Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2023, 08:11 PM   #1
b1pig

Back into the campering thing again....

Today made it official.

Went and picked up our "new"-to-us camper. 2020 239ML. Pre back door. Means no friction hinges. Has the gas strut on the bottom of the door. Now we need a mattress. I was thinking about getting the Zinus 6". After putting our inflatable camping mattress in there, its ridiculously too tall. Not sure if the 6" will do it for us, or if we'd need an 8". Its sort of a $200 gamble. Wife has had some pretty serious back issues in the past and we're hoping to avoid future problems (ie: surgeries). If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be happy to have em.

Towed it home and went through it. Only found one issue so far which required a trip to the hardware store. I flushed all the winterizing out, and found the p-trap split open and leaking in the bathroom cabinet. $5 fix. So far, everything works like it's supposed to. Only found a couple of things that need fixing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	44122  
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 04:13 AM   #2
Max23

Congrats on the new unit. Have fun, sounds like you got a pretty well maintained unit.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 06:32 PM   #3
Bill-2020

Had a 2020 239ML (with rear door). Loved it. Great camper!

Word of caution, remove that furrion wing antenna on the roof and put wineguard 360+ over top of the hole left by the furrion, reconnect the wires to the factory wires and you're good (after sealing with Alpha self-leveling of course). That furrion antenna can come off when you least expect it exposing the ceiling to rain. There was a recall for taller TT's that had it\ and they replaced them with the 360 antenna instead (the 239ML didn't make that recall list).
Old 06-04-2023, 01:51 AM   #4
Weldon

Welcome from Suwanee, GA. We bought the 8" mattress in 2020 and love it. Of course it was only $150 back then. I have back issues and need a good mattress when camping or at home. It's heavy but I like ours. Wife does as well. Good luck yall.

Zinus 8 Inch Hybrid Green Tea... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WVNBMD2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 03:56 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

This is being discussed in another thread, particularly in relation to the Murphy bed setup and mattress thickness. You might gather some real-world info there.

Congratulations and welcome!

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=48873
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:38 AM   #6
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:02 AM   #7
jxnbbl

congratulations on the purchase. Safe travels and welcome from NH
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:08 PM   #8
Gary R.

Howdy and welcome!

Sounds and looks like you picked up a very nice TT!

Enjoy and take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:04 PM   #9
b1pig

Wife had us take it to a local place on Saturday. Had the growing odor from the Dometic 300... Looks like I'll be taking it apart tomorrow and fixing it, too.

Still need to retighten the supply hose from the valve to the spray/faucet on the kitchen sink. It was loose enough to leak under higher pressure, but not on the pump.

Ordered the 6" Zinus. First impression is very good. Flat. Firm. Good support I think. We will be going "somewhere" next week while the kids are at a camp for 3 or 4 days. I'll give another update after we spend a few nights on it.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:41 AM   #10
dutchmensport

Congrats on getting your new Passport! Now the REAL fun begins! Yea!

About that mattress. I have finally learned (and I'm now 68 years old) to just go ahead and get a "worthy" mattress for the camper the first time! Rather than spending less and getting a "lesser" mattress that will not hold up, and then replacing again for a little beefier one and going through this step-up, step-up, step-up process, just bite the bullet the first time and get a mattress that doesn't need to be replaced in a year or two.

It may cost you more upfront, but replacing over and over again will cost you more in the long run.

Any brand of mattress will work, provided it fits the space in your camper. We used Serta mattresses in our campers for a lot of years. We had the same firmness as the Serta's in our house. This worked very, very well for us.... until one day my son (who lives with us) purchased a "Helix" mattress. OH MY! When replacement time came (actually a new camper, the one in my signature below) came around and 1 year later the factory mattress died completely, we bit the bullet, paid the price and got a Helix for the camper. Yea, they cost a fortune! But our backs have appreciated it ever since!

(we live in the camper more than we do in the house, so a good mattress is well worth it.)

That's my tip. Don't cheap out on a mattress simply because its in your camper and you feel you may not get good use out of it. On the contrary. A couple nights on a lousy mattress can cause back problems for months. It's simply not worth it! So, get a good one the first time and then you'll truly be living well.

If you are questioning what mattress to get, then get the same one you have in your house, if that mattress works well for you! It's just that simple!

Good luck, enjoy! Congrats! and Happy Camping!
Old 06-15-2023, 07:59 AM   #11
faturner

We found a SleepNumber mattress at an estate sale that fits. Love it!
faturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 09:18 AM   #12
Tp56ihs

I have a 2020 239ML with the back door. Works great for us. The toilet was terrible and was leaking into the cavity. I put a natureshead in.
Tp56ihs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 11:07 AM   #13
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
Today made it official.

Went and picked up our "new"-to-us camper. 2020 239ML. Pre back door. Means no friction hinges. Has the gas strut on the bottom of the door. Now we need a mattress. I was thinking about getting the Zinus 6". After putting our inflatable camping mattress in there, its ridiculously too tall. Not sure if the 6" will do it for us, or if we'd need an 8". Its sort of a $200 gamble. Wife has had some pretty serious back issues in the past and we're hoping to avoid future problems (ie: surgeries). If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be happy to have em.

Towed it home and went through it. Only found one issue so far which required a trip to the hardware store. I flushed all the winterizing out, and found the p-trap split open and leaking in the bathroom cabinet. $5 fix. So far, everything works like it's supposed to. Only found a couple of things that need fixing.
Zinus is great. I’d go as thick as you can, 8” at least, but more is better. 12” or more will give you much better sleep.
The thicker the more support you get.
They have RV sizes and regular sizes.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote