Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2023, 04:34 PM   #1
Fergda

Step lights not working

I have a 2012 Keystone Outback 250RS that we bought used a couple of years ago. The amber step lights at each entry door no longer work. The bulbs are good. Does anyone know what switch turns them on? How they are wired, like to the porch light switch? Any advice on how to get them working again would be appreciated. I’m brand new to the forum, today! I don’t remember when the lights stopped working or what switch used to turn them on.
Fergda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 03:37 AM   #2
spicercars

I would think they would turn on with the porch light switch. Maybe someone else with that model will chime in. Welcome from northern MN.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:42 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

...Not the same unit but in our unit there's 4 rocker switches as you come in the front door. They are interior lights, porch light, scare light, and step lights. First thing I did was label them with a label maker as they were not identified from the factory.

...I'd turn on all switches, note what's on and turn off 1 at a time and note what turns off. If on switch appears to "do nothing" then pull that switch and check for voltage on both terminals. If no voltage is present on either connection work upstream to find out why.

.....if you identify the switch and it has power but no power at the light then first look at the ground. My step lights are just amber lense clearance lights. Those fixtures with incandescent bulbs are notorious for corrosion. A green discoloration on the bulb socket is typical. I switched all my exterior lights to led and haven't had an issue with corrosion.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 11:34 AM   #4
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergda View Post
I have a 2012 Keystone Outback 250RS that we bought used a couple of years ago. The amber step lights at each entry door no longer work. The bulbs are good. Does anyone know what switch turns them on? How they are wired, like to the porch light switch? Any advice on how to get them working again would be appreciated. I’m brand new to the forum, today! I don’t remember when the lights stopped working or what switch used to turn them on.
My 2018 Outback has a 15 amp fuse for exterior step lights.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:26 PM   #5
Fergda

Thanks for the replies! I checked all of the 15 amp fuses, they were all good. I did a continuity test on the incandescent bulbs, the bulbs are good. Did not notice any corrosion on the bulbs or in the sockets. Both of my step lights are just like an amber clearance light too. I have 4 rocker switches just inside the front door to your left. They are labeled Porch, Flood, Flood and Ceiling. I have a flood light on each side of the camper. I’ll need to start doing voltage checks, I’m assuming the step lights are to come on with the porch light. So I can see if there’s a wire at the porch light that goes down to the first step light. We’re camping this coming week, so maybe I can do some troubleshooting while camping.
Fergda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 04:39 PM   #6
bobbecky

Our doorside flood light switch also turns on the step light as well as another light at the fifth wheel pin box.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights