Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2017, 05:17 AM   #1
GregH.

Picked up our new Bullet Premier 24RKPR

On Saturday, my wife and I picked up our brand new Bullet Premier 24RKPR from the dealer.

I brought along a thorough pre-inspection checklist, a strong flashlight, and my tool box and went through the inspection checklist line-by-line. Our appointment was at 10:30, I got through the checklist at about 1:30 and after a few back and forths with a few fairly minor items, we drove it off the lot at 2:30.

Having owned a much older Lance truck camper for 6 years, I've become very familiar with all the various systems. On that old camper, everything broke at least once and I found that learned a lot by making the fixes myself. Having that knowledge going into this new camper was pretty handy.

To start, I have to say that I'm quite satisfied with the build quality of the new camper. I inspected as much of the frame and body as I could, it all looked solid. All seams were well caulked and all systems worked flawlessly. However, I did find one glitch; the forward gray water tank sensors were showing the take was full, even though it was empty. I can understand how these sensors can get fouled (more so the black tank) during normal use, but there was clearly a problem with this one since no foul water had ever entered the tank.

While at the dealer, we also noticed that the coat closet does not have a pole for hanging coats. The dealer went to inspect the other 24RKPR on the lot and it was missing there too. Seems like this is an oversight on these campers. I'll have to swing by the hardware store to pick one up.

Eager to leave, we got an IOU note on the gray tank sensor and will come back to get it fixed later.

Later, at home, we started to transfer items from the old camper to the new and found a few more 'flaws'. The biggest was no really obvious place to put utensils and cooking tools in the kitchen area. For now, they'll go in the drawers under the entertainment console. We also found that some storage spaces were really deep with no obvious way to keep things organized. We've determined that we need to add several pullout drawers. More stuff to get from the hardware store.

All-in-all, a very positive experience. I'm hoping that this holds through the full life of this camper.

Greg
GregH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
Tbos

Glad it went pretty well. Enjoy.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats on the new trailer and hope you have lots of happy travels ahead. Quite honestly, the issue with the drawers and storage should have been caught by you when just walking through. One of the first things we do is check drawer/cabinet/closet space so when you got home you aren't surprised.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
Leatherman

Hi Greg,

First, congrats on the new trailer!

I am also from Carroll (Westminster). The wife and I have ordered a 24RKPR.

I am curious how you are going to remedy some issues with the trailer. After looking at it at the dealer, we noticed several items of concern:

* There are no 110V outlets in the living area for power to laptops, etc. The only ones we can find are behind the TV and near the microwave above the sink. I emailed someone at the factory and they said it's the way they were designed. I told her that it would be embarassing if someone visited and I had to run an extension cord from the outlet above the sink to my table so I can charge my phone or run a laptop.

* No drawers for the utensils (as you have already pointed out). My wife has already come up with an idea to remedy this with a specific type of drawer that will fit where the sink is located.

* No towel, TP , etc. racks in the bathroom. I contacted the factory about this and they said "we stopped installing them and have left it up to the dealers to install because the buyers all wanted them in different locations". I have purchased what we need for these items and will just mount them myself.

* No coat rack (bar) in the coat closet. Its strange that the coat closet does not have a bar to hang them on (??) in the closet. You noticed this as well. Again, I will get a bar and hang it in the closet, this is no big deal

Yes, we ordered the trailer anyway. We love the layout, cost range and the build from what I could see at the dealer. I am pretty handy and can do what needs to be done even if I end up doing the electric outlets.

Please keep me up to date with what you end up doing yourself and the customizing you complete. I already have a RENOGY solar setup from my other trailer that I will integrate into the 24RKPR this Spring.

Thanks!

Bobby

I think we should hook up after we get both trailers and compare notes.
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:09 AM   #5
GregH.

I completely agree, we should have caught the drawer issue. We were so taken with the layout that we overlooked that.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:39 AM   #6
GregH.

Just curious, which RV dealer did you go through for your order? We purchased ours at the MD RV show through CHESACO RV.

I'm working the storage issues now with my wife. The space under the sink is awkward. I intend to build out a few slide-out shelving systems under there. I'm thinking of a narrow one for a spice/storage rack that pulls out, that'll go on the left side and another will go on top of the box that houses the hot water heater.

I'm adding a bar to the coat closet, hard to believe they didn't put that in. I stained it last night, should be dry by tonight. I'll probably add a wireless light to the coat closet to help see inside, it's just a big dark cavern now.

Under the coat closet are two deep, awkward spaces - places where stuff will get lost. I'm going to install sliding drawers in both of those too so that I can get to the stuff in the back easily and keep it organized/

There's space behind the TV, I haven't figured out what to do with that yet. I'm thinking of pulling out the cheezy sound bar and replacing it with something that has decent sound. I'll save this for down the road a bit I think.

And then there's the sofa side table. It's completely empty, a waste of good storage space. I'm thinking I'll change it so that there are hinges on the top so that I can store stuff like dog food in there.

In the bath, the vanity was too high for my wife to see herself in the mirror, I moved it down to a height where we both could use it. I didn't think to look for a towel rack or a TP holder, I guess I need to address those too.

Thanks for pointing out the 110 outlet issue. I'll probably just add one somewhere, I'll have to see where I can daisy chain off of.

Good luck with your camper!

Greg
Old 03-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
Tbos

GregH & Leatherman, I didn't realize/remember you two were from MD. I don't think there are too many of us in the forum. I just looked at the floor plan you have. It looks real nice. Once you get the little issues resolved you should enjoy it. With spring upon us it's time to put our TTs to good use. It's trip is next weekend for us. FYI for towel and TP racks we use an over the door hook set ups. The TP holder goes in the cabinet under the sink. Seems to work well and keeps it out of the way.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
Leatherman

Tbos, Someone else from Maryland! (where?) Thanks for the suggestion for the TP and towel racks. I think the wife has already picked out something she likes from HomeDepot. I am also going to replace the bathroom faucet. They put such a nice one in the kitchen but a rather low grade one in the bathroom. Just a normal practice I guess since my FR has the same thing in the bath.

Greg, we also got ours from Chesaco in Joppa. So far its been a good experience. I guess you got one of the ones that they had in stock. You got there first on the weekend of the show. We got there later on Sunday. Ours was ordered since they did not have any additional units in stock.

I noticed that the TV cabinet has two outlets. One in the top that the TV uses and a second one at the bottom of the cabinet. That one is going to be the best to tap off of and add one to the TV cabinet at the very bottom pointing towards the dining table. As far as an outlet near the couch, I am not sure how to rectify that other then to hit an outlet by the sink or directly from the converter.

Please keep me updated in what you complete on the trailer and I will do the same by posting them here.

Thanks!!
Old 03-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #9
Tbos

We currently hail from Lexington Park near the Bay and Patuxent River.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #10
BethH

Hi everyone,
We are picking up our 24rkpr tomorrow. Very excited to get out camping. We live in central Oregon, so no where near you guys! Would love to hear about your mods and will let you know of any we make.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BethH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:53 AM   #11
GregH.

Leatherman, so... we were told that Chesaco sold the one on the floor twice and they gave us the choice of the one from the RV show floor or the new one that they had ordered. We selected the new one directly from the factory and I verified it by checking the date of assembly. Either way, we would have been happy. Good luck with your delivery.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:20 AM   #12
GregH.

Hey Beth, good luck with your delivery!
Old 03-31-2017, 08:29 AM   #13
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethH View Post
Hi everyone,
We are picking up our 24rkpr tomorrow. Very excited to get out camping. We live in central Oregon, so no where near you guys! Would love to hear about your mods and will let you know of any we make.

Welcome to the forum from the other side of the country. Hope your pick up goes smoothly and you are able to enjoy it soon.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #14
Leatherman

Welcome Beth

Sure, no problem. I will post what we do here for others to view and critique. I am always looking for ways to improve the camper.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #15
Leatherman

Still no 24RKPR

Ok..so still no trailer. It was ordered on March 4th. Its now been 6 weeks and they are looking for it. The shipper has it [somewhere].

Anyway, its on the way and the dealer [should] have it by this Saturday. Not much time to do what I need by our first trip scheduled for the following Thursday in Harper's Ferry. And that's if I can get off work early on Monday to complete the PDI.

If I can't get off work, It may have to wait a couple of weeks. We will have to cancel our two trips scheduled as well. Bummer.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #16
BuxCamper

Oh my goodness we looked at that same camper at the show. We had mostly decided on the 248RKS right beside it and that's what we finally decided on. I didn't even think to check out the galley kitchen drawer space on yours.

Fit and finish are fine but like you no TP or towel bar in bathroom and lost space in the sofa side table. I plan on taking the front panel screws off the side table and using Velcro to hold that cover on with a pull knob that almost matches what's in the camper. But a flip top lid might work too.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #17
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post
Ok..so still no trailer. It was ordered on March 4th. Its now been 6 weeks and they are looking for it. The shipper has it [somewhere].

Anyway, its on the way and the dealer [should] have it by this Saturday. Not much time to do what I need by our first trip scheduled for the following Thursday in Harper's Ferry. And that's if I can get off work early on Monday to complete the PDI.

If I can't get off work, It may have to wait a couple of weeks. We will have to cancel our two trips scheduled as well. Bummer.

Leatherman,
If you are planning to go to the HF KOA be careful moving the TT around there. I understand there are some very tight corners there. HF is a beautiful place filled with history. Hope all goes well picking up your TT.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #18
Leatherman

You are correct, it is tight. I had a Palomino trailer the last time we were there which was only a 24' trailer. It moved around fine. We had a spot all the way round towards the "seasonal" trailers.

What got me more than anything was trying to navigate at night. I absolutely hate getting to a campsite that I have never been to at night.

Thanks for the advice...it is tight in many places.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:52 AM   #19
GregH.

@Leatherman: Good luck with your delivery; hopefully it will come in time. We're taking our maiden voyage tomorrow. It's all loaded and ready to go!

Old 04-13-2017, 06:44 AM   #20
BethH

Good luck with your delivery. We also take our maiden voyage tomorrow!!!

BethH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, bullet premier