Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2023, 10:13 PM   #1
locomech

Blessing and Curse...

I was gifted a rear view camera which is a blessing, I guess . The curse is that I have to install it on my camper that is not prewired. My concern is mounting the camera under the middle marker light. The filon panel in the center does not feel like it has anything solid to screw into. Can the camera be mounted about 6" to the right of center closer to the rear window? It feels a little more solid in that area, and I don't want to find out that the camera should have been mounted in the center while viewing the monitor.

The DW thinks that the camera will make life easier when I'm backing into our driveway, as I can use all the help I can get .

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:14 AM   #2
drrelli

Centering the camera is mostly cosmetic, as long as you remember that it is set off to one side. Depending on your manufacturer, you may be able to adjust any overlaid parking lines that show (I own a Haloview and can shift those side to side).

Not sure about your options to screw into the wall material itself. I defer that to those with more experience!
Old 05-20-2023, 09:10 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If you look carefully, chances are 50/50 that your tail lights on the trailer are not "mounted to anything structural"... They may well be "mounted to the FILON and nothing else"....

Most rear view cameras weigh less than 5 or 6 ounces, can easily be supported with 2 or 4 (depending on mount style) screws into the FILON and BUTYL putty tape (which acts as an adhesive behind the mount).

As said, location is largely "cosmetic" but if you get too far off center, it changes the "perspective on the monitor that's 40' ahead of the camera"....

With today's wireless camera systems, there's really no "structural need to secure to the trailer frame"....

Oh, and don't consider mounting your camera above the clearance lights, if you do, the glare when the lights are turned on will "drown out the video" from the "night vision camera function"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 08:31 PM   #4
locomech

I installed the camera today under the center marker light. I used the butyl tape and two #8x3/4" stainless steel screws for the mounting.

While I was putting my tools away I noticed my pop riveter hanging on the tool rack and was wondering if maybe using a couple of quarter inch rivets would have been a better way of securing the camera bracket. Just a thought in hindsight.

I'd like to thank both of you drrelli, and JRTJH for the advice. The camera works as expected, so I guess that's a blessing. Now I have to find a place in the truck to mount the monitor. I know, I'll have the DW hold it in her lap for me, that'll be the curse

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 04:58 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Consider mounting the monitor on the face of the rear view mirror in your truck. That mirror serves little purpose when the trailer is connected as you can't see beyond the trailer nose.

I used two strips of Velcro on the back of the mirror (look first, some have sensors for automatic dimming, etc on the mirror) and then put two Velcro strips on the back of the monitor. Now, all I have to do is hold the monitor in place, run the Velcro around the mirror and the monitor hangs from an otherwise "limited use object" on the windshield.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote