Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2021, 08:28 AM   #1
bmcghee

Springdale Summerland 2600TB Wall Removal

When my wife and I first started looking for a camper, the only floor plan we had really like was just like the 2600TB except for one major thing. There was only a half wall between the couch and the foot of the bed in the one we liked the most.

Well when we found such a great deal on the 2600TB we couldn't pass it up. But after one time of using it, we could tell it felt cramped. So a few days ago I decided to fix that. About an hour and a half of work and that wall was gone. Only way you would ever know it was there is just a couple of screw holes.

What a difference it made, it took a camper that seemed a little cramped to feeling huge.

Now on the todo list is to make it so the couch can slide back about 2' when we are not sleeping, make part of the outside storage under the bunks inside storage to replace the cabinet space we lost, and to install my custom made central thermostat system for the non ducted ac and furnace. I will share more when I get these things done.

Happy Camping,
Brendan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201013_154348.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	31680   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210124_182226775.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	31681   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210124_202104113.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	31682  
bmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

That wall is not a "weight bearing wall" in the sense that it supports the roof, but I'd wonder if it is a "structural rigidity wall" in that it provides rigidity to prevent the trailer sidewalls from flexing laterally along the trailer frame rails. You may be OK with the removal, but you may also find that there is excess movement at the sidewall/roof seams and along the floor/sidewall joints.

I'd recommend watching closely, you may soon find leaks along the aluminum molding that covers the TPO roof and the sidewall.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:55 AM   #3
bmcghee

I had thought about that but from all my checking I don't think this will be the case. Where the wall fell in the roof structure was not underneath a ceiling joist nor did it fall on a stud in the sidewall. With the exception of the floor, all of the attachment points of this wall were not very structurally sound, but just in case this became an issue, I didn't damage any paneling or trim in the process in the chance that I would need to replace the wall. I do play to take it out for a test drive in a few weeks to see how it does before we go a long distance.

But you for sure pointed out my main concern with doing this modificaiton.
bmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:04 AM   #4
PLCGuru

Nice job! We have the same model and I will not be showing this to my DW

PLCGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #5
Weldon

Can we have an update?

Just wondering what you think about the mod now that it's been a month. We have the exact same camper, and it is impossible for the DW (who sleeps on the left side of the bed) to walk between the foot of the bed and the wall. She has to climb over my side to exit.

Did you have any leaks, or did anything separate? Do you regret doing the mod? Were you able to make up for the lost storage space after removing the cabinets?

We have a TV mounted on that wall in our bedroom, but would love to remove it to make more room.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:05 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
Just wondering what you think about the mod now that it's been a month. We have the exact same camper, and it is impossible for the DW (who sleeps on the left side of the bed) to walk between the foot of the bed and the wall. She has to climb over my side to exit.

Did you have any leaks, or did anything separate? Do you regret doing the mod? Were you able to make up for the lost storage space after removing the cabinets?

We have a TV mounted on that wall in our bedroom, but would love to remove it to make more room.
Just a tip Weldon... next time you are curious about the OP's following up, check to see when they were last on the site. It has been a month for this OP. Doubt you will see a follow up; it is always good to follow up if something you did went great or just went south.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
springdale