Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2023, 06:56 AM   #1
Sonders

exterior paneling flexing in wind

Hello all. Took our new to us 2018 Keystone Hideout 28BHS on it's maiden voyage this past weekend. Trip went great. Only thing I noticed was while traveling to and from campground on highway going 55 mph that a side panel on both sides towards the front was bulging out some in the wind. I don't have a very good side picture of the camper currently but here is the best I could come up with. Panel I'm talking about is circled in picture, it is doing it on both sides. Should I be concerned? I don't want side panels to peel back while driving down the road. Previous camper had fiberglass exterior so not familiar with the aluminum sided campers just yet. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	43497  
Old 04-11-2023, 11:33 AM   #2
Sonders

did a little Youtube searching and it appears the side panels are stapled from factory and the panels tend to pull through the staples. Looks like I need to remove the front edge trim pieces and screw the panels down.

What do I need to reseal the front edge trim pieces once I start putting everything back together? Butyl tape? Proflex? Or both maybe??
Old 04-11-2023, 11:40 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

You will have to remove the trim insert to get to the screws holding the corner molding on. Odds are it’s cheap plastic and will probably split. Get some vinyl 1” replacement.

Factory probably used putty tape, it tends to dry out so use butyl tape and then seal the edges with any RV rated clear sealant.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 12:32 PM   #4
Medic455

Ive had the same issue with my Springdale 260BH since I purchased it. First trip out it did actually separate and they "repaired" it. Now I have the side doing the same thing below that and a huge *** bubble in my roof that they refuse to cover under warranty. Keep an eye on your roof, that air has to go someplace.
Medic455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 11:43 AM   #5
Sonders

thanks guys, I'll have to pull the front trim pieces off and screw the panels down sometime in the next few weeks when I get some spare time. Our next trip isn't until Memorial day weekend, so have a little bit of time.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:35 AM   #6
Sonders

got started on this project over the weekend. I did the drivers side first as it seemed to be the worst and had the issue with the emergency exit window that had blown open on previous owner while traveling (another thread on emergency exit window). I have a feeling the wind getting behind the siding is what led to the window blowing up while they were traveling. Anyways, I pulled the front corner trim piece off drivers side, which wasn't bad to do once I finally was able to get my fingers under the bottom edge and get it started. I removed the staples from leading edge of the side panels which a lot of them were about to fall out anyways. I peeled back 4 or 5 panels all the way back to the window and put a screw in at every wall stud. I also put a screw in at the leading edge as I put the panels back in place. Ran into issue where some of the panels creased while I had them peeled back, mainly around the window area. I didn't really see a way around that unfortunately. I put a strip of new buttyle tape on the leading edge of side panels and the edge of front cap, then screwed the trim piece back down. I guess the 2 strips of buttyle tape was too much as it squeezed out a lot. I tried to form it into the ribs of the siding and remove access tape, but it still doesn't look super great. It's black tape though, so atleast it somewhat blends in to the trim piece. I'm going to wait on the passenger side until after our next trip over Memorial Day weekend to see how the drivers side does.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to peel back the siding panels without creasing them?
Old 05-08-2023, 04:41 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

You have to pull down and it has to be the entire panel. It’s a PITA, but if you don’t do it that way you can just about guarantee you will crease it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:24 AM   #8
Sonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You have to pull down and it has to be the entire panel. It’s a PITA, but if you don’t do it that way you can just about guarantee you will crease it.

2 of the panels end at the window frame. One of them was the worst to crease. I'll have to get a picture this evening. Not really sure how I could have pulled down the entire panel with the window frame in the way.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:27 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Butyl tape is usually pretty thick, are you saying you placed 2 strips of it, a new strip on the old one or ?? When I've applied it it does usually squish out some. I just take a plastic scraper and cut the excess off and it usually looks pretty good. I've tried to just smush it around a bit before but it didn't work out too well for me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 06:30 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

We remove windows, doors, and trim as needed.

Old 05-08-2023, 06:54 AM   #11
Sonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Butyl tape is usually pretty thick, are you saying you placed 2 strips of it, a new strip on the old one or ?? When I've applied it it does usually squish out some. I just take a plastic scraper and cut the excess off and it usually looks pretty good. I've tried to just smush it around a bit before but it didn't work out too well for me.
I removed the old butyl first, then stuck a strip running down the front nose at edge, and one down the side so they formed a corner. The roll I bought wasn't as wide as the old stuff. Hope that makes sense. I didn't stop to take any pictures of the process.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:55 AM   #12
Sonders

Quote:
We remove windows, doors, and trim as needed.
What's involved with removing the window frame in case I have to redo it?
Old 05-08-2023, 07:06 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

You may have to remove the shades/valance.

The window is held in by the screws in the interior ring. Once all the screws are out you can remove the window. New sealant ( we use Frost King foam seal) and then re install the ring. We put in the corner screws first.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:54 AM   #14
Sonders

Quote:
You may have to remove the shades/valance.

The window is held in by the screws in the interior ring. Once all the screws are out you can remove the window. New sealant ( we use Frost King foam seal) and then re install the ring. We put in the corner screws first.
That doesn't sound terrible. I may go that route when I do the other side. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:04 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

It isn’t. Should have a helper hold the window on the outside.

Old 05-09-2023, 04:12 AM   #16
Sonders

here is the side I did this past weekend. You can see the creases, big one beside the window and 2 smaller ones right above it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper side.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	43813  
Old 05-09-2023, 08:39 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonders View Post
here is the side I did this past weekend. You can see the creases, big one beside the window and 2 smaller ones right above it.
One positive note about that crease, it's not on the door side so you see it every time you enter the trailer.
Years ago living in the Texas panhandle we had an aluminum sided travel that a giant tumble weed stalk end hit the side putting a bigger dent than that.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:05 AM   #18
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
One positive note about that crease, it's not on the door side so you see it every time you enter the trailer.
Years ago living in the Texas panhandle we had an aluminum sided travel that a giant tumble weed stalk end hit the side putting a bigger dent than that.
I took advantage of a dent on my enclosed utility trailer that acquired a nice dent after trimming a neighbors tree that hit my trailer. I needed to install vents because the heat started flaking the ceiling paint off. So I installed 2 exterior vents, and one perfectly covered the dent. Now I can smile instead of grinning in anger.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:16 AM   #19
Sonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
this is true, but it's still going to bug the hell out of me. I guess that was the practice side, eventually I'll do the other side and hopefully it will go better.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:12 AM   #20
Sonders

the butyl tape had broke loose in a few spots around the front leading edge of the window frame when I had the side panels pulled out. After I had the panels screwed in place I took some Geocel Proflex and ran a bead around the top edge and both sides of the window frame. Was that a good idea or should I have used something else? After some other conversations on here, I know I REALLY should have pulled the whole window frame out and fixed the panels, then installed the window with new butyl tape. Too late now though. If the Geocel was not a good idea, then I'll have to mess with removing window later this summer when we have some down time between camping trips.