Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2023, 11:30 AM   #21
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
Without going into all of the details, my 2022 Cougar 25RDS spent 43% of my first year of ownership in my worthless dealers shop, or more correctly on the lot. Now I am sitting in a campground 5.5 hrs from home with a slideout that has a seriously frayed cable at two connection points. I discovered it when doing a walkaround looking for sealant gaps on the exterior. With the slide out, I wondered if the 2 strands (of 6) still connected would let me bring in the sofa slide and get home. I still have three days left on my reservation. Well, after calling Keystone to ask some questions, I decided that it would break today or Tuesday when packing up to go home. I determined that I needed to know now if it was going to work. It came in OK, and I secured it in the closed position in case the cable broke traveling home. Now to fix the problem when I get home. My questions are: can I replace the cable myself, where do I get the correct cable kit, and will my "platinum" extended warranty cover the repairs if I have a Mobile RV tech repair it. There is no way in hell I am going back to my purchasing dealer, and I doubt if another Keystone approved dealer can get it in for repairs. What would anyone out there suggest? I am open to suggestions, because I'm about to give up on this thing. I like my Cougar, but am tired of continual problems having to be addressed. I have done other work and added modifications to make it better, but it gets a little tiresome. Suggestions?
Your extended/service plan should cover the cost. It is not difficult to do it yourself. After you replace the cables make sure your anchor brackets are mounted so that your cables extend and retract level, with no kinks, or misalignment. If the brackets are mounted so that the cables go In and out with no bends, your cables should last a long time. I always have a spare cable on board just in case. Plenty of videos on u-tube to show you how to do it. A second pair of hands makes it even easier. A good dealer with a good service department makes all the difference in the world. Other than warranty repairs, you might shop for another dealer with a good service department.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote