Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2023, 06:25 AM   #1
Stircrazy

round spots popping off gel coat

so, I have a 2016 330rbk and the last 3 years I have been having an issue of little round spots of gel coat popping off the fiberglass walls. It started on the door for the outdoor kitchen, and I figured I may have gotten something on it from a tree or what not causing this, but it is doing it in a couple other places now. Has anyone else experienced this, I can't find much on the internet aside from one post saying there was an issue with manufacturing the walls for a couple of years resulting in too much moisture in the fiberglass.

all I can think of to do right now is figure out what the paint color code is and get some touch up paint to fill in the marks when they pop off.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:06 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

This is just my "theory" and I can't prove it to be true, but I suspect the reason why little "chips" of the FILON surface break away is caused by tiny air bubbles in the FILON surface during manufacturing. In cold weather climates, during the winter, those "air pockets" fill with condensation, the water freezes, expands and puts pressure on the air bubble, making it enlarge. Next wet evening, more condensation fills the bubble and the process repeats itself, over and over until the surface breaks away, leaving a "pock mark on the FILON skin"....

I suspect that iron in the water is the cause of the "rusty discoloration" seen in many of the "pock marks"...

It may help to keep a good wax coating (seals the air pockets) but just as likely, it may not ?????

If you have a door or a hatch cover that's the same color as the FILON skin, most auto paint supply stores can "color match" a touchup kit.

I think, for my, I'd look at using a plastic putty knife and "smearing" some sanding sealer/spackling compound in the pockets before touching up the paint. I don't know if that really helps or not, but if there is a "air pocket behind the chip" I'd want to try to fill it rather than just paint over it..... Might not help much, but preventing that condensation from pooling again would be my objective.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 04:25 AM   #3
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This is just my "theory" and I can't prove it to be true, but I suspect the reason why little "chips" of the FILON surface break away is caused by tiny air bubbles in the FILON surface during manufacturing. In cold weather climates, during the winter, those "air pockets" fill with condensation, the water freezes, expands and puts pressure on the air bubble, making it enlarge. Next wet evening, more condensation fills the bubble and the process repeats itself, over and over until the surface breaks away, leaving a "pock mark on the FILON skin"....

I suspect that iron in the water is the cause of the "rusty discoloration" seen in many of the "pock marks"...

It may help to keep a good wax coating (seals the air pockets) but just as likely, it may not ?????

If you have a door or a hatch cover that's the same color as the FILON skin, most auto paint supply stores can "color match" a touchup kit.

I think, for my, I'd look at using a plastic putty knife and "smearing" some sanding sealer/spackling compound in the pockets before touching up the paint. I don't know if that really helps or not, but if there is a "air pocket behind the chip" I'd want to try to fill it rather than just paint over it..... Might not help much, but preventing that condensation from pooling again would be my objective.
Your theory is pretty close to what I have found. Whether it be air bubbles or moisture evaporating and leaving air pockets, the result is the same.

Now that you mention taking a door in, I looked, and the propane door is small and the same color. thanks I'll see how hard that is to take off.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:17 AM   #4
Spring

I had the same problem on a 2014 Raptor 332. I tried gorilla epoxy putty stick on some spots and it worked OK but the best repair was with 3M marine 4000 uv for the larger areas affected with spot repair
Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:03 AM   #5
SargeW

What you describe is also possible if someone got too close to the RV while using a pressure washer on it. The sides of these RV's have a skin that is not that thick, and usually not coated very well either. The high pressure can force moisture into the skin, and it can reside there for quite a while before starting to show up.

It could have been over a series of cleanings, or one hard one. The damage can also be cumulative over a period of time, like not having a surge guard on a RV to protect from electrical spikes and low voltage. You don't know it when it happens, but on day there is a failure and you are left to figure out what happened.

I rarely let anyone pressure wash the rig, and if I have to, I will stand out with them and ensure that they don't get any closer than about 3' to the surface. This may not be your issue, but it is common. Even among big motorhomes that usually have much thicker exterior skin and clear coat.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:16 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Make sure you prep the surface no matter the material you use for the repair. Small areas can be sanded using a " sanding pen". They are inexpensive and available at Home Depot, Amazon, Ebay, etc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 01:04 PM   #7
dutchmensport

Maybe you get a box of stick-on stars, you know, like you'd use on a poster board for giving kids "stars" for doing their chores or something? After attaching a few directly over the top of those spots, if anyone asks about them, you can tell them you are a star gazer and you are attaching stars to the side of your camper to look like different constellations in the night sky! Well, my idea my be truly "out of this world", but.... it does provide an alternative fix to hide those bubbles!
Old 06-04-2023, 04:35 AM   #8
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring View Post
I had the same problem on a 2014 Raptor 332. I tried gorilla epoxy putty stick on some spots and it worked OK but the best repair was with 3M marine 4000 uv for the larger areas affected with spot repair
ok I must admit I am a little confused. With mine all it is, is a flat disk of gelcoat flaking off, so if I were to use a color match it would fill the real thin layer. what are you using an adhesive sealant for exactly?