select "OTA" or Over the Air (not cable) and do a channel scan? If not, the TV receiver won't recognize anything coming in from the antenna (which still may be "worthless and/or disconnected") But without the channel scan, it's a guaranteed fail......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
Tbos

Glad you are enjoying your new rig. Welcome to the forum.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
Ksupaul

I did JRJTH! No dice. Tried other inputs too Incase it was plugged in wired. Also found a setting on the radio to set some kind of frequency setting between USA1, USA2, Europe, and Australia. Again No Dice. We will get her figured out. Reality is the radio is more important to me for stations really.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
Alpine

Well, through it all you are all still smiling! Great looking wagon! Enjoy!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats on the maiden voyage! Looks like the family is having fun. As far as radio, TV reception etc.......don't expect much. If you're looking for radio reception you might want to pull the head unit for the radio/dvd etc. Mine, like most I've heard of, was just coiled in a little ball behind the control head....I left it there. I have so many ways of getting music, news, tv etc. trying to build out the minimal system in the trailer isn't worth my time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:58 AM   #7
Terry W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Congrats on the maiden voyage! Looks like the family is having fun. As far as radio, TV reception etc.......don't expect much. If you're looking for radio reception you might want to pull the head unit for the radio/dvd etc. Mine, like most I've heard of, was just coiled in a little ball behind the control head....I left it there. I have so many ways of getting music, news, tv etc. trying to build out the minimal system in the trailer isn't worth my time.
Welcome and congratulations. I had the same radio issues and ended up buying an marine antenna and mounting it, an outside exposed antenna. I personally don't like your style tv antenna. I replaced my batwing with a flat Windgard that picks up on both sides and love it. Happy travels

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:18 AM   #8
notanlines

Paul, we can all tell by the picture that a big time is being had by all. My advice is to buy a cheap ($20.00) antenna from any dollar store and try it in different places instead of your rooftop for now and see if that won't at least get in a few stations. If you still can't at least get one of the local PBS stations then the fault would be somewhere else. (Box up the cheapo and take it back for the $20.00) We used the crank-up rooftop on our Raptor for four years and always had about twenty five stations or so if we were within 60 miles of a major city. Keep in mind that Spanish stations, Home-shopping, religious, and marketing stations also count. Normally we get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, MeTV, LAUGH, Escape, and some western movie station. Don't give up, and, by the way, welcome to the forum!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:01 AM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Great looking pic and HUGE smiles: PRICELESS! Enjoy your time. Spring is just around the corner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:42 AM   #10
DocP

Nice looking camper! Mind if I ask what you're towing it with and how it handled on the road?
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #11
Ksupaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
Nice looking camper! Mind if I ask what you're towing it with and how it handled on the road?
Thanks all!

At the risk of being flamed, i pulled it with a Suburban. And to answer the other question.....it pulled like crap (yes, obviously)!! Ha. Honestly, power wasn’t an issue at all and never has been pulling my boat with it. But the tail was sitting low and the sucker liked to whip. I drove 60 and that was all I wanted. If I don’t need service, it stays in a lot and drives 1.5 miles to campsites and back per weekend. It won’t travel much until the new TV is acquired. If I do need service, I will try to schedule it why my brother drives by it with the Super duty on his way to see me.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:34 AM   #12
DocP

Thanks for the info. I have the 2018 Cougar Half-Ton 32RLI on order and see that our weights and length are similar. I currently have the 2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with the 4.10 rear axle and Z71 package and was wondering what to expect. The truck, as equipped, can pull up to 13,000 pounds, but I'm anticipating a loaded camper weight of about 9,500 pounds and a lot of tongue weight, so I'll be curious to see how it handles. Again, thanks for the honest feedback.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:50 AM   #13
Ksupaul

I couldn’t imagine that truck not pulling it really well, especially with a weight distribution hitch.

When the time comes let me know how she does. As I mentioned, I will be looking for a new TV soon myself!