Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2023, 09:23 AM   #1
Skillet173

Last solar question I promise

Okay solar Gurus, I leave my wallet to you.

I've been researching and have gotten to the point that I just get a headache when I think of RV solar. I'm looking for a good combination of panel/controller/etc.. Not looking to break the bank but a little overkill is kind of how I seem to go. I'm guess/thinking 400watts of panels will be sufficient but got a headache just typing that.

Looking for someone to just tell me what I need. And if you have a good source for purchase that would be appreciated as well. I'm sure this post will open a can of worms but wth, it's a forum.

What I have:
2021 Fuzion 421 with solar prep, 2k inverter(I think), residential fridge. Onboard 5500w generator. 3 grp 27 deep cycle batteries. When they expire will likely go to 2- 6V batteries.

What I want to do:
Install solar to allow me less usage of generator. Not looking to be totally solar self sufficient or run AC, just a little more quiet at the track and less hours on the genny.

Right now I can get by running the generator in the morning for about an hour (to make coffee), and about an hour or two in the evening and keep the InCommand reading over 12.0volts. I know, likely not accurate but right now all I have. Obviously if the AC is running the generator is also, but last year I didn't use AC that much.

What I am thinking
2-200w panels (brand???)
1-Victron 30A mppt controller
1-remote display, or blue tooth (brand???)

So what say you? Build me a system that will integrate seamlessly with whatever port I have on roof and I can install myself.

Thanks in advance!
Charlie

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:32 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet173 View Post

I've been researching and have gotten to the point that I just get a headache when I think of RV solar. I'm looking for a good combination of panel/controller/etc.. Not looking to break the bank but a little overkill is kind of how I seem to go. I'm guess/thinking 400watts of panels will be sufficient but got a headache just typing that.

Looking for someone to just tell me what I need. And if you have a good source for purchase that would be appreciated as well. I'm sure this post will open a can of worms but wth, it's a forum.

What I have:
2021 Fuzion 421 with solar prep, 2k inverter(I think), residential fridge. Onboard 5500w generator. 3 grp 27 deep cycle batteries. When they expire will likely go to 2- 6V batteries.

What I want to do:
Install solar to allow me less usage of generator. Not looking to be totally solar self sufficient or run AC, just a little more quiet at the track and less hours on the genny.

Right now I can get by running the generator in the morning for about an hour (to make coffee), and about an hour or two in the evening and keep the InCommand reading over 12.0volts. I know, likely not accurate but right now all I have. Obviously if the AC is running the generator is also, but last year I didn't use AC that much.

What I am thinking
2-200w panels (brand???)

So what say you? Build me a system that will integrate seamlessly with whatever port I have on roof and I can install myself.

Thanks in advance!
Charlie

that’s a tall order imo….who would want to be responsible for your satisfaction with the system? have you tried calling renogy or gopower?
they would be more inclined to help you and stand behind the recommendation…someone may chime in but i wouldn’t want the responsibility if that was my area of expertise unless i had a financial interest and that was my business.
good luck though

unless you signed a waiver of liability lol it’s hard to advise someone in areas that require a particular expertise

it’s like asking ..tell me what car to buy to make me happy
Old 03-03-2023, 09:35 AM   #3
Essvar

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=48453

see this thread for my install, seems to be pretty much exactly what you are looking to do.

I went with a 300Watt Jaboni on the roof because that's the brand my roof port was pre-wired for.

Verify 100% what inverter you do have, if its 2000W with auto transfer switch you should be fine for what you are looking to achieve.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:42 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

OP,

Keep in mind that you live in New York and will have an ENTIRELY different "solar profile" due to your location and, say someone in Arizona... So, what works for the guy in the desert in July won't work the same for you, in New York in the fall......

I'd agree with Brian. Give either Renogy or another solar power distributor a call and see what they recommend. I'd suspect their first question will be, "Where are you planning to locate this system?" ....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:42 AM   #5
Skillet173

@jasin1
Yes. I’m not looking to hold someone accountable for providing opinion/information, trying to verify if my research is leading me the right direction.

@Essvar
I’ve read your thread 100 times, and appreciate the information in it, but you lost me on all the back feed information. Refresh my memory, did you just use their panel or all of their products?

Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:45 AM   #6
Essvar

Quote:
@jasin1
@Essvar
I’ve read your thread 100 times, and appreciate the information in it, but you lost me on all the back feed information. Refresh my memory, did you just use their panel or all of their products?

If you aren't trying to "add receptacles" to the original solar ready wiring you can completely ignore the back feed stuff. That all stems from my desire to have my outdoor fridge and TV run off the inverter when they were not pre-wired that way from Keystone.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 02:30 PM   #7
Skillet173

Are Renogy products good quality? Maybe I should’ve just asked that question

Old 03-03-2023, 02:41 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
i have a Renogy 200 watt suitcase panel and it seems well built
Old 03-03-2023, 03:23 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Yes they are!!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 12:17 PM   #10
Steve/

I am guessing but ice box will take 600 Watt to run. It will run a 1/3 of the time. so 200 watt of power needed when the sun is out. figure 20% lost to charge the battery. so that means 240 watt of solar. them then figure only 12 hours of sun so 24 hours would be 480 watts of solar panels at least. Now using 200 watt of power at night, I would say you need more battery, right now you have 300 watt of power if you use every bit of power in the battery, but you should only take about 50 % so you need at least another battery, if not 2.
would get this package https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Monocrys...ords=hqst&th=1
an mount on roof.
you are looking at a lot of weight in batteries so maybe Lithium batteries needed.
Old 03-04-2023, 08:27 PM   #11
fjr vfr

Check out;

https://diysolarforum.com/
Will Prowse is the guy in the know. In his book he explains it all.

https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Solar-...70151974&psc=1

One word of advise I'll give, plan for the possibility you'll want more in the future. I would definitely go with a 40A charge controller. The cost difference between that and the 30A is not great and if you end up expanding with more panels at some time in the future you won't have to buy a new one. Most people end up expanding their system at some point. Also make sure your feed wires down from the panels to the charge controller are heavy enough for additional panels. Again only a small amount more and you'll be ready if you ever do ad panels.
Have Fun
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 08:36 PM   #12
fjr vfr

One other thing to remember, as a rule of thumb, if you need 200 watts of solar get 400. Typically plan on 50% from your solar panels. Of course this varies according to conditions. It's unrealistic planning for maximum output...like virtually never. Give yourself a buffer.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:17 PM   #13
mikec557

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Charlie
Lots of opinions, and really there is no "right" answer. So I'm just going to give you my short answer.

Victron 30a mppt solar charge controller with built-in Bluetooth. Now you don't need a remote display because your cellphone is the display. Bluetooth connection.

Victron BMS-712 Battery monitor with Bluetooth. It will sync with the Victron solar charge controller and it too will display on your cellphone. They have another Bluetooth bms too.

If affordable, switch to two+ 100ah lithium batteries.

Solar panels tend to be physical size vs roof real-estate related. I'd love to have had 400 watts but always ended up with 300-320 watts.

Just my two cents, LOL.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:47 AM   #14
Hugo-H

hi, the system I will install on my Premier 31, is as follows:
-> lithiumPO4 battery 24 V - 150 Ah (you read correct: 24V !)
-> solar panel: most of today panels are good enough, but if you have 400 - 500 W, that needs to be enough
-> mppt solar / wind controller (combined one) where I will connect also a windmill when we will be on a place (something easy and quick to install), windmill also 24 V
-> inverter: I have bought secondhand, an Xantres 1800 (from ex US Army in the Netherlands), it works perfect and is very reliable... Xantrex works on 24 V, AC 120V
-> auto transfer switch for when I have shorepower available

...I am building this system now in my garage for further testing, in order to be sure if small details needs adjustments...
I don't have (yet) a small generator, but with this solar / windmill system, I should have enough power to do most common things during the day (and night)
I have still never read that people want to install a 24 V solar system...but it has its advantages...
I hope you get an idea of my intentions...
As far as concerning the solarpanels: I will have one (or 2) panels not mounted on the trailer, but free standing, so I can place it wherever the sun is shining without the trailer standing in the sun, but in the shadow
Old 03-09-2023, 08:55 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo-H View Post
hi, the system I will install on my Premier 31, is as follows:
-> lithiumPO4 battery 24 V - 150 Ah (you read correct: 24V !)
-> solar panel: most of today panels are good enough, but if you have 400 - 500 W, that needs to be enough
-> mppt solar / wind controller (combined one) where I will connect also a windmill when we will be on a place (something easy and quick to install), windmill also 24 V
-> inverter: I have bought secondhand, an Xantres 1800 (from ex US Army in the Netherlands), it works perfect and is very reliable... Xantrex works on 24 V, AC 120V
-> auto transfer switch for when I have shorepower available

...I am building this system now in my garage for further testing, in order to be sure if small details needs adjustments...
I don't have (yet) a small generator, but with this solar / windmill system, I should have enough power to do most common things during the day (and night)
I have still never read that people want to install a 24 V solar system...but it has its advantages...
I hope you get an idea of my intentions...
As far as concerning the solarpanels: I will have one (or 2) panels not mounted on the trailer, but free standing, so I can place it wherever the sun is shining without the trailer standing in the sun, but in the shadow
I believe your trailer has a 12 VDC furnace fan, a 12 VDC refrigerator and water heater control board and a 12 VDC converter/charger. How do you intend to interface your 24 VDC solar system with the existing 12 VDC trailer system ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:15 AM   #16
Hugo-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I believe your trailer has a 12 VDC furnace fan, a 12 VDC refrigerator and water heater control board and a 12 VDC converter/charger. How do you intend to interface your 24 VDC solar system with the existing 12 VDC trailer system ?????

Everything will be working on AC, instead of 12V... 12V trailer battery will be kept charged to, since that is done by the convertor / battery charger of the trailer.... my refrigerator works on propane and has automatic switch too for AC...
So, my whole 12V will still be working, but I chose to have a 24V solar installation...
It's a different view to the working of the whole trailer...
Old 03-10-2023, 08:39 PM   #17
SR71 Jet Mech

[QUOTE=Skillet173;530006]Okay solar Gurus, I leave my wallet to you.

What I have:

What I want to do:

What I am thinking
2-200w panels (brand???)

Thanks in advance!
Charlie[/QUOTE

Go to YouTube, check out,
1. RV with Tito
2 Will prowse
3. EXPLORISTS life

There are many others too but these will get you started
SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 08:19 AM   #18
Stircrazy

one thing I recomend is not getting shohorned into a spicif side of panels for your search. I have three 180 watt panels on my 5th wheel and four 6V batteries and I am pretty much self suficent unless I am running the furnace 24/7, or the bar fridge. but for summer camping I can use the inverter and make coffee with the kurieg in the morning and evening, let the kids watch a movie if its ugly outside and minimal microwave use.

another thing I recomend is making some carboard cut outs of the size of panels you are interested in and move them one your roof to see how they will fit. that way you can tell how big you can go before you start buying.

I would recomend the bigger the better and go with 24V panels and if you an split cell. on my truck camper I have one 325watt 24V split cell panel by canadian solar which I just started looking at smaller solar companies and asked pricing till I found one that was good. from what I have seen in the US pricing is way less than up in Canada and I only spent 200 on my panel 3 or 4 years ago. Im sure someone in the US will know of good places to get panels from down there.

I would also aim for being generatore free for your majority of camping and just have it for an emergency back up. you could easily do that with two 350 watt panels (don't go renogy for the panels they are over priced as they are just another brand with renogys sticker on them and there mark up) but I do use renogys MPPT controler and I love it. other than that you need to set your battery game. if you decide to go LFP you may need to change your converter section, but even if you stay with wet batteries when you buy your MPPT make sure it has a proper LFP setting for the future.

so I guess my recomendationg would be about 600 to 700 watts of solar (24V panels) a good MPPT charge controler.. I like renogy and I would even be tempted to go a little bigger than I need here by getting the 60amp rover, little more than the 30 and 40amp versions but is capable of a 48v input which means you can run two 24V panels in series and keep your wire size to the roof smaller. and finaly four 6V batteries. Oh and if you don't have an inverter then one of thoes. this should make you almost self suficient depending on your power use habits and type of camping you do.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 09:51 AM   #19
tomd

Solar for RV input from engineer...

1) Yes is short answer, good research you want MPPT controller, and Victron is wonderful in my experience, since 2019 works great. You need the bluetooth model, otherwise you may be frustrated. I have diagrams, photos if you want that.

2) I didn't see the shunt in your message, I can't recall if already included in Victron system but you need to mount that (for measurements) and a switch to turn off solar power and fuse is also needed. Not expensive.

How many panels/power needed is your call, you need to figure out how much you use in 24 hrs, most comes out of battery; then plan to recharge some of that each day. Every day it will charge up below 'full' unless you have massive solar arrays.

Solar wattages are just a 'rating'. 200 watts means maximum twice 100Watts in direct sunny day, not ALL day, only at noonish time. With 200 watts I can dry camp about 2 days, heater fan and too many lights will be biggest power draw. Refridge, coffee, heat is propane for my case.
Yes it's worth it - 200 to 400 watts will mean battery always healthy, especially in storage with not external power.

re: your message:
What I am thinking
2-200w panels (brand???)

Thanks in advance!
Charlie[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar etc Screenshot 2023-03-11 093103.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	43250  
Old 03-13-2023, 12:30 PM   #20
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo-H View Post
Everything will be working on AC, instead of 12V... 12V trailer battery will be kept charged to, since that is done by the convertor / battery charger of the trailer.... my refrigerator works on propane and has automatic switch too for AC...
So, my whole 12V will still be working, but I chose to have a 24V solar installation...
It's a different view to the working of the whole trailer...
Reply!
The solar voltages have nothing to do with 12v system, solar charges the battery, and controller regulates voltage and current to charge the battery effectively.
12vsource remains to be your battery. If you use inverter , to make110 v then you will lose power during conversion, minimize inverting loads like tv etc.

Tags
solar