Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2020, 05:24 AM   #1
steve james

Tow vehicle

Simple question probably complicated answer. I have a 2019 22RBSWE Cougar TT . I was pulling it with my 2012 Tundra (9800 LB tow pkg) which did a great job. I was looking at the 1500 2021 Chevy Silverado to replace my Tundra. It has a 12000 LB tow pkg. Then we decided on the Chevy 2021 Tahoe High Country 6.2L with Max tow Pkg. It comes with a 8100lb tow rating. The builds were almost identical but the tow ratings weren't even close . 12000 vs 8100, 4000lb difference ? Also i couldnt find the hitch load for the Tahoe. Is there a formula to figure that out ? Thanks for your your input.
steve james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:43 AM   #2
camper 2010

As of May 4, 2020, The hitch weight hasn't been released. The max payload is listed as 1671 lbs. This includes passengers, cargo, and hitch weight.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:45 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

First Tahoe vs Silverado in the towing world is like apples vs oranges. The truck is meant/built for towing/hauling. The Tahoe is built for comfort, groceries and going to the store. The towing differences reflect that along with the increased weight of an SUV vs an open bed pickup.

Look at the specs for that Silverado and see what class hitch it comes with with whatever package it has; class III, IV etc. That will give you some guidance on the receiver itself. The brochures will probably give you the max weight for the hitch with or without a weight distributing hitch. Without looking at a specific truck all you can do is spec out the truck you want and see what they say the payload is; which is what you need to go by. Completely, totally forget about the max tow rating for either vehicle - it is meaningless and will have zero bearing on the vehicle YOU will be buying.

You are wise to replace the Tundra with the Silverado (Tahoe not so much). The Silverado will be much more capable at towing than the Tundra.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:09 AM   #4
ajlight

The Tahoe probably has coil springs for smooth riding, The truck will have leaf springs that can handle payload much better,
Been there done that!
Old 06-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

My good friend bought a brand new Tahoe, towed his camper once and brought it back to the dealer and swapped it for a 3/4 ton truck. The Tahoe wheelbase is too short and the suspension is too “squishy”. I had a 2007 Z71 Tahoe and it rode great but when towing with it, it was always the tail wagging the dog. The first time it happened, the DW laid down the law and “forced” me to get. 3/4 ton.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
Grantmc1

Towing a 2021 Cougar 26RBS

I saw the comments on the issues of towing with a Chevy Tahoe i.e. "The tail wagging the dog." I'm considering the purchase of a Keystone Cougar 26RBS which is 29' 11" and 6604 lbs. dry weight. I don't have a tow vehicle yet and need don't want a truck since I need the functionality and seating capacity of an SUV when not towing. The Tahoe can tow 8,400 lbs. The longer Suburban can tow 8,100 lbs, but doesn't fit in my garage. The Ford Expedition is longer than the Tahoe and shorter than the Suburban and can tow 9,300 lbs. The RV salesmen only talk about weight, not length and say that the loaded RV should be 1,000 lbs under the towing capacity of the vehicle.
I'd appreciate any comments on potential issues I might be facing with any of these 3 vehicles. Thanks!
Grantmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #7
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve james View Post
Simple question probably complicated answer. I have a 2019 22RBSWE Cougar TT . I was pulling it with my 2012 Tundra (9800 LB tow pkg) which did a great job. I was looking at the 1500 2021 Chevy Silverado to replace my Tundra. It has a 12000 LB tow pkg. Then we decided on the Chevy 2021 Tahoe High Country 6.2L with Max tow Pkg. It comes with a 8100lb tow rating. The builds were almost identical but the tow ratings weren't even close . 12000 vs 8100, 4000lb difference ? Also i couldnt find the hitch load for the Tahoe. Is there a formula to figure that out ? Thanks for your your input.
Steve - I'm surprised your Tundra is/was only 9800 pounds. I just bought a F250, used to have a Tundra and it was 10,100. I can't speak for how the two brands in a 1/2 ton truck tow, but I'm about to find out. My Tundra did very well with the Passport, but you're Cougar is a heavier TT.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:17 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantmc1 View Post
I saw the comments on the issues of towing with a Chevy Tahoe i.e. "The tail wagging the dog." I'm considering the purchase of a Keystone Cougar 26RBS which is 29' 11" and 6604 lbs. dry weight. I don't have a tow vehicle yet and need don't want a truck since I need the functionality and seating capacity of an SUV when not towing. The Tahoe can tow 8,400 lbs. The longer Suburban can tow 8,100 lbs, but doesn't fit in my garage. The Ford Expedition is longer than the Tahoe and shorter than the Suburban and can tow 9,300 lbs. The RV salesmen only talk about weight, not length and say that the loaded RV should be 1,000 lbs under the towing capacity of the vehicle.
I'd appreciate any comments on potential issues I might be facing with any of these 3 vehicles. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. To answer your question you will have problems towing a 30' trailer with ANY suv. SUV's are designed to haul people in comfort not large travel trailers. SUV's typically have P metric tires with 30 some lbs of air in them. A truck designed to haul a travel trailer will have LT tires inflated to 55 lbs or more. Soft squishy riding passenger car tires (P metric) will flex excessively under load and contribute to sway.

Look at the numbers. First ignore what ANY salesman tells you. Most don't have a clue and will use the numbers to get the largest amount of money out of you. The only number on the trailer that matters is the GVW i.e. Maximum loaded weight. The trailer will never be at empty or "shipping weight" after it leaves the factory. That empty Wright doesn't even include the battery, LP tanks or spare tire. Then you have to think about all the other stuff the factory doesn't supply like water hose, waste water drain hose, tire chocks, leveling blocks, patio mats, and on and on.

Now you move inside. You'll need food and drinks, pots/pans, cooking utensils, plates, cups, cutlery, dish detergent and scrub brushes, pillows, blankets, sheets, towels, soaps, toiletries, cloths, shoes, toys/entertainment for the kids, and the list goes on and on. Basically you need to replicate the stuff you use daily in the house plus.

Second travel trailer number is tongue weight. For a travel trailer that should be 10-15% of the trailer weight. 13% is a good number to use soooo let's look at that 30' trailer. Loaded up you will have a tongue weight approaching or even exceeding 1,000 lbs. Remember that advertised "empty weight?" They advertise the tongue weight using that same mythical "empty weight". Now take that tongue weight and add another 100-120 lbs for a decent weight distributing hitch with sway bars..

Truck numbers. First is the everpresent overused, misunderstood "max towing". It doesn't mean a thing when towing a travel trailer! That number is derived by PULLING a flat trailer (low center of gravity, little wind resistance) with the majority of the load balanced on the trailer axle with very little tongue weight. TOWING is a PULL number. You need to HAUL a travel trailer, that's a CARRYING number. Think of towing this way, take a 4 wheeled garden cart and load it with 200 lbs. With no weight on the handle you can pull it relatively easily. Now take that same weight and placebit in a wheelbarrow. Now you have support a ratio of that weight and move it, that's hauling.

The most important number relative to hauling around a camper is MAX LOAD CAPACITY. That number for YOUR vehicle can be found on YOUR drivers door pillar. Numbers on the internet do not pertain to YOUR vehichle. They are max advertising numbers for a vehicle that's not like yours, read the fine print. YOUR numbers on that door pillar sticker will be found with this sentence "The combined weights of all occupants and cargo should never exceed xxxxlbs." That is your Max load capacity. That weight, like the trailer shipping weight, is empty from the factory. Anything add to, or placed in the vehichle is subtracted from that number. So, if the dealer or you add floor mats, cargo liner, car seats, passengers, toys or diaper bag, a cooler with lunch and drinks, a tool box, tools, the stuff in the glove box and storage pockets, EVERYTHING you put in reduces the payload hy that weight.

SUV's have limited payload because they are built on the same frame as the same pickup truck (typically 1/2 ton truck). The payload is reduced as the SUV has more roof area, more glass, more carpeting, etc. A typical SUV will have a payload around 1,400 to 1,000 lbs depending on options. Again, the door sticker is the only way to tell.

Start with that load capacity. Now subtract from that the following weights, trailer tongue, hitch & sway bars, passengers, pets, and everything else not supplied by the factory. Chances are you will quickly exceed the SUVs payload capacity.

There are other limiting weights that should not be exceeded. Front and rear axle weights, gross vehicle weight, and gross combined vehicle weights (I.e. that vehicle + the trailer). Typically you'll exceed the payload number first. NOTE - ANY of these numbers should not be exceeded individually so exceed ONE of them and it's game over.

So now we've discussed weights and look how long this is. So I won't go into how hauling a 11 1/2' tall by 30' long sail behind an SUV will react to side winds or a passing truck or his. Or how the trailer will affect the short wheelbase SUV if you have to change lanes in an emergency maneuver, or handle a blowout,nor if you drop a trailer tire off the pavement onto a low shoulder.

In summarizing here's my advice.... If the SUV is necessary you realistically need to look at a smaller trailer. Read the posts on this forum regarding this. It has been discussed ad nauseum. If you read these past posts you'll quickly see the folks that get defensive, want to argue, or rationalize by stating how they will "travel light" and "only go 150 miles away". Those statements aren't rational or logical. Weight in campers is cumulative as folks tend to bring more stuff over time and never remove stuff. The "only go a short distance" is not relevant as the laws of physics 1 block away are the same 1,000 miles away.

I know this was lengthy but I hope you find it useful. Stay safe and enjoy your soon to come adventures.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:31 AM   #9
Roper46

I second Marshall's advise. Even though most people disagree, the numbers he stated are correct.

If you will look at my very first post in the New Members forum, pulling my new TT home from the dealer scared me to death. I have experience pulling trailers including a fully loaded three horse slant trailer with a slide in Lance camper on the tow vehicle. But nothing compared to pulling my new Cougar home with a half ton GMC.

I thought and was told by Camping World that the 2020 GMC half ton AT4 would have no problem with the TT, wrong. Sales people just looking for a sale. After I slowly made it home safely, I tried to find a 3/4 ton GMC but there was & probably still is a shortage. I drove nothing but GMCs for over 15 years & still miss them. But I am very happy w the towing capability of my Ram.

Everyone new to towing these TTs should look at all the experiences like mine on these forums for your safety and that of your loved ones.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #10
LewisB

Back in the day, we bought a 24 foot bunkhouse pull trailer thinking our K5 blazer would be perfect. NO NO NO Short wheelbase, almost no payload (I didn't even know about payload back then), horrible experience. DW, 2 kids, & I pulled onto I10 one morning and were going about 60 when an 18 wheeler went by going about 90. Ever see those "trailer swaying" videos on YouTube? That was us - we were 1 final sway away from a roll over with the trailer tires screeching sideways down the free way at 60. Fortunately (praise to God) we didn't roll - but a week later I traded that K5 blazer for a long wheelbase F250 and have never looked back.

Pulling a 30 foot trailer with any SUV loaded with passengers just will not work payload wise, and you won't be much better with the 1/2 ton pickup from a stability standpoint. Save yourself from the "sideways on the freeway" bit; if you want to camp with a 30 foot trailer, buy a capable long wheelbase truck. A 3/4 ton is a much better choice, will still haul your passengers and gear, is more likely to accommodate that bigger trailer the DW will want next year, and it won't be much different in initial or operational cost and it just might save the life of you and/or your family.

Just my opinion, but based on real-life experiences.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:06 AM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Back in the day, we bought a 24 foot bunkhouse pull trailer thinking our K5 blazer would be perfect. NO NO NO Short wheelbase, almost no payload (I didn't even know about payload back then), horrible experience. DW, 2 kids, & I pulled onto I10 one morning and were going about 60 when an 18 wheeler went by going about 90. Ever see those "trailer swaying" videos on YouTube? That was us - we were 1 final sway away from a roll over with the trailer tires screeching sideways down the free way at 60. Fortunately (praise to God) we didn't roll - but a week later I traded that K5 blazer for a long wheelbase F250 and have never looked back.

Pulling a 30 foot trailer with any SUV loaded with passengers just will not work payload wise, and you won't be much better with the 1/2 ton pickup from a stability standpoint. Save yourself from the "sideways on the freeway" bit; if you want to camp with a 30 foot trailer, buy a capable long wheelbase truck. A 3/4 ton is a much better choice, will still haul your passengers and gear, is more likely to accommodate that bigger trailer the DW will want next year, and it won't be much different in initial or operational cost and it just might save the life of you and/or your family.

Just my opinion, but based on real-life experiences.
My neighbor was telling me why he switched to a fifth wheel some years ago. I didn’t know just thought he was upgrading. He had a 90s ram charger I believe and he was getting on to 695 in md and he said out of nowhere the trailer started swaying and made two large swings and then came all the way around and flipped over. He said he knew what to do but it happened so fast he kinda froze. He wasn’t speeding, just the right combination of a million different factors happening at once. Luckily he said it broke loose of the tow vehicle and didn’t hit anyone or flip his truck over. He was pointing the wrong way on 695 after it was over. He got a long bed 3/4 ton ram diesel and decided to go with a fifth wheel as well. Insurance totaled the rv and the truck. It was more the limitation of the short wheelbase he thought then anything else
Old 12-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #12
SummitPond

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
<clip>
It was more the limitation of the short wheelbase he thought then anything else
Grantmc1

John (JRTJH) gave a rule of thumb on another post relating wheelbase to trailer length. I summarize:

110" TV wheelbase is good up to a 20' TT length.

For every additional 1' of TT length add 4" to the TV wheelbase.

In a subsequent post he mentioned (my wording -->) that this rule of thumb may be a little conservative due to new traction control and other features not available on older vehicles.

Just something else to keep in mind when looking for a TT to fit a TV.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:49 PM   #13
Grantmc1

Thanks so much for your detailed answer. My plan was to trade in my Pacifica for a Tahoe or a Expedition with the max tow package. Since we don’t want a smaller TT it now it looks like I’ll need to look for a used F250 or 2500 instead. I guess I’ll keep my Pacifica.
To get out of towing altogether I’m also considering a very small Class A (25.5 feet) new - or a used Class B+. Not sure I can justify the cost. Anyway I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:00 PM   #14
Grantmc1

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and experience. Looks like I’ll be looking for an F250 or 2500 instead!
Old 12-20-2020, 05:09 AM   #15
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

If you buy a small MH don't get one with a corner bed, been there.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:52 AM   #16
markcee

Quote:
Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and experience. Looks like I’ll be looking for an F250 or 2500 instead!
Heck....spend a few hundred more bucks and go with an F350 or 3500. A lot more payload and pretty much same ride quality. This will cover you should you want to upgrade trailers in a year or two.

This would be particularly important if you are considering a diesel. Due to the weight of the diesel engine, you could have about 800 lbs. less payload than on a gas model truck. Where you might have 3500 lbs of sticker payload capacity on a 1-ton diesel, the 3/4 would be in the 2700 lb range.

Excess truck and payload capacity is never a bad thing!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #17
Grantmc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Heck....spend a few hundred more bucks and go with an F350 or 3500. A lot more payload and pretty much same ride quality. This will cover you should you want to upgrade trailers in a year or two.

This would be particularly important if you are considering a diesel. Due to the weight of the diesel engine, you could have about 800 lbs. less payload than on a gas model truck. Where you might have 3500 lbs of sticker payload capacity on a 1-ton diesel, the 3/4 would be in the 2700 lb range.

Excess truck and payload capacity is never a bad thing!
Thanks again.
Now that I am going to be looking at a truck it opens the door for me to look at the Cougar half ton fifth wheel series. I saw one I like that’s 28 ft 10 inches long and 7582 pounds dry weight. I don’t have much knowledge or experience with these but I hear that they are easier to tow. Since they call it a Half ton series I assume you could tow it with a half ton truck with the proper tow package. Would the same tow caveats apply with the fifth wheel as the regular travel trailer? I know that the tongue weight is a lot heavier with the fifth wheel.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:00 AM   #18
markcee

Quote:
Thanks again.
Now that I am going to be looking at a truck it opens the door for me to look at the Cougar half ton fifth wheel series. I saw one I like that’s 28 ft 10 inches long and 7582 pounds dry weight. I don’t have much knowledge or experience with these but I hear that they are easier to tow. Since they call it a Half ton series I assume you could tow it with a half ton truck with the proper tow package. Would the same tow caveats apply with the fifth wheel as the regular travel trailer? I know that the tongue weight is a lot heavier with the fifth wheel.
Note my signature includes a '1/2 ton' series Cougar, also note my signature includes a 1-ton truck....lol.

That 1/2 ton business is a marketing ploy that I fell for. I didn't do my homework, listened to the truck and RV salesmen and bought a 1/2 ton 'max tow' F150. Learning about towing after the fact, I realized I was at the very limits of payload and axle ratings...without carrying much of anything in the bed of the truck. Ford does make a 'heavy duty payload package' (HDPP) 1/2 ton that would likely do the job within ratings, but you would be hard pressed to find one in dealer stock.

In addition to being at the various weight limits, the standard issue 1/2 ton truck (even the max tow models) will not offer the same stability in towing a large 'sail' like a TT or 5th wheel that a 3/4 or 1-ton does.

You have a blank slate. I highly recommend purchasing more truck than you need for whatever 5th wheel or travel trailer you choose.

General rules of thumb for tongue weight is to figure 13% of travel trailer's GVWR and 20% of a 5th wheels GVWR for pin weight. This will come right off the top of your specific truck's payload rating. Whatever is left over is what you have for everything else in the truck, plus all passengers.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:06 AM   #19
LewisB

Quote:
Thanks again.
Some will disagree, but the concept of a "1/2 ton towable 5th wheel" is mostly marketing hype by the manufacturers. You will be faced with the same issues attempting to find a setup as you would with the SUV and a pull trailer.

Go back to Marshall's (flybouy) post and substitute "5th wheel pin weight" for "hitch weight". Use about 20% of the trailer's GVWR for the estimated pin weight and you arrive at the same crossroads. Most 1/2 ton trucks (especially the fancy ones) simply will not have adequate payload to deal with even the smaller 5th wheel trailers.

Unfortunately, there just is no free lunch on this issue. If you want to SAFELY pull a 10K 30 foot house on wheels down the highway at 60 mph, you are going to need a true truck. Hope that helps in your decision.

BTW, you are doing the right thing! Asking questions and listening to the answers. That is rare and refreshing on this forum. THANKS!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, you are doing the right thing doing your research up front. And as Mark said you have a clean slate so don't box yourself in right off the bat and have regrets.

A 1/2 ton is not capable of towing a 5th wheel, "1/2 ton model or not". Not even the HDPP Fords. I've never seen one that I know of but I have read about them - rare as hen's teeth. Even then, the minute you strap that 5th wheel (1/2 ton towable) on it you are maxed out on payload and gawrs. That is not a good place to be - btdt.

Since you are looking at a new truck AND a 5th wheel you owe it to yourself to just look at a 1 ton. Now several years back you would have had to place me on a stake with a fire under me to get me to say that....but, now, I can honestly tell you that it is the way to go. If you choose wisely you will have a nice safety margin in weights and a nice 5th wheel. The control is markedly better as well with a HD truck. Keep in mind that a 1 ton has limits as well and will not tow a large 5th wheel - that will require a dually. Also, as has been mentioned, always keep in mind the weight difference between a gas and diesel engine and what that exacts from the available payload.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle